SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Help of a Swiftie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swctexas
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Need Help of a Swiftie Reply with quote

Lately I find myself arguing the points of SBWFT than tending to my company. I'll get back to it later.

I am too young to have been in Vietnam and though my Dad was a pratrooper in the Army, he doesn't know this either.

What is the "V" controversy. What does the "V" mean and please explain it's significance. I've read almost 30 threads tonight and I see it mentioned but don't understand.

Sorry for the ignorant question...but in order to fight, I need to know what I'm talking about.

Keep it up guys. Give em hell!

SWC
vet_supporter
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a military guy but I've read that the V is for Valor and is never assigned to a Silver Star since the nature of the Silver Star is about Valor.

The Bronze Star can have a V for Valor added to it or can simply be a Bronze Star.
swctexas
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by Admin

Last edited by swctexas on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Natural Guard. Where's George Tirebiter when we need him?
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a vet either.... but it's what 'vet supporter' says. From all my reading (and I've been spending in excess of 5 hrs a day on the forum) and reading linked articles etc. The Silver Star does not come with a V... the Silver Star itself is FOR VALOR. The Bronze Star can be for other things also and so it can also include the V.... somewhere on this forum, someone explained it so plainly for us not vet people.... probably posted by Navy or Polaris....have you checked the R and R section... lot of background there and links to articles that give alot of information. I've learned a lot on the R and R section.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swctexas wrote:
So in other words, a Silver Star with a “V” would be issued by the Department of Redundancy Department?

The "V" has never been issued with a Silver Star. It just isn't done, unless your name is John Kerry.
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is commonly accepted that the "V" stands for valor, however, the military just calls it the "combat distinguishing device".

Never comes with Silver Star. A Bronze star can be issued with or without the "V" indicating whether or not the award was given for combat related actions or purely for meritorious service. It is also possible to get a Bronze Star for meritorious servic with a "V" if the service was performed under combat conditions or is combat related.

If you're not confused now, you never will be. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: