SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robert E. Lambert speaks...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
efuseakay
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Robert E. Lambert speaks... Reply with quote

Well, apparently he has spoken out after all... now the only question is, how bad did the media twist his words?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040826/ap_on_el_pr/swiftboat_witness_2

Quote:

Thurlow, who has been prominent among a group of veterans challenging the Democratic presidential candidate's record, has said there was no enemy fire during the incident. Lambert, however, supports the Navy account that says all five swiftboats in the task force "came under small arms and automatic weapon fire from the river banks" when the mine detonated.

"I thought we were under fire, I believed we were under fire," Lambert said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

"Thurlow was far too distracted with rescue efforts to even realize he was under fire. He was concentrating on trying to save lives.

Now, someone tell me what the heck is wrong with that statement vs. the title of the article...

"I thought we were... I believed we were..."

vs.

Swiftboat Crewman: Kerry Boat Under Fire

Ugh...
Twidget
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's probably right. Here's my thoughts on what may have happened:

- Mine is detonated under the #3 boat, sending people flying and damaging the boat

- Gunners open fire on both banks instinctively

- Hostile fire comes from one bank (two would be stupid, they'd hit each other)

- Kerry takes off, and Rassman falls off (possibly after the boat hits an obstruction)

- Only people watching that one bank see any fire; the fire is inaccurate and quickly stops

- Outgoing fire lasts for between 40 and 120 seconds

- Thurlow races to the rescue of #3

- After outgoing fire ceases, boats start picking up survivors

- Kerry returns after a few moments, with no gunfire at this point, and pulls Rassman out of the water
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twidget,

Yep, that's the model/hypothesis I came up with in another thread. Point is, though that by the time Kerry came back to rescue Rasmann he was not under hostile fire...and thus did not deserve a medal (or a purple heart for that matter).

Truth is Beauty
EODARMY
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: LAMBERT Reply with quote

BOY, THAT REALLY HELPED. NOTHING HERE BUT IT IT COULD JUST AS EASILY SUPPORT THE sbvft. HELL YES THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE UNDER FIRE WHICH IS WHY THEY CUT LOOSE. I'VE NEVER HEARD ANYONE SAY THAT ONCE THE SWIFTEES STOPPED FIRING THEY WERE STILL RECEIVING INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND WHY WOULD ONE EVEN BEGIN RESCUE OPS IF ONE REALLY THOUGHT THEY WERE IN A KILL ZONE. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN AS THEY SAID "THE MAD MINUTE" AND TO HELL WITH RESURE OPS. GOT TO TAKE CARE OF THE LIVING FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
openfish24
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Out of all 5 boats 3 bullet holes in 90 minutes Reply with quote

A total of three (THREE) bullet holes in five boats that stayed in the same area for one hour and a half. It is not possible. That is of course assuming those three holes were not from the previous days action.

Pete Bartow
USMC 75-80
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not the boats were under fire or not isn't even relevant. That's nothing but a MSM/Democrat smokescreen to distract you from the real issue.

What is relevant is that Kerry lied about the incident. First of all, Kerry claims several mines when everyone else except Rassmann and the "band of brothers" says there was one. And even the "band of brothers" isn't sure about that. Some now say it may have been a rocket.

Secondly, Kerry fled the scene, which he has now admitted, and left the three remaining boats to save the crew of the 3 boat and salvage the boat.

Now look at what Lambert says:

1) I thought we were under fire, I believed we were under fire," - this is not the same as a definitive "we were under fire". So Lambert's recollection doesn't refute Thurlow's or O'Dell's, who was in a much better position to see than Lambert. Remember, O'Dell was in the tub, 14 ft above the deck. Lambart was the radarman, and was on the deck, probably near the bow.

2) Lambert didn't see that rescue because Kerry was farther down the river and "I was busy pulling my own boat officer (Thurlow) out of the water." Here Lambert confirms the Swiftvets' account. Kerry was so far downstream that Lambert couldn't even see Kerry or Rassmann.

Now think about this for a minute. If neither Kerry nor Rassmann were visible to the other boats, then how in the hell could they have been under fire, even if the other boats were? There's only one way. There had to be "5000 metres" of enemy fire, as Kerry claims. That's the only way that Kerry can have Rassmann under fire at the same time that the others are under fire.

3) Lambert retired in 1978 as a chief petty officer with 22 years of service and three tours in Vietnam. He does not remember ever meeting Kerry.

Get it? Lambert remembers nothing about Kerry. Why is this? Because Kerry wasn't memorable that day. That's a far cry from a Bronze Star hero. Lambert remembers Thurlow trying to save the 3 boat. He remembers him having to fish Thurlow out of the water. All these things confirm the Swiftvets' story.

You can bet I'll be blogging this tonight. It's just more evidence that the Swiftvets are telling the truth.

Last edited by baldeagl on Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
EODARMY
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Remember Kerry? Reply with quote

He can't even remember Kerry? Doesn't say much for Kerry or his heroric actions.
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone,

Lambert's new testimony adds evidence to a hypothesis/model I have been forming.

What if a small group (2-3) VC did remotely detonate that mine under PCF-3. They then fired a few quick hasty shots as they got the hell out of dodge...wise of them because they had to know that the suviving boats would open up with 50 caliber fire.

The surviving OICs don't remember the scattered enemy fire which may have only lasted a few seconds because of their proximity to the 50 cal weapons and the fact that the fire was militarily ineffective. However, Lambert and Sandursky from another point of view thought they might have heard some enemy fire.

LT (jg) Thurlow immediately dives in to rescue the personelle on PCF-3 while the initial fire was still going on. LT (jg) Kerry comes back about 10 minutes later (this is the fastest he could have gone 5000 meters and back in) and rescues Rasmann...but by that time the fire is over.

Conclusion: Thurlow's citation is completely accurate. So is Lambert's. This is also consistant with the command log, the three bullet holes in Thurlow's boat, and the TF report. It is also consistant with Rasmann's testimony and the testimony of all the other "pro-Kerry" witnesses.

However, it still backs the scenario put forth in Unfit for Command...and Kerry is still not entitled to the BS and Purples heart. IMHO this is probably what happened or something very much like it.

Truth is Beauty
Herb
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:
Twidget,

Yep, that's the model/hypothesis I came up with in another thread. Point is, though that by the time Kerry came back to rescue Rasmann he was not under hostile fire...and thus did not deserve a medal (or a purple heart for that matter).

It is very important to SEPARATE the "Purple Heart" issue from the "under fire" issue.

Kerry was NOT wounded at the river weir, fire or no fire.

Kerry was NOT wounded in the arm.

Kerry was wounded -- even by his own admission -- when he negligently blew up the RICE CACHE earlier in the day.

You can argue about fire or not fire with all the different testimonies and documents forever.

Kerry and the documents even indicate he MOVED his PH from another time, another place, and he even moved it from his butt to his arm in Rassmann's version of the story.

It was this statement by O'Dell that even shut Rassmann up in an interview when he started claiming "35 year old memory fades" and hasn't been in an unscripted press conference or debate show since (to my knowledge, and I would likely know.)

The BUTT wound also help repudiate Rassmann.

O'Dell has the BEST testimony on the fire (lack of) at the fish weir:

"I was 14' above the water line with a 360 degree view".
SF
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Lambert the guy named as witness on the report on the incident (or maybe it was another document)?
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lambert is the listed witness on the bronze star citation for Thurlow.

Truth is Beauty
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to think Thurlow and Kerry both got a bronze, with the real hero that day was Thurlow and the others...not chicken Kerry..
Beldar
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lambert's quoted at more length in his local paper:

http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2004/0826/local/stories/01local.htm

He's not a Kerry supporter.

My blogpost about it is at http://www.beldar.org/beldarblog/2004/08/lambertlambeau_.html
tvaughan
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagl wrote:

Now think about this for a minute. If neither Kerry nor Rassmann were visible to the other boats, then how in the hell could they have been under fire, even if the other boats were? There's only one way. There had to be "5000 metres" of enemy fire, as Kerry claims. That's the only way that Kerry can have Rassmann under fire at the same time that the others are under fire.

I am a smart man, Bald, but you're driving me nuts by seeing things that go right past me.

Great observation! Very quick and conclusive.

The smoke screen comment is vital as well, and I was trying to make that point in an earlier post.

The point is not whether there was enemy fire. The point is that Kerry lied, and there is no longer a dispute about this. The fact that he lied cannot be convincingly disputed.

We have to keep repeating this over and over again.

It would be so nice if the MSM was actually covering this story instead of covering it because they have to discredit it.
Talking point #1: Sign 180
Talking point #2: Sign 180
Talking point #3: Sign 180
igor
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SF wrote:
Isn't Lambert the guy named as witness on the report on the incident (or maybe it was another document)?

Rassmann and Kerry claimed that there were shots still being fired when Kerry helps Rassmann into the boat.

There may have been one or two shots fired initially, but I highly doubt that there was still hostile fire when Kerry returned 4 minutes later to pickup Rassmann.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: