SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the buzz in MA?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: What's the buzz in MA? Reply with quote

Just curious if any of our forum members from MA might offer some insight as to how this news is being digested locally?
Lee Gauge
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a strong group of folks who think Kerry is a joke. In particular, there was a flap a few years regarding his comments about being Irish -- he came off as very patronizing.

That being said, if there are supporters in the middle ground regarding Kerry, the "anybody but Bush" sentiment is amazingly high in this state. Realize that all congressional representatives from the state are democrats, and they are skilled at fanning the flames of discontent. I attended a town meeting with John Tierney a few months back. The congressman walked into the crowd of 30 or so without an agenda.. he just opened it up for questions and fanned the anti-Bush sentiment whenever it cropped up. He had the crowd in a frenzy in 30 minutes. The meeting was completely unproductive in terms of addressing substantial issues. I left vowing to never attend another one... there is a reason that only 30 folks in a town of 20,000 show up to these things. It was three hours of listening to former Vietnam protesters rehash the glory days... the congressman didn't have to say anything substantial. Heck, I'm getting mad all over again just remembering the event. At the end of the day I was disappointed in Tierney, but it was the personalities in the crowd that were really disheartening.

Suffice to say, Kerry will win big in Massachusetts and the Swiftboat movement is deemed as just another Bush plot.
Nature-ally hold 'em in scorn.
nickb
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak of my gf's parents, they live in MA, just north of Boston. They both strongly dislike Kerry, always have. They are both lifelong residents of MA and lifelong republicans in their 60's. They both voted Bush in 2000, and are not voting at all this year. They have seen the ads and followed it somewhat in the news. They don't agree with what sbvt is doing. But they don't like kerry to begin with...

I also have 2 friends from MA who recently moved to RI last month. Both voted Bush in 2000 and are voting Kerry this year. They are recently married and in their 30's. They are voting while holding their nose.
MikeGranby
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickb wrote:
They are voting [for Kerry] while holding their nose.

They'd better keep hold of it for four years if he wins.........
rlmorel
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit, I am ashamed to go around the country and admit I am from Massachusetts. I love living here, there are a lot of great things, but it so so bloody liberal it makes my toes curl.

My friend and I went to Oshkosh the year before last for the big air show, and found ourselves in conversation with a group of about 10 people. When we said we were from Massachusetts, they all kind of looked at us and didn't say anything, then one of them said..."What's going on up there with Ted Kennedy and John Kerry...?" The shame.

That said, the coverage is just what you would expect, very biased. There are a lot of Kerry bumper stickers up here, I am waiting for my Bush sticker. I'll see how long it lasts before it is defaced.

Not all is lost, though! Mitt Romney is GREAT, and there ARE a lot of conservatives in this state. GO MITT IN 2008!
stevieboy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get your hopes up with this state. It votes solidly Democrat as some of my Bay State neighbors have explained. Yess we ahve had Repulican governors recently and governor Romney is trying to reconstitute the Republican Party. But all I know is what I read in the newspaper and the Boston Globe should be titled the Kerry Apologist. Keep in mind Mike Kranish is a reporter for the paper. I now know to totaly ignore a story with his by-line.

I guage some of this with letters to the editor responses. Most of them are in favor of Kerry on this issue.

What all of you non-Massachusetts residents need to do is start reading the Boston Globe, particularly the editorial page. You will get a glimpse of what America will be like under Presient John Kerry. You will see our culture, beliefs and attitudes.

It should scare the Hell out of you!
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all is lost here, Kerry may win this state based on the large number of Democrats and a lot of the liberal views here. Keep in mind though that Kerry barely won in his campaign for Senate though.We also have a very large Veteran Population here, that does not view him very favorably.
He is not viewed very favorably amongst his constituents. Though the ABB factor is a strong one amongst many. Some people have it so ingrained in them that the truth about Kerry is just ignored.
As to the Boston Globe, I stopped reading that rag a long long time ago!
MassInd
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough to say as I don't really know any swing voters. Conservatives already don't like him (even more so now), and the Lefties seem to be of the "So what, atleast he went to Vietnam" variety. I'd actually like to see a poll on the matter though.

The Boston Herald is conservative, but is looked down upon as tabloidesque as Oliphant of the Globe would say. I like it though!!

On a plus note, I did see a letter to the editor in the Patriot Ledger (smaller SE Mass paper) from someone urging people to read UFC. I thought that was pretty good considering they usually pick up the Left leaning national stories.

There is a good talk radio station here, WRKO, that is mainly conservative. So it's nice to hear others of like mind. Rush is carried on this station. Another host who has made his living bashing the Dems here is Howie Carr (also writes for the Herald). It is eerily similar to the problem SBVT is having with MSM. For atleast a decade, Howie's details all the wrongdoings of our Pols(and we're talk criminal behavior here). Yet he's never been sued for libel or slander. If it's really bad, and a local TV station happens to get a reaction from the Pol, the Pol justs laughs it off. Very arrogant mindset. Sound familiar?

Here's a link to Kerry's corner (maintaned by Howie)
http://www.wrko.com/listingsEntry.asp?ID=177492&PT=

I urge everyone to take a look. Worth a chuckle and a little outrageous.

If you want an inside look at Conservative bashing lefties in Mass, you can listen to Howie thru affiliates
http://www.wrko.com/listingsEntry.asp?ID=48584&PT=

One more point: Former Gov. Bill Weld, a good speaker himself, does think Kerry is very good in debates. A master debater, you might say. Laughing
lucky
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

Rimorel it is a shame that you have to be ashamed of your state. I go up through there noiw and again. It is gorgeous up through there. Now I know you meant the politics and not the beauty. I am safely in conservative territory in Texas and my little area i live in is staunchly also but up the road is a area that I row the windows up as i go through because of the stench of liberalism.
truthseeker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmm Reply with quote

Look at Howie Carr, http://www.howiecarr.com a talk-show host in Boston, for pithy comentary on Kerry. There is animosity there that goes way back.

Or from Southeastern Massachusetts, some dissent in the New Bedford Standard-Times http://www.s-t.com as I guess one of the more vocal Kerry swift-boat opponents is from there.

So, as said before, don't expect much from the People's Republic of Massachusetts.
nickb
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmmm Reply with quote

Quote:
don't expect much from the People's Republic of Massachusetts.

Like I mentioned before, my gf's parents have never liked Kerry. they know a lot of people who don't like Kerry. be careful when you paint such broad strokes with a large brush.

That's like saying that all muslims are bad because some crashed the planes into the WTC. what about the ones who are working with us in Iraq to make a democracy? Are they bad too simply because they are muslims?

I did show my gf's dad this site, and he did some reading as well as looking some at the discussion boards. his opinion (don't shoot the messenger here..) is that the emotion shown on the discussion boards detracts from the factual argument being persented. the derogatory manner in which anyone who disagrees with any statements weakens the arguments, and frankly turned him right off. he seemed to think if you had the facts behind you, the facts should be shown through, without the distraction of name calling, etc. some responses (the same complaint he has about liberals) appear to be "knee-jerk" posts, and not as well thought out.

Keep in mind, he is a life long conservative republican, a buisnessman (with the same company for over 30 years) who was rejected from the military due to medical reasons.

this is just a view from the outside. we talked about this for a while.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that Mass. was the only state to carry McGovern. This is the state where you vote for the Kennedy of your choice, and vote often.

Think Mass. will come to its senses anytime soon?

Vous ne vez pas chance!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickb, the fact that he was never in the military is the key to his opinion about this site.

I am not a Vietnam era veteran, but I despise Kerry for what he did to my older brothers and sisters in arms and I despise him for his betrayal of our POW/MIA's and I despise him for the way he has already betrayed our younger brothers and sisters.

Emotion? Hell yes, there's emotion!

He slandered an entire generation of American Armed Forces! He negotiated with the enemy and brought their KGB-scripted propaganda back here and mouthed it before our own Congress.

John F'n Kerry has the wrath of every Vietnam vet to face - along with those of us who proudly stand with them, today.

Emotion? He hasn't seen emotion yet.

It's coming time to pay the piper for the dance....

Twisted Evil
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Mass. people are here, I have another question: what are you hearing locally from Ted Kennedy regarding Kerry? Is he staying isolated from this, or is he making some public statements showing his support? How he is reacting might be interesting to watch.
Thanks, and you have my sympathy. Wink
nickb
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
the fact that he was never in the military is the key to his opinion about this site.

I was simply trying to point out what others from MA thought. You seem to fault him because he was not in the military, so his opinion is not vaild. most of the country was not in the military, and their votes count the same as any other. you might want to keep that in mind when you present your argument, or else you are preaching to the choir.

Also, the fact that he was not in the military was because he was denied entering the service due to medical issues. I suppose it's his fault he couldn't get in... so his opinion doesn't count?

you won't win him over that way for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: