SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POW Wayne Smith speaks about Kerry,"He sold us out"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Kerry - VVAW Leadership & "Wintersoldier"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Third
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: POW Wayne Smith speaks about Kerry,"He sold us out" Reply with quote

Naples Daily News

Guest commentary: Kerry's words prolonged the misery of Vietnan POWs
By WAYNE SMITH, Special to the Daily News
September 7, 2004
"Hanoi Hanna" was screeching away on the awful squawk box in my four-walled POW stench. She was directing her babble to servicemen who were still engaged in the conflict. "GIs lay down your weapons and revolt. Do not be the last soldier to die for a cause that Americans think is unjust."
This is a paraphrase but the theme was repeated often late in my internment in the 1970s. I could not recollect it at the time but I found out after my repatriation that these same words were the hallmark of John Kerry's 1971 testimony before the Fulbright Committee: "How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?"
I was more fortunate than many who were POWs held in North Vietnam between 1964 and 1973. I only spent five years and two months in captivity. Some endured almost nine years.
I was a junior officer and not subject to as many beatings nor tortured as badly for propaganda purposes as was the case for the more senior officers. Their confessions of war crimes would have a more dynamic effect. They stretched the limits of human endurance in their resistance. I was "punished" for getting caught communicating by tapping through the walls and was threatened to be shot as a war criminal if I did not write and sign confessions for my "atrocities."
We supported each other and resisted as best we could to keep from being exploited for their propaganda effort.
Here are some excerpts from our Code of Conduct:
"... I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy. ... I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information nor take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. ... I am required to give name, rank, service number and date of birth ... I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause."
Though not a POW, John Kerry was a Naval Reserve officer after he was discharged from active-duty status. Can anyone deny that he blatantly provided aid and comfort to the enemy? He is pictured in the war museum in Ho Chi Minh City as a hero of the communist cause and credited as one who helped defeat the United States.
The North Vietnamese knew they could not defeat the United States militarily. They were encouraged to hang on only because they thought that they could win through the liberal media and anti-war protesters in the streets of America. John Kerry was their poster boy in the effort.
One ploy used by the North Vietnamese for their propaganda effort was the release of POWs in groups of three to anti-war groups. Our policy, which was established by our ranking officers, was that we would be released in this order: "First the sick and wounded, thereafter in order of shoot-down date." Only 11 POWs violated this policy and accepted early release. One POW was ordered to take the deal against his wishes. Can you guess who would have been first in line to leave in those circumstances?
Bombing over North Vietnam ceased for almost three years while the war dragged on until B-52s conducted night bombing raids for 10 days in December 1972. Only a few weeks later the peace accord was signed.
Was the combat prolonged because of the divisiveness in this country? Was my misery lengthened? Absolutely.
I have not spoken to him about it but I cannot fathom why John McCain, who was on my adjoining wall early in my stay, is protecting Mr. Kerry. McCain was forced to read over the "box" but he actually provided some comic relief by putting the accent on the wrong sy-LAB-ble. I do know that he testified upon his return how damning and demoralizing the material from American anti-war activists were to us.
I don't care about Kerry's shenanigans to arrange his shortened tour. I care about what he did after his return, which resulted in needless loss of life. He sold us out, and through his outrageous and unfounded testimony gave the North Vietnamese ammunition to demoralize and exploit me and discredit our armed forces.
It's not about Vietnam; it's about the character of a man. I sincerely hope that character matters to most Americans.

Wayne Smith is a 1965 graduate of the Air Force Academy. He was a fighter pilot and flew 90 missions over North Vietnam and Laos before being shot down in January 1968. His honors for service in combat include the Legion of Merit, two Silver Stars, two Distinguished Flying Crosses, two Bronze Stars, seven Air Medals and the Purple Heart. Now retired, his corporate offices include president and chief operating officer of BF Goodrich Chemicals. He briefly flew 727s as a pilot for Eastern Airlines.
Copyright 2004, Naples Daily News. All Rights Reserved.
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to the artical

Naples Daily News

note: URL changed to hypertext
GST
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: POW Wayne Smith speaks about Kerry,"He sold us out& Reply with quote

This part is interesting:
Quote:
I have not spoken to him about it but I cannot fathom why John McCain, who was on my adjoining wall early in my stay, is protecting Mr. Kerry. McCain was forced to read over the "box" but he actually provided some comic relief by putting the accent on the wrong sy-LAB-ble. I do know that he testified upon his return how damning and demoralizing the material from American anti-war activists were to us.

Does anyone know where McCain's testimony can be found?
bhlewis
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.namvets.com/Reading/john_mccain_is_no_war_hero.htm

Quote:
The records demonstrate, according to the Dispatch article that McCain continued to collaborate with the Communists after he recovered from his injuries. He did a number of propaganda broadcasts that were aimed at destroying the moral of American servicemen fighting in the jungles of South Vietnam, On June 4, 1969, a U.S. Wire Service story reported one of McCain's broadcasts.

The service reported "Hanoi has aired a broadcast in which the pilot son of the U.S. Commander in the Pacific, Adm. John McCain purportedly admits to having bombed civilian targets in North Vietnam and praised medical treatment he has received since being taken prisoner."

Quote:
Perhaps these are some of the reasons why John McCain hip been so instrumental in discounting any suggestion that live prisoners of war still languish in Southeast Asia. It certainly does explain to me why he traveled to Hanoi in May of 1993 with soon-to-be Ambassador to Vietnam Pete Peterson, and convinced the Communist leadership to agree that they would NEVER MAKE PUBLIC THEIR INTERROGATION FILES OF AMERICAN POWs.

I don't know if any of this is true, but It seems that McCain might be trying to cover up his own cooperation with the North Vietnamese.[/quote]
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That new penney is a bit tarnished.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Kerry - VVAW Leadership & "Wintersoldier" All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: