SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have we been betrayed again?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wuzthere2
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Have we been betrayed again? Reply with quote

Holding a finger up to test the breeze lately and it was hit by some slime. Would like to know what the prevailing wisdom is regarding the Bush McCain alliance against the 527s. Have we just been used once again? And in case you think I'm just some hack, I helped pull two guys out the Bay Hap on March 13th...and don't have the first medal to show for it! That would be the same story for everyone on the 23 boat. Then as now, something doesn't smell quite right here. Kind of like just before an ambush.
drjohn
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, this is a real honor. Very Happy

My take is that they are taking the high road on this one so that they can smash Kerry on his post-war activities. McCain showed no objection to that and I'll hazard that you'll hear more of this this week. Bush continues to refuse to single out the Swifties.

It seems as though the stage is being set. Hannity asked John McCain if he thought it was fair to go after kerry on his post-war activities, and McCain said yes. It's being repeated. I think it is a prelude.

Last edited by drjohn on Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:34 am; edited 2 times in total
drjohn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have done all anyone could ask by bringing the whole issue to the open.

None but you Vietnam Vets could dare question what happened there and you who were there are the absolutely best qualified to engage him.

He has gotten away with this junk for so long it's awful. You have opened the door for us. You have pulled away that moral teflon.

We owe you more than we could ever offer.

For all of it.

Thank you very very much.

A non-vet whose brother-in-law did two tours in the Navy in Vietnam.
waltjones
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Betrayed? Nahhhhh ...... Reply with quote

This was a masterstroke by Bush; McCain I haven't quite figured out, other than he doesn't like opening up much of anything related to Vietnam, including POW issues.

As for GW - who has apparently been once again "misunderestimated" - there was NO WAY he could support us, not even in the slightest. First, he's not a 'Nam vet, and he's already been sufficiently hammered, thank you very much, for serving honorably in the Air National Guard. He wants this to be between us - Swiftees, 'Nam vets, and other vets who are convinced Kerry's not fit for CIC - and Kerry, period. Bush has been watching and listening a lot more than you think, and no, he's not stupid. Second, bringing McCain in and asking him to help limit or even eliminate 527s was the real masterstroke. McCain is unassailable, and now Bush never had to specifically condemn just the Swiftee's ad - he condemned them all! THIS DOESN"T HURT US! The FEC will, as usual, take no action prior to the election. Not only that - how many copies of UFC have been sold by now? Laughing

Life is good! Semper Fi!
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Have we been betrayed again? Reply with quote

Wuzthere2 wrote:
Holding a finger up to test the breeze lately and it was hit by some slime. Would like to know what the prevailing wisdom is regarding the Bush McCain alliance against the 527s. Have we just been used once again? And in case you think I'm just some hack, I helped pull two guys out the Bay Hap on March 13th...and don't have the first medal to show for it! That would be the same story for everyone on the 23 boat. Then as now, something doesn't smell quite right here. Kind of like just before an ambush.

I don't think so Wuz. I believe Bush knows this is a way to placate McCain and nothing will come of the lawsuit in time to affect the election.

These two guy kinda circle each other like a couple of cougars. Bush doesn't trust McCain because he tries to undercut the president on a lot of issues, especially campaign finance reform. Remember?

And McCain doesn't trust Bush because he thinks he was behind the S. Carolina thing in 2000.

IMHO
kmmpatriot
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even feel worthy of replying to this thread...thank you for your service NOW AND THEN! I think the Bush McCain alliance on the 527 issue is purely a political response to the Kerry camp's effort to blow back the impact your wonderful group is having on the campain. Take heart. From where I sit, you are fighting the good fight and I think Bush and McCain BOTH know that nothing they do know will effect this election cycle in terms of the 527s. You are all amazing and so many of us are in awe of your willingness to put yourselves out there as you have. Thank you again.

~Kylie
Slednfool
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would like to know what the prevailing wisdom is regarding the Bush McCain alliance against the 527s. Have we just been used once again?

Bush has to put as much distance between himself and the Swifties as possible and he knows darn well nothing is actually going to happen to the 527's. Dont be mad at Bush, he's trying to defeat Kerry.
DenisC
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not let your heart be bothered. The 527’s will NEVER be shut down without something under another name or number to replace them. Both Kerry and Bush know it and the talk is all for nothing.
kurtsprincess
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the public will believe what the SBVT stand for more if Bush has nothing to do with you. My belief is that Bush did not want to denounce the SBVT, but until he said something, the public thought the SBVT were one of his political groups. I was encouraged to hear him denounce all the 527's as a whole, which he knew nothing would be done before the elections.

I think he's grateful to you guys for more than you think.....after all, the 527's that have been smearing him are now being called on the carpet and when comparisons are done, the SBVT looks angelic compared to Moveon, ACT and the others.

You guys are coming across to us (the general public, not the MSM) as very honorable, dedicated and steadfast individuals who are still looking out for the security and honor of America.

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Michmaddave
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beauty is that Bush could NEVER cross McCaine, so he played a strategic move in getting McCaine to attempt to close and challenge the 1st ammendment. "congress will pass no law" compromising the freedom of speech. Bush attempts to side with McCaine, he attempts to "limit" 527s,
and he attempts to take the high road and not sling any mud which now is designated to the 527s without orchastrating any of it to keep distance required by the McCaine Feingold law, and gets McCain and Kerry to do the dirty work. If the attempt goes anywhere it will die in a lower court for comprimising the 1st ammendment, and Bush walks away clean while disarming his opponant, Kerry. Either way the 527s of Kerry look much more extreme and out of touch with the mainstream popular opinion, while
Bush's 527 looks like the patriots Kerry is pretending to be.
Best of all Bush is Misunderestimated once again...
This 527 is actually telling the truth though, which rings true and is why it has countered 60 million in George Soros Moveon money lies...
I'm actually looking forward to the debates.

Last edited by Michmaddave on Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Wuzthere2
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Thanks for the feedback Reply with quote

Appreciate all the kind words and thoughts on this. It just seems here in Florida i sense some growing resentment towards the swift sailors. It's very reminiscent of my return here in 1970. Not a comfortable feeling!
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell come on up to Massachusetts, you may get a warmer reception than you'd think.
Thanks for all you have done and are doing!! Welcome Home!!
drjohn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the feedback Reply with quote

Wuzthere2 wrote:
Appreciate all the kind words and thoughts on this. It just seems here in Florida i sense some growing resentment towards the swift sailors. It's very reminiscent of my return here in 1970. Not a comfortable feeling!

Drop in a little more often! Smile

We'll be happy to help with that! Very Happy
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ready for the Christmas in Paris with the VC..and the Pow/MIA issue....
good_show
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think. There is no betrayal here, but brilliantly calculated strategy.

1. Bush (and McCain) are playing this perfectly. One is voicing open "disdain" for the SBVT ads, the other is "honoring" Kerry's reported service.

2. Bush is condemning 527's knowing well that Kerry and the Dems have exploited these organizations far more than he or the GOP have. Has Kerry so condemned them? Or just the ones attacking HIM?

3. Bush, by avoiding open condemnation of the SBVT ads, has the press following the issue like jackals with the scent of blood.

4. The GOP is taking the wise course of not interupting an opponent while they are busy destroying themselves, which is exactly what Kerry and his people are doing. Kerry made this bed and now sleeps in it. Why wake him?

5. Finally, there is no betrayal here because the Swiftees are still here. You served your country then and you serve your country now. Kerry may have tried to tarnish your service, but he cannot combat your truths.

Carry on.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: