SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEWS: Navy Challenging Kerry's Medals
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DenisC
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: NEWS: Navy Challenging Kerry's Medals Reply with quote

Thursday, Sept. 2, 2004 12:08 a.m. EDT

Navy Challenging Kerry's Medals

The United States Navy is challenging the authenticity of Sen. John Kerry's Vietnam War medals, in a development that could prove to be the most damaging yet to the embattled Democrat's presidential campaign.

A Navy spokesman is calling Kerry's Silver Star citation with Combat V "incorrect" as it appears on his campaign web site, explaining in an interview with Chicago Sun-Times reporter Thomas Lipscomb that the Navy has never issued a Combat V at any time for the Silver Star.

Story Continues Below

The Navy is also questioning the listing on Kerry’s web site for four bronze campaign stars for his service in Vietnam. The official naval record credits Kerry with just two Vietnam campaigns.

"That is sufficient for the wearing of the Vietnam Service Medal for one campaign bearing one campaign star for the additional campaign — not four," reports Lipscomb in today's New York Sun.

Kerry's campaign has repeatedly cited the Navy as the ultimate authority on the candidate's war record, saying they wouldn't have awarded him medals he didn't deserve.

But with the Navy now publicly challenging Kerry's decorations, that defense has been rendered inoperative.

Noting that Kerry has refused to authorize the release of his full military records, the legal watchdog group Judicial Watch called on Kerry this week to remove any questionable citations from his Web site pending a formal investigation by the Navy.

"It is to your best interest to have your record in good order," General Thomas Wilkerson, the president of the U.S. Naval Institute, told Lipscomb. "If it is wrong, you are accountable. And if you use it to advance your career, it is even more important.”
-----------end----------

Attn: Swiftvets, HAND SALUTE from this old Paratrooper.
RivanG
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a link for this story?
buffman
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/9/2/120951.shtml
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newsmax is BS ,i never trust their garbage,
DenisC
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Z Ombie AC2000 wrote:
newsmax is BS ,i never trust their garbage,

Please explain Chuck.
Bostonian
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article is by Thomas Lipscomb, whose pieces have also appeared in the Chicago Sun-Times and other places.

This is just the start of this story.
Sisku Hanne
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means Newsmax is the rightwing counterpart of the NYTimes, LA Times, Boston Globe, NBC, ABC, CNN, Newsday, etc. Wink

They definitely spin hard to the right, but they can be considered reliable if there is a corroberating backup. In this case there is, from the reporter who broke this story at the Chicago Trib, IIRC.
arjr111
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent it over to Drudge. Hopefully, he will check the veracity and if true, run the story.
AF366TFW
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now I'll take it with a grain of salt. If this is true it is HUGE!
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newsmax makes way overbown and exaggerated statements. If this story is confirmed by the other news media ill believe it. Even though they are slanted liberals to heck they do report events that happen in reality.
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the link to this discussion:

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7235

I have debunked the "Offical Navy Investigation" part of the story.
Sorry to disappoint. On the other hand,these are good guys to have on the Swiftie's side.
directorblue
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Another link Reply with quote

http://washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20040828-103521-2612r.htm

Quote:
Mr. and Mrs. Holzer bring up another interesting point. Over at JohnKerry.com, the Navy citation for Mr. Kerry's Silver Star does not mention the combat "V". It appears, then, that the Navy didn't mistakingly grant a "V" with Mr. Kerry's Silver Star. So, how did it get into Mr. Kerry's DD 214?
This is more serious than one would think. In Title 19, U.S. Code, Section 1001, the law states: "Whoever, in any manner within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the United States, knowingly and willfully ... makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years or both." As Mr. Lipscomb reports, a complaint filed by Mr. Burkett actually led to the sentencing of Navy Capt. Roger D. Edwards to 115 days in the brig for falsification of his records.
Mr. Kerry has yet another inconsistency to account for, and this one is by no means a question of foggy memories.

Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer2 wrote:

Sorry to disappoint. On the other hand,these are good guys to have on the Swiftie's side.

Actually you didn't totally debunk it. They seem to differentiate in the article between the navy investigating and the quote at the end. I do agree it needs to be taken with a grain of salt though. I did read something yesterday (I need to try and find the link again) where when the navy was asked about investigating Kerry's records they wouldn't comment.
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathanyl wrote:
Hammer2 wrote:

Actually you didn't totally debunk it. They seem to differentiate in the article between the navy investigating and the quote at the end. I do agree it needs to be taken with a grain of salt though. I did read something yesterday (I need to try and find the link again) where when the navy was asked about investigating Kerry's records they wouldn't comment.

Actually, I did say that. Go back and read my posts. I said "if the general and the USNI are the source for the interview, than it is not official USN."
Sonar5
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Here is what Kerry said on Boorda..... Reply with quote

Here is what Kerry said on Admiral Boorda CNO who commited suicide...

This would be a Great Swift Boat Ad, that I would love to see. Kerry words on Boorda's medals, and then Kery's actual record of lies, and medals not deserved....

Please do it...

Regards,
Joe

From numerous boards:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1201190/posts
http://www.asmainegoes.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=025503

Quote:
The current dispute over Kerry’s medals is a good time to recall the tragic suicide of the Navy's Admiral Mike Boorda in 1996.

Kate O’Beirne summarized it well:

“In 1996, a left-wing news service raised questions about two small "V" clips that the chief of Naval operations wore over two of the medals on his chest full of them. The clips are awarded for valor under fire, and there was some doubt about whether Boorda's two tours in Vietnam aboard combat ships qualified him for the awards, although the Washington Post reported that a 1965 Navy manual appeared to support Boorda's right to wear the clips. Unlike Kerry, the awards did not provide grounds for Boorda to shorten his tours of duty. Hours before he was scheduled to meet with Newsweek reporters to discuss the controversy, the admiral went to his home at the Navy Yard and shot himself in the chest. The CNO had been in command of the Navy during a troubled period and his leadership was being criticized by its senior officers. Still, among the notes he left was one to "the sailors" expressing his fear that the controversy over his decorations might harm the Navy. Boorda had lied about his age to join the Navy and was the first CNO to rise through the enlisted ranks.”

What did John Kerry have to say at the time about the matter? Let us consult the Boston Herald of May 18, 1996:

Veterans said yesterday that although they would take offense at someone falsely wearing a "V" combat pin, they couldn't see how this could drive Navy Adm. Jeremy Michael Boorda to suicide.

“Is it wrong? Yes, it is very wrong. Sufficient to question his leadership position? The answer is yes, which he clearly understood,” said Sen. John Kerry, a Navy combat veteran who served in Vietnam.

Citing uncertainty of whether Boorda deliberately wore the pins improperly, Kerry added: “If he made a mistake, in my judgment it wasn't worth his life, so I'm very sad about it.” And let us consult the Boston Globe for the same day:

“The military is a rigorous culture that places a high premium on battlefield accomplishment,” said Sen. John F. Kerry, who received numerous decorations, including a Bronze Star with a "V" pin, as a Navy lieutenant in Vietnam.

“In a sense, there's nothing that says more about your career than when you fought, where you fought and how you fought,” Kerry said.

“If you wind up being less than what you’re pretending to be, there is a major confrontation with value and self-esteem and your sense of how others view you.”

Of Boorda and his apparent violation, Kerry said: “When you are the chief of them all, it has to weigh even more heavily.” Kerry‘s records refer to a "Silver Star with combat V." The Chicago Sun-Times has reported a U.S. Navy spokesman said, "Kerry's record is incorrect. The Navy has never issued a 'combat V' to anyone for a Silver Star." Naval regulations do not allow for the use of a "combat V" for the Silver Star, the third-highest decoration the Navy awards. None of the other services has ever granted a Silver Star "combat V," either.

If John Kerry has been touting a “V” that the Navy says he does not deserve, these quotes are going to be flung back in his face.

Great job, SBVFT.... Keep up the heat folks, we still have two more months to go...

Never retreat....
Never think we've won.....
Never give in to the enemy.....
Never stop spreading the news....
Never stop telling your friends family, neighbors about this site.....
Never stop calling talk shows, radio shows, writing letters to the editors...

Always stay involved, You Will Make A Difference....

Never prouder of you all....

My Home at AboutPolitics.net:
http://www.aboutpolitics.net/phpBB2/index.php

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: