SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nasty Editorial about Swiftvets in today's Rocky Mountain Ne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RMalloy
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Nasty Editorial about Swiftvets in today's Rocky Mountain Ne Reply with quote

Don't read Michael Tracey's editorial, Missing Element, Rational Discourse
in today's Rocky Mountain News unless you want to get really pissed.
This guy teaches at Boulder, he doesn't speak for all Coloradans.
Have sent e-mail to paper, letters@rockymountainnews.com
please feel free to do so yourself if so inclined.

Here is a quote, this isn't the worst, either.

Quote:
And what then is the "traditional" media to do - not investigate, not question and simply genuflect before assertions, and possibly lies, of a group of Republican-funded bitter, aging men?

www.rockymountainnews.com
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the actual article:

Rocky Mountain News

I read it and don't get the same negative feeling that you do. It's not POSITIVE, but it's not a smear. It also mentions Kopel's earlier article.

note: URL changed to hypertext
Dragoro
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That newspaper is just bitter cause the Avs got knocked out of the play offs in the 2nd round when they were supposed to win the cup in a cake walk.

Dragoro's Realm Forums
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...bitter, aging men?

Now THAT'S journalism Rolling Eyes
RMalloy
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think it was highly negative, referring to the Swiftvets as Republican
backed bitter men while pushing the rhetoric of war atrocities, this guy
is a media expert, he defends the media's "investigations" of Swiftvet claims. I have found a total lack of any journalistic investigation of the Swiftvet claims by the big news sources, even Fox has skirted around the issue. The main news about the Swiftvets is not what they seek to have John Kerry answer, it is not the substance of their assertions, only the impact upon Kerry. The main news has not given any credence to the Swiftvets other than how much their "allegations" are making him sweat."

In the end will the public believe the Swiftvets were just another ploy
from one political party to bring down the other opponent. Since the
media is playing only this aspect will they miss the other issue, that
some very honorable men want the truth to be told about John Kerry.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, he's pretty mild compared to some of the mouths that are roaring in the media.

It's also pretty obvious that he hasn't done any research just like the rest of his cohorts. He just automatically falls back on MyLai and Tiger Farce and tries to make that cover several million Viet vets.

But still I appreciate the link. It confirms my feelings about how widespread the hysteria is in the media.
Billman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This made me mad, but Kopel's excellent article made me glad. It's one of the pithiest summaries of the current state of the controversy, closing with:
Quote:
The Swift Vets have been proven right on some incidents, and cannot prove their case on others. The avalanche of traditional media articles denouncing the Swift Vets as a pure smear is itself a smear, as the traditional media flails in rage at the loss of its ability to control public discourse.

Bingo. Even what's unproven can be proven, of course, if Kerry signs Standard Form 180. Which is precisely why he won't.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it and emailed the following to the author;

Quote:
Mr Tracey,

I just read with interest, your article condemning the SBVT. Allow me to also state that I am one of the disgruntled aging men who served in Vietnam and also was awarded a medal or two, although in the U.S. Army.

My discontent with John Kerry goes well beyond he came back and "exposed some atrocities." During my 18 months actually in country, I never saw one incident as he described. Yes, there were wild tales, just as there were wild tales about a small island where soldiers who contracted some incurable venereal disease were sent to live out their lives. Wild tales are hardly truth.

Mr. Kerry also traveled to Paris and met with delegates from the North Vietnamese government with absolutely no sanctions by the U.S. Government. A clear violation of the UCMJ, as he was still a Naval Reserve Officer. It has also been shown that many of the "veterans" he used to relay their stories to Congress were neither veterans or never served in Vietnam at all. Are you also aware that General Vo Ngyuen Giap, the Commanding General of the North Vietnamese Army and Colonel Bui Tin, formerly of the North Vietnamese Army, have both stated that the American anti-war movement were essential to their victory in Vietnam? And of course, the deaths of some 3.5 million Vietnamese and Cambodians after the fall of Saigon in 1975 leaves no spot on mankind, does it?

You quote the Toledo Blade, hardly an objective source, for exposing atrocities. Yet, even with their "exposition," it still doesn't amount to the atrocity of the city of Hue in 1968, by the Communist North Vietnamese. Nor does their claim show any proof of Mr. Kerry's main claim of these matters happened on a day to day basis with the full knowledge of higher command. Had any in my unit, C Troop 7/17th Air Cav, committed such acts, we would have been swiftly charged with crimes and dealt with accordingly.

You also claim in your article that SBVT is highly funded by the Republican party. Balderdash! Does one Republican donating some $150,000 mean they are highly funded by the Republicans, yet records of donations amounting to several millions of dollars from prominent Democrats to organizations as Moveon.org prove nothing? Allow me to also state that I am one of those Republicans, having left the Democratic party a few years ago, who is financially supporting the SBVT. Along with a few thousand other supporters and veterans, I send in my $25. That, sir, is the source of the Highly Funded by Republicans you claim.

As a journalist and college professor, you are entrusted in informing the public, not manipulating their thinking. I assume you have read the book Unfit for Command, by John O'Neill and Jerome Corsi, to be able to make the claims you have made against the SBVT. If not, just what do you base your opinions on?

I also looked back at other articles by you and failed to find any such outrage at the heavily funded 527 groups that have been trashing George Bush for over a year now. Do they get a pass? Are they not also contributing to "the disenchantment with politics today brews in the studios of news and talk shows, in the crossfire of politicized columns, where the political is reduced to the superficial, the trivial and the lewd, and reasoned discourse is replaced by loud, crude rant?"

Lew Waters

RMalloy
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew,
That was very eloquent, just what Mr. Tracey was opining for, his Missing
Element, Rational Discourse. Thanks!
The Balloon Artist
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bows, applauds, and salutes ^
Billman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Zulu, Lew!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: