SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't Ya Just Love the Effete Media?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Don't Ya Just Love the Effete Media? Reply with quote

From today's WSJ:

Quote:
Iraqi Gratitude
The new government is thanking America and Bush. Why are the media silent?

Tuesday, June 8, 2004 12:01 a.m. EDT

A myth has developed that Iraqis aren't grateful for their liberation from Saddam. So it's worth noting that the leaders of Iraq's new interim government have been explicit and gracious in their thanks, not that you've heard this from the U.S. media.

First in Arabic and then in English, Prime Minister Iyad Allawi said in his inaugural address to the Iraqi people last Tuesday that "I would like to record our profound gratitude and appreciation to the U.S.-led international coalition, which has made great sacrifices for the liberation of Iraq." In his own remarks, President Ghazi al-Yawer said: "Before I end my speech, I would like us to remember our martyrs who fell in defense of freedom and honor, as well as our friends who fell in the battle for the liberation of Iraq."

Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari told the U.N. Security Council much the same thing last Thursday: "We Iraqis are grateful to the coalition who helped liberate us from the persecution of Saddam Hussein's regime. We thank President Bush and Prime Minister Blair for their dedication and commitment."

hist/student
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retracted

Last edited by hist/student on Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
ASPB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hist/student wrote:
I watched that speech seven days ago.

It took six days to get into the WSJ.

I don't think this will make the mainstreem press for about ten years when we're watching a retrospective documentary about all this. By that time the press will be pretending they were always forthright and objective in the war reporting.

Actually it was in the "Best of the Web" emailing! I don't even think it made the print version which I read daily. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by ASPB on Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is that Fox News Channel mentioned those words of thanks explicitly when they reported on the Inagural Address.

As for the broadcasts that neglected to mention it...

Rolling Eyes
ASPB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Jennings Delivers Liberal Cliches on Reagan and Taxes and Blacks
ABC’s Peter Jennings just can’t let a moment pass without pointing out how Ronald Reagan was not popular with African-Americans. On Thursday’s Good Morning America, Jennings delivered liberal cliches as he asserted that at the end of Reagan’s presidency “a great many people thought he'd made the wealthy wealthier and had not improved life particularly for the middle class, and there were just occasional intrusions yesterday of the divisiveness which was evident during his presidency, particularly in the African-American community, which felt that Ronald Reagan had not given it their due."

2. Today Trumpeted Reagan for Raising Taxes and Backing Gun Control
NBC’s Today on Thursday championed Ronald Reagan’s policies -- of raising taxes and supporting gun control. In an interview with California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, Campbell Brown pressed him to agree that Reagan, as Governor of California, “was a leader but not an ideologue. He made a lot of compromises to get things done.” She then twice reminded Schwarzenegger of how Reagan “raised taxes.” Today also featured Jim and Sarah Brady and Katie Couric insisted that “it’s important to point out” that Reagan backed gun control. Couric, who also trumpeted how Nancy Reagan backs stem cell research, yearned for success on gun control efforts: "And I know the assault weapons ban is expiring in September. What are the hopes that it will be extended?" Couric proposed: "Do you think that's one of Ronald Reagan's greatest gifts, the gift, the gift of flexibility?" Sarah Brady agreed.

3. Stem Cells Unlikely to Benefit Alzheimer’s, But Media Don’t Care
Don’t confuse us with the facts. Thursday’s Washington Post reported that despite stem cell research advocates using the death of Ronald Reagan, who suffered from Alzheimer’s, to advance their cause, “the infrequently voiced reality, stem cell experts confess, is that, of all the diseases that may someday be cured by embryonic stem cell treatments, Alzheimer's is among the least likely to benefit.” Nonetheless, journalists incessantly highlight, in the face of the Bush administration’s opposition, Nancy Reagan’s advocacy of stem cell research. MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann on Thursday night acknowledged the Post story, but nonetheless suggested that “the immediate political legacy of Ronald Wilson Reagan may not be the anticipated flag waving at Madison Square Garden replete with President Bush holding hands with Nancy Reagan at the end of August. That immediate legacy may be controversy over stem cell research.” Olbermann proposed that “ultimately is it not the President who has to give in?"

4. Under Reagan “America Had a New Household Term: 'The Homeless’"
The second paragraph of a “news” story in Thursday’s San Francisco Chronicle by “reporter” Kevin Fagan: “Before Reagan, people sleeping in the street were so rare that, outside of skid rows, they were almost a curiosity. After eight years of Reaganomics -- and the slashes in low-income housing and social welfare programs that went along with it -- they were seemingly everywhere.” The short, but to the left-wing polemical point, third paragraph: “And America had a new household term: 'The homeless.’"

5. NBC’s Mitchell Uses Rotunda Service to Take Shot at Bush
NBC’s Andrea Mitchell used the opportunity, of former Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney paying his respects at Ronald Reagan’s casket in the Capitol Rotunda, to take a shot at President Bush for losing the trust of the allies. Mitchell recalled on MSNBC how when President Reagan offered to send an aide to provide evidence to justify an air strike on Libya, Mulroney said “'You don’t have to send me an aide. Your word is good enough for me.” Mitchell drove home her point: “Speaks to very different relationship among the Allies when there was trust.”
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: