SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are the Newsweek and Time polls BS?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Are the Newsweek and Time polls BS? Reply with quote

I have been very skeptical of the Newsweek and Time polls ever since they cam out. I wonder whether the Main Stream Media isn't conspiring with the Kerry camp to create Kerry momentum. The Kerry folks are already predicting an even race by the end of the week.

Take a look at the current Rasmussen poll.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/Presidential_Tracking_Poll.htm

Shows the race is Bush 47.6 and Kerry 46.4 almost even

This is not the time to become complacent and kick back. It is more important now then ever to work very hard. Keep writing letters. Keep pressuring the media and the Kerry camp to sign the SF180. Continue to spread the story of who Kerry really is and why he is unfit.

I hate to throw water on all the high fives but I think we all still have a great deal of work to do or am I just being overly pessimistic?
deserturtle
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Nader factor Reply with quote

He doesn't include the Nader factor.
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noc,

That is the weekly number and it was done during the week of the RNC. That means the bounce is smeared to a certain degree. In fact this is true with most Rasmussen polls. Even so, the numbers I saw today showed a +2.8 Bush which is the highest in a long time. I pay more attention to the internals which look even better.

You are right that the race is still close and we can not let up. In addition, it is possible that Time/Newsweek oversampled GOP voters. However, it still does not look good for Kerry.

Truth is Beauty
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I place little stock in polls. Results are easily skewed to whatever the pollster wishes. This far out still, polls don't mean much either.

The obvious is that they report results much closer than other pollsters. Surely, they can't both be correct Laughing
Wolfgang
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also important to note that whatevcer boost Bush did get is likely in large part a temporary "bpounce" from the convention, which boost will diminish as Kerry attacks more aggressively.

I hope and pray that Bush wins, but could not agree more here that now is not the time for complaceny.

Kerry always campaigns his best when he's behind--he's a very strong closer. Or so those who have followed him over the decades say. (He beat Howard Dean and William Weld by coming back from significant deficits, e.g.).
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to talk to anyone about the election who is voting for Kerry...my poll says,, Bush 100% to Kerry 0%....
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:
noc,

That is the weekly number and it was done during the week of the RNC. That means the bounce is smeared to a certain degree. In fact this is true with most Rasmussen polls. Even so, the numbers I saw today showed a +2.8 Bush which is the highest in a long time. I pay more attention to the internals which look even better.

You are right that the race is still close and we can not let up. In addition, it is possible that Time/Newsweek oversampled GOP voters. However, it still does not look good for Kerry.

While I agree you, two/thirds of the interviews were conducted after the RNC and the President's speech on Thursday. It is not all that bad just not nearly as good as the 11 point margin that the Time/Newsweek polls would suggest.
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most polls are BS and that includes the ones that say the race is so close. The choices are,, The guy you know nothing about except that hes a conceited selfish sold elitist who out our troops to the enemy or the presdient who is good hearted god fearing guy who will fight to keep america safe and has a proven track record of doing it. That makes it a very simple choice and Kerry will be on his way back home desperately trying to figure out how his veitnam strategy failed him.
Lily
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was obvious Bush would get a bounce after his convention. Momentum had been moving toward Bush in Aug and through the convention, a convention that proved effective and convincing as more people tuned in to the GOP convention then the Dem convention. I thought Bush would be up about 5 points after the convention it's the 11 points that's surprising and what has the Kerry campaign shook up.As was pointed out on FOX, this late in the race challengers don't come back from this kind of deficit against an incumbent President.
debinNC
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 11 point spread was deliberated inflated (by overpolling Republicans) so that when the race inevitably tightens the MSM can replay the Comeback Kid script from 1992.
Lily
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

debinNC wrote:
I think the 11 point spread was deliberated inflated (by overpolling Republicans) so that when the race inevitably tightens the MSM can replay the Comeback Kid script from 1992.

I remember someone posting on this forum that the LA Times poll had deliberately inflated Bush's numbers prior to the convention so he would not get a post convention bounce. Yet somehow Bush attained a double digit lead in two polls so much for the power of the MSM.
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lily wrote:
debinNC wrote:

I remember someone posting on this forum that the LA Times poll had deliberately inflated Bush's numbers prior to the convention so he would not get a post convention bounce. Yet somehow Bush attained a double digit lead in two polls so much for the power of the MSM.

This is true. But, what if the real lead right now is around 6 points and by the end of the week the numbers are Bush 49 Kerry 43. All the MSM will start to run the Kerry comeback stories and ask what happened to the Bush campaign.
Dragoro
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no way those two liberal rags would give that much of a bump to Bush after the RNC. They want Kerry to win, all thier articles show thier bias. Inflating Bush's numbers after the RNC would only benifit Bush by demoralizing the liberals and the Kerry campaign. Of all the polls done predicting the outcome of the 2000 election, the rassmussan poll was the most errored.

Dragoro's Realm Forums
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noc,

That depends on what other pollsters have to say. For instance, I am waiting on the Network Polls and most especially on Gallup.

If Gallup shows no movement, then this approach is dead in the water.

Truth is Beauty
Dragoro
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINAL PUBLIC OPINION POLLS: AMERICAN ELECTION 2000
Bush Gore Nader Buchanan * Lead Ave
Media (Pollster) 100% 47.6% 47.8% 3.6% 1.0% -0.2% Error
CBS 100% 47% 48% 4% 1% -1% 0.30
Fox (Opinion Dynamics) 100% 48% 48% 3% 1% 0% 0.30
Harris 100% 47% 47% 5% 1% 0% 0.65
CNN/USA Today (Gallup) 99% 48% 46% 4% 1% 2% 0.65
Reuters/MSNBC (Zogby) 100% 46% 48% 5% 1% -2% 0.80
Pew 100% 49% 47% 4% 0% 2% 0.90
IBD/CSM/TIPP 100% 48% 46% 4% 2% 2% 0.90
ABC 99% 49% 46% 3% 1% 3% 0.90
Washington Post 99% 49% 46% 3% 1% 3% 0.95
NBC/WSJ (Hart/Teeter) 100% 49% 46% 3% 2% 3% 1.20
Newsweek 100% 49% 46% 5% 0% 3% 1.40
Voter.com (Lake/Goeas) 100% 51% 46% 4% 0% 5% 1.65
Marist College 100% 51% 46% 2% 1% 5% 1.70
Hotline 99% 51% 43% 4% 1% 8% 2.15
Rasmussen 100% 52% 43% 4% 1% 9% 2.40
ICR 99% 46% 44% 7% 2% 2% 2.45
Sources: AEI, PollingReport.com, WP,NYT,Gallup,TIPP

http://members.cox.net/fweil/FinalPolls2000.html

Dragoro's Realm Forums
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: