SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Media Reports Bush's seeming "about face" ...a lit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillGremm
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Media Reports Bush's seeming "about face" ...a lit Reply with quote

Not even a Flip-flop, but after all the great things the swiftees have done that have peripherally helped George Bush, I thought he was headed for a shipwreck with the comments he made to Matt Liar.

President Bush, whom I am voting for, has not been as great for the swiftees as they have been for him politically. So when I heard his comments about the war being "not winnable" to Matt Liar I could hear this repeated for the next 60 days by the Kerry camp.

I hope the president got an earful from his advisors and I hope there is not a repeat of something like this.

The swiftees can only come through so much. They are non-partisan and the President is being greatly helped in the polls by their wanting to set the record straight.

So my advice to the President's advisors is this
1. Keep him away from the liberal press, he gets flustered and by wanting to appear to be intensly transparent his mouth is prone to get ahead of his brain.

2. Aides say that Pres. Bush never allows any discussion about LOSING the race for re-election-----I suggest he take his own advice and NEVER again speak as if the war on terror is not winnable.

God Bless the Swifties and may Kerry remain the most liberal senator in the most liberal state.
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the complete answer. President Bush was taken completely out of context. What the president was saying was that until we could change attitudes, the war on terror wasn't winable.

This is absolutely correct....but don't expect the full tape to be played.

Truth is Beauty
Son Of The Godfather
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Totally out of context - the headline said one thing for the suckers, the article was quite different.
In addition, he clarified with today's speech "We will win the war on terror."

SOTG
mudderfudder77
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Settle down. Bush knew exactly what he was saying. He's right you can't win "it", terror will never be erased from the face of the Earth. We will never be able to eradicate terrorists completely. Terrorists are not the Axis of WWII, they have no govt to take over, no land to occupy. What Bush did say though, was that we can create a situation where terrorists are no longer state supported - where there are no longer countries that provide harbor for terrorists. Where every country is vigilant in it's pursuit of terrorists. Why should Bush make a statement that would never come to fruition. This is a fundemental difference between Bush and Kerry. Bush says what he believes and what he knows. Kerry says whatever the audience wants him to hear.

Last edited by mudderfudder77 on Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
kmudd
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bush means we will always have to be fighting terrorism. It is not like fighting a country with a military where there is an end of a war with a peace treaty . We will always have to be on guard against terrorists.
learjet
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This quote was clarified by Scott McClellan yesterday at the daily press briefing. Personally I don't care how many mis-statements they run with. Let the President get out amongst the people, he's a personable guy then contrast that with the liberal elitest Kerry. I think the average folks in this country "get it".

When the CIC speaks it's a plus for him, when Kerry speaks it's a minus.
Desert Storm Vet
BillGremm
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with what he said was that it was not a "sound" soundbite. When you are speaking to the liberal media in a one-on-one tv interview--you need to be on mark and message each and everytime.

I heard the interview in context too and know what Bush was trying to say, but honestly with one remark he had to cover it with a pageful of supporting comments.

My wife and I are trying to reach out and encourage people to vote for Pres. Bush and then he blunders "big". I don't want soldiers in Iraq to have any reason to doubt their mission ecspecially the CIC's own words.

I know he will do the right thing ---- I just want him to say the right thing.
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the ridiculous dishonest way that GWB's remarks were
taken out of context by the media and then reported as a major flap,
will backfire on the media long term.
No one on the planet believes GWB is unsure of himself. Very Happy

The Swift Boat Vets campaign is highlighting the incredible bias in
MSM.
This latest uproar isn't even going to be believed by the Dems/Libs.

They say the average American is fair minded and can see past the
hype. I think they are.
There's alot of computers on the internet these days.
I canceled my local paper because its useless, I do not watch any
of the ABCDEFG networks and I'm satisfied I'm better informed for it.

This election will be remembered for the SBVT internet campaign and MSM
will begin to wither on the vine.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He knows who he is, he knows what he says, and unlike John F-ing Kerry, he means what he says. Attitudes do have to be changed to really win the war on terror. Sure, there are other ways of saying what he said, but for anyone to mischaracterize it makes then guilty of being disengenuous. A rose by any other name, is still a rose. The opposition spends a great deal of time trying to get people to believe things that simply aren't true. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who is familiar with bush would not believe any of the tripe about him spread by the libs. Those that would believe it don't need to hear it because they're already so much against Bush that nothing is going to chage their minds anyway. This is all a lot of crap over nothing.
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think President Bush was just trying to say if we elect Kerry we would lose the war on terror.

I can just see Kerry trying to negotiate with Bin Laden and asking if he has a seven point plan that he could sign.
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax. The story is already dying down. The GOP is one of the best in the business at damage control followed by a counterattack. It is now crystal clear even in the MSM what President Bush said....and the story is starting to fade (just look at the bylines).

Truth is Beauty
the0point
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MSM got their 'hit and run'. That's all they cared about. Anything to knock down the mood after the stellar speeches from last night. They'll print the clarifications and let the story fade, hoping the headline sticks with swing voters. Let the Bush team worry about their own mis-speaks. The best thing is for us to just concentrate on the next round against Kerry.
diane in IL
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the liberals really think there is "a story" in that remark it just further illustrates their total lack of understanding about the nature of terrorism. Pure shallowness on their part to even think they "got him".

diane in IL
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When "Terror Attack" co-headlines with "Man Bites Dog", we will know the war has been won.

Until then, we'll just be speculating.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it's amazing that anyone could hear what he said and misunderstand it.

Big blunder? Not even a blip. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: