SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry biographer, Douglas Brinkley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beansoup
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Kerry biographer, Douglas Brinkley Reply with quote

MISSION: IMPLAUSIBLE
Kerry biographer
disputes campaign
Says claim candidate is contractually bound
to give him exclusive access to archive false

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: August 29, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

The answers to all the questions raised by critics of John Kerry could probably be answered by the large archive of documents he keeps in his home.

Douglas Brinkley, the 43-year-old author who wrote "Tour of Duty," the biographical account of Kerry's time in Vietnam, described it this way: "I'm talking a massive archive. I had to sit in his house, with this woman watching me, and go through the collection – 12-page letters, notebooks, journals. I made three different trips, and stayed there for days."

Brinkley is the only one who's been allowed to handle this extensive resource. Indeed, the Kerry campaign has refused to release his personal Vietnam archive, including his journals and letters, to other journalists, saying the candidate is contractually bound to give Brinkley exclusive access.

But Brinkley disputed this to the Washington Post yesterday, saying the papers belong to Kerry and are under his full control.

"I don't mind if John Kerry shows anybody anything," he said. "If he wants to let anybody in, that's his business. Go bug John Kerry, and leave me alone," Brinkley said.

His exclusivity agreement with Kerry, he explained, is limited only to the requirement that anyone quoting the material must also cite Brinkley's book.

The Kerry campaign also claims that it has released all of the candidate's military records, but the Washington Post has reported it was able to obtain only six of "at least a hundred pages" under its Freedom of Information Act Request.

Now, even those records that have been released are being challenged. Former Navy Secretary John Lehman says he has no idea where the citation in support of Kerry's Silver Star, appearing on the Democrat's campaign Web site and under his signature, came from.

"It is a total mystery to me. I never saw it. I never signed it. I never approved it. And the additional language it contains was not written by me," said Lehman. He suggested his signature had been placed on the document by an autopen.

Ironically, in November 2000, on the eve of the presidential election, it was George Bush's turn to have his character questioned because of his military service during the Vietnam war. Then, as in 2004, Bush was accused of having avoided overseas duty by joining the Texas Air National Guard. And then, as now, the missing records that would have documented his service provided fodder for the political charges against him. "No documents have been found to show he reported for duty as ordered in Alabama in 1972," reported Associated Press.

Leading the charge was Senator John Kerry, "wounded in Vietnam." On the weekend before Election Day, Kerry told a crowd of Gore supporters, "Those of us who were in the military wonder how it is that someone who is supposedly serving on active duty, having taken that oath, can miss a whole year of service without even explaining where it went." Now, Kerry is the one with gaps being pointed to by critics.

Kerry, if he chose, could instruct the Pentagon to open his full military personnel file by signing Form 180. And, as Brinkley has stated, there is no constraint on sharing his personal papers with other journalists.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=40195

"Swiftvet Donation site"
http://swift1.he.net/~swiftvet/index.php
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is too funny now his own biographer say's he's lieing LOL Very Happy
Jack Mclaughlin
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, we need to find a way to smoke this guy Brinkley out. I have proposed to NBC to sponsor a debate and provide a forum for John O`Neill and Douglas Brinkley. We know in his book Tour of Duty he elevated a piece of garbage into a national hero while denigrating those who served honorably and completed their 12 month tour.
kmudd
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this post where Brinkley says no strings attached.

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=40229&highlight=brinkley#40229
beansoup
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Kerry biographer, Douglas Brinkley Reply with quote

That link doesn't really nail down, who approached who for the book...Just by keeping a diary, and producing movies, tells me something..When did Kerry find the time to take care of the business at hand..Did he think he was at the is country club?? The no strings attached is a verbal statement..Don't hold water..

"Swiftvet Donation site"
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the odds of Brinkley pulling a Joe Mc Ginnis and switching sides and becoming anti Kerry as he hears more of his statements turn out not to be true?
rmeals
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Massive archive? Reply with quote

Massive archive for three and a half months of combat? Many members of my family have served in combat and some have spent entire careers in the military. I even spent a little time. I don't know of anyone who has a massive archive. You are lucky in some cases to find a box or two.
beansoup
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Kerry biographer, Douglas Brinkley Reply with quote

~~What's the odds of Brinkley pulling a Joe Mc Ginnis and switching sides and becoming anti Kerry as he hears more of his statements turn out not to be true?~~

The odds are very good, I would say, they seem to be in our favor...The more Brinkley, falls behind, the more he may switch sides, to help cover his butt...

Agree with the massive archives..Kerry went to VN for one reason...He's a ladder climber and that was the way to climb...After all, Swiftboat duty was inactive at the time he went..The Navy put them on Active duty, two weeks after he arrived..That must have put a dent in his camera Laughing

"Swiftvet Donation site"

Last edited by beansoup on Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more credibility Brinkley loses as an historian, and the more times he learns that Kerry played him, the better the chances that he'll talk more to "the other side."

As he sees this project of his raked over the coals for the half-azzed biography that it is, it just might induce him to come clean?

Who knows? We can hope. Smile
beansoup
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Kerry biographer, Douglas Brinkley Reply with quote

Agree...When the public weights Kerry's archives,( if he releases) against the book, the more they will realize, that it was Brinkleys talents and not the fantasy, ego, of the dreamer,sceamer ..Must have been rough for him to weave around the archives, and come up with some kind of book. Laughing

"Swiftvet Donation site"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: