SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Kerry Vietnam Legacy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gowilk
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: John Kerry Vietnam Legacy Reply with quote

I like many other Vets DO NOT want to refight the Vietnam War ... it was painful enough psychologically the first time.

Let me set the record straight as I see it. John Kerry may or may not have received commendations that he deserved it was far from uncommon to have company clerks submit names for every commendation possible with little valid backup ... In other words commendations were given out like candy and all of us know it. I do find it troubling that Kerry used a trick that I was not aware of to get out 8 months early "the 3 purple heart trick" especially since at least one of them seems to have been self-inflicted....NEVERTHELESS I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT HIS "SERVICE" SHOULD BE A CAMPAIGN ISSUE EITHER FOR HIM OR AGAINST HIM.

My main issue here is what he did to hundreds of thousands of us through his very vocal testimony and public appearances after his return. He used the credibility gained through service to paint all of us with a broadbrush that "we were war criminals and crazy".... This false impression was repeated so often that it became standard belief throughout America. JOHN KERRY OWES ME FOR:

1. Every time I was asked if I was a killer.
2. Every time I was discriminated against because my sanity was questioned.
3. Every time my service was devalued by friends, family and others.
4. Every time I had to read about one of my fellow compatriots being spit on or laughed at or called baby-killer.
5. Every time I failed to disclose my HONORABLE service to this country because it caused a debate.

I respect ALL the choices that many of us made as young men in their early 20's, whether to go to canada, national guard, stay in school or fight for their country (right or wrong) BUT

I cannot forgive John Kerry for his impact on MY life and as a result I cannot vote for John Kerry... it's all really as simple as that.

BTW i was a helicopter supply clerk in the rear with a bronze star, 2 arcom medals and a purple heart ... none received in the line of fire.
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am inclined to agree that we should not be re fighting the Viet Nam War, and I would prefer that Kerry's service not be an issue. However, he made his service THE issue with his various claims and conduct upon returning home from Viet Nam, and his posturing at his party's convention. Everyone who criticizes the actions of the SBVFT needs to ask themselves what they would do if they had served with such a collosal jerk and liar who was running for president when you could do something about it. If his four months in country is the only record he is running on, who better to challenge that record? Kerry would prefer that everybody forget everything he did after 1969. But he built his political career by defaming his country and everybody who served in Viet Nam, and has a mediochre record as a senator. What else is there to talk about besides his four month tour of duty? Talk about hollow suits....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: