SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Reporting for duty" on whose side?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: "Reporting for duty" on whose side? Reply with quote

It was a shock to me how deeply this whole matter has provoked me. After seven years of intensive therapy for PTSD starting about 1998, revisiting all of the horrors of Vietnam and "reprocessing" them (all of them perpetrated by the enemy, by the way, on us and on the Vietnamese civilian population - I was a medic and never fired my weapon) - it was a shock to discover this year that I had not really "recovered" emotionally. Why? Because one of the worst traumas of the entire experience did not happen in Vietnam - and I never knew that until Kerry's candidacy reawakened it all. My worst war experience happened here, at home - after my war. And it was ongoing. The ringmaster was John Kerry. And now he is back. It is like an Orwellian nightmare - this monstrosity from my worst imaginings is now to sit in the Oval Office? To smirk and knead his moist palms while contemplating his final victory over the challenges to ambition posed by reality?

A veteran of combat cannot survive intact emotionally unless the larger society validates his sacrifice and his actions. That is why we have medals and parades and veterans organizations and the VA. This is a very sophisticated idea, and the enemies of this country understood it very well. This was their method of attack, and John Kerry was their weapon. In a sense, Vietnam Vets were also used as unwitting weapons against the country they had defended with their lives; by discrediting them, Kerry discredited the foundation of the country's self-image and security. This was the most perverse and demonic twist of all. We who had sacrificed so much for our country were portrayed as examples of the country's evil essence. And there was no other weapon that could discredit us entirely besides another authentic, heroic veteran - because no matter who attacked us, we'd always have each other - unless a Kerry could be found to deprive us of even the harbor of comradeship. And Kerry stepped up: "Reporting for duty!" The crap about protesting the policy but not the soldiers, the crap that ex-Congressman McCloskey repeated on TV last night, is just that. Crap. The warriors are the war. You cannot tell a soldier in Vietnam (or in Iraq) that he's doing good for his country, but that his country is evil, his war is evil, his actions are evil. This is what they did to us. Is it any wonder morale in the ranks went to hell late in the war? Is it any wonder PTSD afflicts so many Vietnam Veterans?

What Kerry validated was this lie about all of us, this false generalization, a transparent logical fallacy that so many are quick to venerate - which otherwise would have never had any credibility under any standards of law or journalism. What in God's name do you call someone whose credibility is enshrined in the validation of a lie?

Beware. They will do the same thing to the troops in Iraq. It has already clearly started. And be sure of this. Kerry will not side with the troops or the war. He will lay us open to the same kind of policies that Carter and Clinton used to make us vulnerable, or even helpless, before our enemies. Remember McGovern's admission in the mid-90s about Vietnam: [i]"We didn't want America to win the war."

Last edited by d19thdoc on Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:13 am; edited 2 times in total
USMC-Pride
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Doc!
sparky 36
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with every thing you have said and said very well, but I have one question, When was it legal for a medic to carry a weapon?
waltjones
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Illegal to carry a weapon??? Reply with quote

sparky 36 said:

I agree with every thing you have said and said very well, but I have one question, When was it legal for a medic to carry a weapon?

sparky boy, you sure you're a vet? What would ever make you think a weapon for him was illegal? I'll guess the Army medic carried a sidearm, but I'm sure he could get a rifle if he wanted. Whatever, it sure as hell wouldn't be illegal! Maybe I'm misunderstanding your real meaning here ... if so, sorry! I too agree with what doc said; I've lived some of it myself.

Semper Fi!
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky 36 wrote:
Quote:

Since your question is off topic, I was going to reply by PM, but since Walt has already posted a reply on my behalf, here is my take on it.

News to me. I can only think of one or two COs in my class at the MTC at Fort Sam. One of my classmates won the MOH with the 1st Cav with a citation that tells of him "picking up a dropped weapon" with which he did some major preventitive medicine on the enemy (Chuck Hagemeister). But I don't recall him being a CO - may be, like Alvin York in WWI?

I went out on minesweep on QL-1 in southern Quang Ngai Province every morning in a gun jeep mounted with an M-60, and carrying one or two LAWs, and about 1,000 rounds of ammo for the 60. The driver carried an M-79 and the OIC in the shotgun seat had an M-14 and a .45. I carried my own M-14, a .45, a S&W .38 in a shoulder holster, and a knife (not for surgical purposes) in my boot. We all also had an array of frag grenades and smoke grenades in our webbing. I had a taped-together double magazine for my 14 and four extra magazines in pouches, plus shells for the .45 and the .38. I think of myself as Lee Marvin in the bath scene in "Cat Ballou" getting rigged up in the mornings. We were second-class citizens as combat engineers so we did not get the M-16 even up to the time I left in early '68. The grunts on the road with the new 16's used to try to trade with us for the old reliable 14's.

I sold the .38 to the Jeep driver when I left Nam. When I called him on the phone for the very first time in thirty years about '98 and all he said was "hello" I recognized his voice. It gave me a shiver.

We lost 107 guys in Nam, the majority in the two years on that piece of road where I spent my last seven months in-country. I don't know how many wounded - no one kept track.
http://home.earthlink.net/~engr19/memoriam.html

As I said, I never got to fire a shot at the enemy. I used to get kidded I'd never know what to shoot first anyway.

Don't tell me I really am a war criminal?

Last edited by d19thdoc on Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
greenjeans
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Side are issue! Reply with quote

RP2 reporting in:

From what I know the only person that is not to carry a weapon is the Chaplain. Being a RP Religious Programer Chaplains Yeoman in lay terms. One of my responsibilities was protecting the man of the cloth. Everyone else was allowed to fire!!

NOTE: READ THE IMPERIALISM ARTICLES I HAVE SUBMITTED

They explain how these lost souls (forgive me God) came to believe the carp Lies!!!!
NAS Corpus Christi, TX.
militarybrat
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: reporting for duty Reply with quote

I thought I would vomit my guts out when I heard Kerry say the words "reporting for duty" I was at Clark Field hospital working on the wounded from 1966-Jan 1968...The war was horrible and the wounds both physical and mental have never healed for some but buried deep inside of some of us..Things we saw and things that were done buried but to have him stand up in front of the American people and with a smirk on his face say those words and wound all of us again by opening up the abcess....I was ill and could have gotten violent if I was in his presence...

And now he continues on a daily basis to try and destroy others...I and others remember the flag burnings, being called baby killers, stupid and people acting as if the Vets were not human and it goes on and on......He is still the coward by not standing up when he is faced with the truth and he doesn't have the guts to face the vets head on ..he sends his emisaries out to get pity for him as if that makes everything okay and truthful..( I am talking abt sending the letter to Texas to force public opinion to make Bush look bad "refusing to talk to a poor crippled vet">>>>TRYING TO SHUT EVERYONE ELSE UP>>>FREEDOM OF SPEECH???IS THAT JUST FOR KERRY???????????)

I am also concerned abt the Iraqi Vets I hope America doesn't turn their backs on the them ...The way they did to those that returned from Vietnam and those whose names are engraved on the wall....
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every medic of every rank I ever saw or served with was issued a small arm for self defense.
animal
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think medics had the option.... we had a contientious objector as a medic... he didnt carry a weapon (peacetime). We all joked about not protecting him in case of SHTF.

Animal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dane
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, anybody that goes into a potential combat zone without a weapon is a fool. The enemy targeted the corpsmen, as well as the radiomen and the officers. They were the first targets. (If I remember correctly, a 2LT had a life expectancy of about three weeks?) Perhaps, there were some HMs that did not carry weps with the USMC units for fear of being dragged down in their efforts to get to the wounded. But ask the HMs in the Swifts and UDT/SEAL units if they refused to carry weapons. Ask the medics in the SF units. None of these guys walked around with red crosses on their helmets!

Dane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: