SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry:A Question of Intelligence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ETEE
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Kerry:A Question of Intelligence Reply with quote

I am sure Kerry see's himself as a man of superior intellectual capabilities, but I need to be reassured. Wink And I'm going to need some of you Naval Officers to assist me in this endeavor.

I was an Enlisted man and took my GCT(General Qualification Test) in February, 1967. I scored a GCT of 66 and an ARI of 62. I had no idea of what it meant until 15 years later when a friend told me about MENSA.

MENSA is an organization of high intelligence. They only admit those who have scored in the top 2% of all persons tested. 68 is the admittance number for the Navy GCT. I was told that my score of 66 places my I.Q. at approximately the 96th. percentile and I was advised that I couldn't be admitted on that score but could retest and possible score higher, as intelligence increases slightly with age.

Kerry's Officer Qualification Test (Navpers 318 Rev. 6-62) is listed on his website. You will note that it lists the scores at: 58 50 Unfortunately, the form is blurred.

http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/Training_School_Record.pdf

I would like to know the following:

The words on the form that are blurred over the numerals 58 and 50. Does anyone have their own copy that will alow me to define them. If I can answer that question, they can be submitted to MENSA for an evaluation.
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Mensa member and officer in the organization since 1981. If I have a favorite political theory it might be called “High IQ Meritocracy”. Politicians, as a rule, are not called to such a form of government.

So much attention was directed at Bush for allegedly being stupid I guess nobody bothered to find out that Kerry isn't the brightest bulb in the house. Kerry's scores in his Navy records are in the "bright normal" range.

I want to write an article for the Mensa newsletter making a comparison between the two men.

I need Bush's scores from his military records.

In another forum on this site I read that Bush's college grades were better than Kerry's.

Can I get cites from anyone for Bush's AF intelligence scores, and both Kerry and Bush grades in college?

Sam
Bernard Cullen
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Kerry:A Question of Intelligence Reply with quote

ETEE wrote:

I was an Enlisted man and took my GCT(General Qualification Test) in February, 1967. I scored a GCT of 66 and an ARI of 62. I had no idea of what it meant until 15 years later when a friend told me about MENSA.

MENSA is an organization of high intelligence. They only admit those who have scored in the top 2% of all persons tested. 68 is the admittance number for the Navy GCT. I was told that my score of 66 places my I.Q. at approximately the 96th. percentile and I was advised that I couldn't be admitted on that score but could retest and possible score higher, as intelligence increases slightly with age.

Kerry's Officer Qualification Test (Navpers 318 Rev. 6-62) is listed on his website. You will note that it lists the scores at: 58 50 Unfortunately, the form is blurred.

http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/Training_School_Record.pdf

I have no specific knowledge of these tests but my guess is that Kerry's score was 58 and this amounted to a 50 percentile score - presumably against other officer candidates. However, you are right we need to identify exactly what the columns refer to.

Interesting issue. Reminds me of the assumption by many that Gore was almost a genius. His subsequent behavior indicates that this was somewhat of an overstatement.

I hasten to add that historically, class standing and test scores have little to do with command/political/business leadership abilities and definitely nothing to do with moral leadership.
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how to read the document. GCT (General Classification Test) scores are not a percentile of officers. They are a percentile of all people in the Navy and correspond to IQ tests accepted by Mensa. Kerry is 15% below the minimum requirement to join Mensa, or the 85th percentile of all Navy personnel. The 98th percentile GCT is 68.

What I need to know is college grades for both men and IQ scores for "W".

Can anyone help?

Sam
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me I've heard that Bush's SAT for Yale was about 1300 out of 1600.

Here's a quote from a blog in Aussieland. Do a search on Bush SAT if you want to know for sure. Kerry's to the best of my knowledge has not been published.

Quote:
I just read your attempt to amuse readers with George Bush's resume. What is very interesting to me was not the stuff that was included in his resume, but rather the stuff which was left out that a lot of Australian readers would not be aware.

Bush is the holder of two degrees from what most Americans would regard (and probably most people in the world who are aware of tertiary education) the two best and most prestigious universities in the world. His undergraduate degree was from Yale and he later obtained an MBA from Harvard University.

Gaining entry to Yale is difficult to say the least. All prospective students are required to sit for their SAT's, which are a form of aptitude tests and comprise a verbal and numeric examination. Each test is out of 800 and therefore a perfect score is 1600. In addition to the SAT's prospects need to do well in the last 2/3 years of their high school studies, receive numerous recommendations from teachers and eminent people. Prospects are also hauled up for an interview and need to write an essay which answers the reason Yale would be a good match. Bush scored a very credible 1330/ 1600 for his SAT's and would not have got into Yale unless he filled the other rigorous requirements which need to be met.

To get into Harvard MBA school a student prospect also needs to demonstrate a certain mental capacity for higher level problem solving and sit for another aptitude test.

As you can see, all in all these requirements are quite rigorous. I know this because, although we live in Melbourne, we are hoping to get our son into an Ivy league school next year. Just so you understand things a little better, Bush's SAT score would in fact translate into an IQ of about 135. Gore's SAT score were in fact lower than Bush's and he did not complete either a J school or law degree. He flunked out of both course as far a as I know.

Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that made me happy. Mensa accepts SAT scores

SAT or CEEB scored prior to 9/30/74 1300
scored from 9/30/74 through 1/31/94 1250

Hey Look at that! "W" can join Mensa and Kerry isn't smart enough.

I really need to nail this down before I go public with it. Can I get another source?

What about college grades?

Sam
ASPB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try googling it for Bush. I understand nothing has been made public on Kerry. The military GCT may be a way to proceed but you need more understand of the grading.

I honestly don't remember the grading system other than being told at the USN Induction Center at 50 Folsom Street in San Francisco in 1965 that's I'd scored in the 99th percentile and it was the highest they'd ever seen in that facility. They could have just been BSing me.
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
Try googling it for Bush. I understand nothing has been made public on Kerry. The military GCT may be a way to proceed but you need more understand of the grading.

I honestly don't remember other than being told in San Francisco in 1965 that's I'd scored in the 99th percentile and it was the highest they'd ever seen in that facility. They could have just been BSing me.

I understand Navy testing. I need someone who understands AF testing.

I found another referrence but that said "W" had an SAT of 1206 which translates to be about the same as Kerry's

I either need a credible SAT citation or "W" scores from AF testing.

Anything on college grades?

Sam
ASPB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle The Hun wrote:
ASPB wrote:

I honestly don't remember other than being told in San Francisco in 1965 that's I'd scored in the 99th percentile and it was the highest they'd ever seen in that facility. They could have just been BSing me.

I understand Navy testing. I need someone who understands AF testing.

I found another referrence but that said "W" had an SAT of 1206 which translates to be about the same as Kerry's

I either need a credible SAT citation or "W" scores from AF testing.

Anything on college grades?

Sam

Sam,

Am I wrong or wasn't the GCT the same test for all branches of the military?
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Am I wrong or wasn't the GCT the same test for all branches of the military?[/quote]

Nope. See below for Mensa minimum qualification. By the way, congratulations, you can join if you want to.

ACT Composite prior to 9/89 29
effective 9/89 N/A

Army GCT***
prior to 10/80 136
effective 10/80 N/A

Navy GCT***
prior to 10/80 68
effective 10/80 N/A

Also Kerry is a lawyer so he should have LSAT scores. Mensa minimum requirement:

LSAT prior to 1982 662
1982 through 5/91 39
effective 6/91 163
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: