SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry has pictures of Burning Village...shown on Cavett 1970

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Kerry has pictures of Burning Village...shown on Cavett 1970 Reply with quote

Remember these pictures are in the time he was contending that Veterans has committed War crimes....nobody can say the burning of villages in his pictures was not intended to be proof of his claim of war crimes.

Kerry view of Vietnam changed since 70's
1970 appearance on Cavett show at odds with recent comments
By Lisa Myers and the NBC Investigative Unit

Updated: 5:37 p.m. ET May 7, 2004

More than three decades ago, a young Vietnam veteran named John Kerry made one of his first national television appearances, and he brought along home movies he took of one of his firefights with the enemy in Vietnam. Kerry’s television appearance has been in mothballs for decades — until now.

In tape of that appearance, obtained by NBC News, Kerry makes statements which appear to be at odds with more recent comments about why he went to Vietnam.

It was Kerry’s first national television appearance and came near the peak of the anti-war movement, days after Richard Nixon announced the invasion of Cambodia and college campuses erupted.

Kerry was asked why, if he opposed the war, he agreed to go to Vietnam and fight. He emphasized his reluctance, saying, “I wound up going to Vietnam because in 1965, voicing an objection, as I would have liked to have at that point, would have been, I think, a very futile thing.”

But in 2001, gearing up to run for president, Kerry had a different explanation on NBC’s Meet the Press, where he said, “I believe very deeply that it was a noble effort to begin with. I signed up. I volunteered I wanted to go over there and I wanted to win.”

“I think there’s a difference between those two quotes,” said historian and Kerry biographer Douglas Brinkley, explaining, “It’s not my understanding that John Kerry ever thought Vietnam was per se a noble effort.”

-----------------------------
“I believe very deeply that it was a noble effort to begin with.”

— John Kerry in 2001 on Meet the Press

Kerry, on the Cavett set, in 1970, in discussing what he was fighting for, said, “I just could never feel that I was there fighting to save that country, to make it safe for democracy. The only feeling you could have was that you were like the Germans, that you were there occupying another country.”

But in 2001, as he was beginning his efforts to run for president, Kerry told Meet the Press, “It was a noble effort to try to make a country democratic, to try to carry our principles and values to another part of the world.”

Asked to explain Kerry’s seemingly different statements, a campaign spokesman said, “Kerry went to Vietnam because he felt a duty to his country. He served with honor and distinction.”

“The only feeling you could have was that you were like the Germans, that you were there occupying another country.”

— John Kerry in 1970 on The DIck Cavett Show

On the Cavett show, Kerry also showed films he shot in Vietnam, explaining the video , saying, “You see a bunker being taken under fire. In fact, we’re under fire at this point and you can see some shots coming out, landing in the water.” He added, “Just after this I put the camera down. I had a feeling we were gonna be ambushed… and sure enough up ahead we were. And you’ll see it.”

Brinkley says Kerry compiled material to bolster his case against the war, telling Cavett, “I took these pictures in a moment of confusion,” explaining, “There you see the huts burning, and this, this is the enemy, so to speak, in South Vietnam.”

Kerry told Cavett, “I was constantly struck by the juxtaposition of those of us running around with guns and the body lying there in the field. There you see the huts burning.”

Why the change in his comments? Critics say that in 1970, sharp criticism of the war was fashionable, while decades later, a presidential candidate would need to bolster credentials to be commander in chief.

A recent NBC News poll found that even 71% of Republicans agree that Kerry served honorably. It also found that voters say what they like least about Kerry is him “straddling both sides of issues.”

Lisa Myers is NBC News’ Senior Investigative Correspondent
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4926018/print/1/displaymode/1098/
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this story is far more significant than being given credit....if you make reasonable assumptions....Kerry burned down huts in order to create pictures for his admitted opposition to the War prior to going to Vietnam.

That is making assumptions...admittedly.

The big question is will this video of the Cavett show be withheld. And will Douglas Brinkley be interview by any Media to what he has seen. He says he has seen the pictures.
Ellis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the most significant part of that interview was this disgusting remark comparing the US troops to occupying Nazis:

“The only feeling you could have was that you were like the Germans, that you were there occupying another country.”
— John Kerry in 1970 on The DIck Cavett Show

Even this, and all the rest, would not matter as much if Kerry had apologized for it a long time ago. The fact that he didn't, and doesn't, tells me everything I need to know about his fitness to lead our nation.
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the Cavett show, Kerry also showed films he shot in Vietnam, explaining the video , saying, “You see a bunker being taken under fire. In fact, we’re under fire at this point and you can see some shots coming out, landing in the water.” He added, “Just after this I put the camera down. I had a feeling we were gonna be ambushed… and sure enough up ahead we were. And you’ll see it.”

Brinkley says Kerry compiled material to bolster his case against the war, telling Cavett, “I took these pictures in a moment of confusion,” explaining, “There you see the huts burning, and this, this is the enemy, so to speak, in South Vietnam.”

Given Kerry's penchant for "reenactments," how can we believe that any of this is genuine? And if you are under fire, are you sticking your head up to take pictures?
The Balloon Artist
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

OK I'm not a military man, so I don't know, but if you're already taking fire and your CO is taking home movies, what would compel you to think your going to be ambushed when you're already taking fire? "OK here they are shooting at us and I think they are going to sneak up on us at the nest bend while I'm changing film."

Some one please explain this to me.
cjg
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no if you are Kerry, you put down your gun and grab your camera
because it is more important to get a good "photo op" while at war than
helping his brothers fight the enemy! Get your head on straight here,
check you priorities, what is more important.! Well, his own skin is the
only thing important to Kerry. Evil or Very Mad

I
greenvale
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this article back in May? Is it being used currently? I can't find it on the site..It's a very good article. Would love to see it on the news tonight.
tomorrow..next week..
God Bless America,
Greenvale
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa Myers gets it.
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjg wrote:
No, no if you are Kerry, you put down your gun and grab your camera
because it is more important to get a good "photo op" while at war than
helping his brothers fight the enemy! Get your head on straight here,
check you priorities, what is more important.! Well, his own skin is the
only thing important to Kerry. Evil or Very Mad

I

And unfotunatly for us this must have been the VC equivelent of Monty Pythons band of crosseyed webfooted loonies Shocked
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenvale wrote:
Was this article back in May? Is it being used currently? I can't find it on the site..It's a very good article. Would love to see it on the news tonight.

Yes its an old article... prior to when the Press core jumped into defend Kerry mode....the questions it raises are significant...on multiple levels...this also is the tape that Hannity says he wants to get the approval to show on TV. He said he expects to get it.

Here is another link...the above is cleaner print version...this is just the website one http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4926018/
vickie
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: His own words... Reply with quote

Article from 2/18/79 Interview in Harvard College Paper

Published on Wednesday, February 18, 1970
Quote:
John Kerry: A Navy Dove Runs for Congress

By SAMUEL Z. GOLDHABER
Crimson Staff Writer

At Yale, Kerry was chairman of the Political Union and later, as Commencement speaker, urged the United States to withdraw from Vietnam and to scale down foreign military operations. And this was way back in 1966.
When he approached his draft board for permission to study for a year in Paris, the draft board refused and Kerry decided to enlist in the Navy. The Navy assigned him to the USS Gridley which between December 1966 and July 1968 saw four months of action off the Vietnam coast. In August through November, 1968, Kerry was trained to be the skipper of a patrol boat for Vietnamese rivers. For the next five months, until April of 1969, Kerry was the commanding Lieutenant of a patrol boat in the Mekong Delta. He was wounded slightly on three different occasions and received a Silver Star for bravery. His patrol boat took part in Operation Sealords, mostly scouting out Viet Cong villages and transporting South Vietnamese marines to various destinations up and down narrow rivers covered with heavy foliage on either side. One time Kerry was ordered to destroy a Viet Cong village but disobeyed orders and suggested that the Navy Command simply send in a Psychological Warfare team to be friend the villagers with food, hospital supplies, and better educational facilities

Note: As for sending in a psychological warfare team - is giving the villagers "food, hospital supplies, and better educational facilities" what they do? According Kerry I thought the were the ones who hooked up private parts to hand cranked generators. Maybe he should have called the Red Cross.

Quote:
But in 2001, gearing up to run for president, Kerry had a different explanation on NBC’s Meet the Press, where he said, “I believe very deeply that it was a noble effort to begin with. I signed up. I volunteered I wanted to go over there and I wanted to win.”

SooZQ
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't gone to the "Stolen Honor" site you need to:

www.stolenhonor.com

These POWs left no doubt as to the impact of Kerry's
traitorous actions.

Really support the troops, send them a letter and care package! Visit:http://www.anysoldier.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: