SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August 31st SBVFT letter to Kerry
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FredRum
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: August 31st SBVFT letter to Kerry Reply with quote

Haven't seen this referenced in the main forum yet so I thought I'd toss it up here. It's up on the main site at:

http://swift4.he.net/~swift4/article.php?story=20040831145849995

August 31, 2004

Senator John Kerry
901 15th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005

Dear Senator Kerry:

As you prepare for your address before the American Legion in Nashville, Tennessee, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth encourages you to use this opportunity to clarify your actions in Vietnam and your statements about your fellow Veterans and shipmates when you returned home. Since you have made your four-month tour in Vietnam the centerpiece of your campaign, we respectfully insist that you be truthful. The public is owed a full and honest accounting of your actions. Veterans are owed an apology from you and an acknowledgement that there was no basis in fact for the accusations you made against them.

We urge you to:

1. Apologize for your conduct once you returned from Vietnam. Your exaggerated testimony before the US Senate; the blanket indictment of your fellow veterans; throwing away medals and ribbons; all of these actions dishonored America and the armed forces. Your rhetoric and actions were not only wrong, they aided the enemy and brought great pain to POW's, veterans and their families.

2. Clarify the conflicting accounts involving the Bay Hap River incident of March 13, 1969 (Bronze Star and 3rd Purple Heart). You have now described three different versions of this incident. In the first version of this incident presented during the Democrat National Convention, you stated: "No man left behind," suggesting to the American people that you alone stayed on the river to rescue Mr. Rassmann. Later, when forced to acknowledge conflicting eyewitness testimony from fellow swift boat veterans, you said that your boat left the scene to return moments later to retrieve Jim Rassmann from the water. Yet, in another version of the same incident discovered in the Congressional Record, you reported that your boat struck a mine and Rassmann fell off the boat. Mr. Kerry, please explain to your fellow veterans and the American people which version is the truth.

3. Affirm that the injuries for which you received your purple hearts never required any medical treatment beyond perhaps a bandage and that, in all instances, these injuries were self-inflicted and came from your own weapon. Further, that if any of these purple hearts were falsely awarded, that you would not have been eligible to leave Vietnam after serving only four months.

4. Acknowledge what your own biographer is now saying, that the Christmas in Cambodia claim is "obviously wrong,” that you were never in Cambodia over Christmas or any other time during your brief, four-month tour in Vietnam and that your statements before the United States Senate in 1986 were false.

If you undertake these steps we will be satisfied that the American public has been sufficiently apprised as to these aspects of your career, and we will discontinue the media advertisements you have sought so fervently to silence.

Please know that Swift Boat Veterans for Truth are eager to close our own personal chapters on Vietnam and instead focus on the war we're currently fighting—the ongoing war on terrorism. In the absence of full public disclosure and a public apology, we will continue efforts to carry our message to an ever-expanding base of grassroots supporters.

Senator Kerry, we want to get Vietnam behind us. But, we can only do so if the truth is told.

We respectfully await your reply.

Sincerely,

Swift Boat Veterans for Truth

Last edited by FredRum on Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see that read in prime time....wow!

http://tonyk.smugmug.com/photos/1822816-L-1.jpg
USN 1983-1992
BB Stacker
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe he will do all of these things...... when pigs fly!
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope many in the media pick up on this. Seems very reasonable, I would think, to anyone who reads it.

Most of all, I would like to hear from Kerry directly.
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be a critic here, or dispute anything of the SwiftVets, but I thought only 2 of Sen. Kerry's PH were self-inflicted with his own weapon? Perhaps, I am misunderstanding this statement in the letter?

"2. ...Affirm that the injuries for which you received your purple hearts never required any medical treatment beyond perhaps a bandage and that, in all instances, these injuries were self-inflicted and came from your own weapon."

Last edited by ord33 on Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
snowy251
Seaman Recruit

Kerry will never apologize for what he said or did. I would love to see it.
Maybe someday when pigs fly.

USMC
80-84
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

He can't do it. It's all he [is]. He will be nothing if he admits the truth.
milspec
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A copy of this letter should be sent to all media as an open letter to Senator Kerry... The letter shows a willingness to end the ads if the truth is spoken by JK. However I'd add a statement regarding the Paris meetings with the VC/NV.

D H C
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion a great analysis and comparison of the Swift Vets offer by this blogger
http://beldar.blogs.com/beldarblog/2004/08/swiftvets_offer.html
Becky
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: August 31st SBVT letter to Kerry Reply with quote

FredRum wrote:
Haven't seen this referenced in the main forum yet so I thought I'd toss it up here. It's up on the main site at:

http://swift4.he.net/~swift4/article.php?story=20040831145849995

August 31, 2004

Senator John Kerry
901 15th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005

Dear Senator Kerry:

As you prepare for your address before the American Legion in Nashville, Tennessee, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth encourages you to use this
(snipped body)

Sincerely,

Swift Boat Veterans for Truth

Excellent letter! I hadn't seen it yet. I hope if he doesn't do what
the letter requests of him that the people stand and turn their backs
on him.
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ord33,
In the book O’Neill makes the point that they only feel confident that they have enough witnesses to make a solid case that two of the three purple harts were self inflected but they believe that the third one was also. They just don’t have enough evidence or witness to make the case. The story is that he was again playing around with the M-79 grenade launcher and again got some shrapnel. You would think he would learn his lessen.
greenvale
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure would like to see that read in the media..what an awesome group these SBVT are Very Happy Makes me so proud to be an American!
God Bless America,
Greenvale
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ord33 wrote:
I'm not trying to be a critic here, or dispute anything of the SwiftVets, but I thought only 2 of Sen. Kerry's PH were self-inflicted with his own weapon? Perhaps, I am misunderstanding this statement in the letter?

"2. ...Affirm that the injuries for which you received your purple hearts never required any medical treatment beyond perhaps a bandage and that, in all instances, these injuries were self-inflicted and came from your own weapon."

I thought that the 2nd was considered by the people on these boards to be above suspicion - the only legit PH he received. Hope folks aren't changing their stories.

I really don't understand this letter. It seems very ill-considered. Kerry needs only fake an apology, or repeat his 'regret' over his 'use of language' in the 22 APR testimony before the Fulbright Committee, and then claim he fulfilled his part of the deal. And the 'Swifties' better shut-up, now, or look at how dishonorabe they are; what 'whelchers'.

At the least, since they can't take back this apology demand, now, they should at least amend the document to include Kerry coming clean about any fire received rescuing Rassman, or at any other time, on 13 MAR, and whether he fled through 6 miles out and back of fire, and then concerning who was on the skimmer on 2 DEC, who wrote the reports, admit it was himself, and explain the failure to correct DD214 with his DD215, and those Lehman citations, and whatever else - and SEND that to the LM.
7rrfs
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this gets bookmarked and spread to the left wing sites I like to torment....
FF1047
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Perfect trap for Kerry ... Reply with quote

I think the part about ALL 3 PH's being self inflicted is the perfect trap ...

Why ... because if Kerry says, "Wait only 2 of my medals were self inflicted", the Swifties can say, "OK we'll give you one of three".

Kerry can't get into a back and forth discussion about this because the more he talks to the Swift Vets the more it looks like the charges are valid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: