SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are the books?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Mclaughlin
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Where are the books? Reply with quote

People were calling in on The Laura Ingraham Show saying that bookstores have no copies of Unfit for Command. The stores are blaming it on the publisher, Regenery. I ordered two copies from Amazon and received one. I went to a bookstore to find another copy for my brother and was told it would not be available until Sept. 25th. What is going on here? I hope the bookstores in Cincinatti have plenty of copies while the VFW veterans are in town.
redneckvet
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the same problem in Wilmington, NC. Called B&N, Walden's and Books-a-Millon yesterday. They do not have it and cannot tell me when they will. Frustrating!
Lily
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased my copy at Borders on Saturday I believe there was only one copy left.According to John O'Neill in a recent interview demand for the book has been very strong which could be why there are shortages.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,

I wonder if the publisher underestimated the demand for the book and is scrambling to get additional copies printed.

Part of it could be the fault of bookstores, but it also may be a supply problem.
republicanveteran
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered mine last monday at the local Hastings, and recieved it on Saturday.
GuitarJon
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered mine from Amazon online,, no "we shipped it" email as of yet.

I ordered that book and Weapon of Mass Distortion... another highly acclaimed book.

does anyone know why it's so slow to ship? is it due to overwhelming demand?
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to find the book here in OKC and it's like trying to pull teeth.

One funny thing, I went to B&N and asked about the book and was told by some JK wanna be in his smug little voice that the book wouldn't be out until Sept. 1, than right in front of him this nice young lady that also worked there said no there just sold out. Laughing

hehe he walked away pissed.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Major trade publication ignores Unfit for Command Reply with quote

My wife is a librarian and she pointed out to me that the major publishing newspaper Publishers Weekly (also at http://www.publishersweekly.com) doesn't include any mention of Unfit for Command in their list of best sellers (although the Clinton book and several anti-Bush books are included).

More of the liberal bias.. If you donate a copy to a library make sure they immediately catalog it for circulation and don't put it on a cart "to work on it later".
Bhist
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Got Mine At Borders Books Reply with quote

FINALLY -- I just picked up my copy of "Unfit for Command" from Border's Books. It was the last one on the shelf. The lady I know there said they sold out in one day and more are on the way.

I called Barnes & Nobles to see if they had any in stock figuring it would be 30% off. They didn't have any, but said they have 25 on the way. The bookseller said the reason for the delay is the publisher. My guess is that the publisher tried to put the book out much faster than originally planned -- trying to time it to the free publicity from the first airing of the ad.

Well, it looks like they're missing that timing by two weeks. The bookseller at B&N told me it's not due to be discounted, but he figures by the end of the first week the price will be reduced by 30%.

It's great to finally be holding this book in my hands. Now, on to read it!!
soccer4ever
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In LA, I ordered my copy last Wednesday and it still hasn't come in yet. The store manager told me there are close to 100 people on the pre-order list - they're hopeful the books will get here by Wednesday.

Anyone know how many copies were printed?
deadzone1003
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Got "Unfit for Command" in San Francisco Reply with quote

My son got a copy of "Unfit for Command" from Borders in San Francisco.
It was in a pile of other "Unfit for Command" books, right next to a pile of
Harry Potter books. If you could get a copy in San Francisco, it more of just a matter of time before a copy will be available for you. It seems that about everyone discalculated the demand for this book. Be patient. Laughing
Recon9
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a copy from a local book store this afternoon. I called before I went and the sales lady said they were going quickly and she sat one aside for me.
stevieboy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were 8 at the Barnes & Noble "New Arrivals" section (not discounted at $29.95) on West Main Rd. in Middletown, RI. There were 7 after I left at 6PM, Tuesday 17 Aug 04.

I think it is starting to show up at bookstores.
Navymomx2
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across a copy of the book on Sat. at Borders in Vancouver, WA. There was only one at the time. When I had called in the middle of last week they weren't expecting any copies until Sept.

I am now the proud owner of that copy and am having a difficult time putting it down, still have to get housework done and spend quality time with hubby when he comes home from work, LOL, so I sit and read for about an hour after hubby goes to sleep and in between cleaning.
JK
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Where are the books? Reply with quote

Publisher should at least have excerpts or chapters for veterans and the general public on the internet to read while correcting the shortage of books around the US.....

Let's forget about the traditional book stores and have Costco, BJs, Walmart, etc. stock the book to even more people will read Unfit for Command...

Also the issue of every library ordering the book(s) will further help in correcting the shortage problem, I expect many libraries are unaware of the book due to the filtering taking place from major newspapers, tv, trade publications, etc. plus the issue of whether librarians are usually liberal and avoid buying conservative supported publications..

JK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command" All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: