SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry's Reserve Status in '70/'71
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Kerry - VVAW Leadership & "Wintersoldier"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
houghton
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Kerry's Reserve Status in '70/'71 Reply with quote

There has been much discussion in various threads regarding Kerry’s activities during 1970 and 1971 vis-à-vis his Reserve status, including some allusions to his being culpable under UCMJ Article 104. However, I’m a little confused about his exact status because of the different terms being used in reference to reserve duty, i.e., active, inactive, ready, and standby. I’ve looked at two relevant documents -- his OCS Agreement and his DD214 -- to see if I could clarify what his status actually was in ’70/’71.

The following is a quote from the OCS Agreement under the section titled TERM OF SERVICE:

“4. The obligor agrees that, on completion of active duty, he will remain in the Ready Reserve if eligible therefore. Service in the Ready Reserve will be for a period which when added to his active duty, will total five years. Upon completion of five years of satisfactory service on active duty and in the Ready Reserve, he will be eligible for transfer to the Standby Reserve and, if he applies, he will be transferred to the Standby Reserve for any remaining portion of his service obligation.

5. The obligor understands that the provisions of law require satisfactory participation in the Ready Reserve unless relieved of such participation by competent authority or as otherwise provided by law. Such participation may be satisfied annually by not less than 48 drills and not more than 17 days active duty for training, or an alternative of 30 days active duty for training, or other appropriate Reserve training as may be authorized. Failure to carry out prescribed training may subject him to involuntary call to active duty for not more than 45 days.”

The DD214 shows that Kerry was released from active duty on 3 January 1970 and, as shown in Block 11 of page 3: RELEASED FROM ACTIVE DUTY AND TRANSFERED (SIC) TO NAVAL RESERVE. There is no mention of inactive or otherwise. Furthermore, block 22.b. of the DD214 shows a total active service of 03 years, 00 months, 18 days. I surmise, then, that the transfer was made in accordance with his OCS Agreement and he was obligated to participate in the Ready Reserve by satisfying the requirements set out in paragraph 5 of the TERM OF SERVICE within that agreement for one year and 347 days, or until on or about 13 December 1971. There is no available record that I could find which shows that he did so serve. Nor is there any available record to show that he was “relieved of such participation by competent authority or as otherwise provided by law.”

Kerry’s website does show the documentation that transferred him to the Standby Reserve in 1972. There is no documentation that accounts for his Ready Reserve obligation.

So, did John Kerry fail to fulfill the Reserve obligation required of him upon completion of his active duty? It appears so. However, it’s not getting much attention because of what I believe may be confusion in terminology related to someone’s Reserve status
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Kerry's Reserve Status in '70/'71 Reply with quote

houghton wrote:
The obligor understands that the provisions of law require satisfactory participation in the Ready Reserve unless relieved of such participation by competent authority or as otherwise provided by law. Such participation may be satisfied annually by not less than 48 drills and not more than 17 days active duty for training, or an alternative of 30 days active duty for training, or other appropriate Reserve training as may be authorized. Failure to carry out prescribed training may subject him to involuntary call to active duty for not more than 45 days.”

"... There is no available record that I could find which shows that he did so serve. Nor is there any available record to show that he was “relieved of such participation by competent authority or as otherwise provided by law.”

>>unless relieved of such participation by competent authority or as otherwise provided by law<<

By the terms of his OCS Contract he would SEEM to have been obligated to drill. The question is - was the Navy requiring such vets to drill?

We must have some Navy officer vets out there who were released from active duty about that same time (Mar '70) who can comment on the issue.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was released from active duty in November of 69 and transferred immediately to Inactive Ready Reserve with no drill requirements. Final release to Inactive Strandby Reserve was 22 months later. Only difference is I'd done 4 years, 2 months, and 10 days active.

If Houghton is right about Kerry's contract being 3 and 2 which a lot of them were I'd just add that the Navy had more Junior Officers than it knew what to do with in 1970. Early release to Inactive Ready Reserve was a common practice.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just reread candidate Kerry's Release_From_Active_Duty.pdf.

It says"... on 3 january 1970 you will regard yourself released from all active duty and transfered to inactive duty in the U.S. Naval Reserve.....

In the event that you plan travel or residence in foreign countries for a period in excess of 30 days, notice of intent will be submitted to the command having custody of your records......"

No mention of him being assigned to a drilling position in the Reserves.
Mark
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still smell something.
One who can get his citations changed years after he earned them surely could have gotten some discharge document changed (and it apparently conflicts with the 214).
ASPB..were you an OCS grad like him?
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
I still smell something.
One who can get his citations changed years after he earned them surely could have gotten some discharge document changed (and it apparently conflicts with the 214).
ASPB..were you an OCS grad like him?

No I was regular Navy enlisted. I was offered OCS and the opportunity to finish college on their nickel if I re-upped. I opted out and went back to school.
kaji
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was discharged in Jun 1970 from USNR-- active duty 2 yrs---then had to do 2 yrs of drills. Also drilled 2 yrs prior to active duty, for total of 6 yrs before discharge.
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think, that in the matter of what to do with certain people leaving active duty, the service might, for its own convienence, waive 'drilling'
type reserve duty, and put the person in a nondrilling unit.
IMO, there is nothing wrong with that, in itself.
lunr99
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is, if Kerry was suppose to complete these drills after being released from active duty. Which reserve unit was he assigned to?
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Kerry's Reserve Status in '70/'71 Reply with quote

My husband's in the Army Reserve, but I didn't know what Standby Reserve was either, so I went looking.

http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourceFileView?file=Reserve_Standby.htm

Granted, this info is not from the right time period and service, but not everything has changed over the years. It's better than nothing.

Now to go back and look at those Kerry documents...

houghton wrote:
There has been much discussion in various threads regarding Kerry’s activities during 1970 and 1971 vis-à-vis his Reserve status, including some allusions to his being culpable under UCMJ Article 104. However, I’m a little confused about his exact status because of the different terms being used in reference to reserve duty, i.e., active, inactive, ready, and standby. I’ve looked at two relevant documents -- his OCS Agreement and his DD214 -- to see if I could clarify what his status actually was in ’70/’71.

The following is a quote from the OCS Agreement under the section titled TERM OF SERVICE:

“4. The obligor agrees that, on completion of active duty, he will remain in the Ready Reserve if eligible therefore. Service in the Ready Reserve will be for a period which when added to his active duty, will total five years. Upon completion of five years of satisfactory service on active duty and in the Ready Reserve, he will be eligible for transfer to the Standby Reserve and, if he applies, he will be transferred to the Standby Reserve for any remaining portion of his service obligation.

5. The obligor understands that the provisions of law require satisfactory participation in the Ready Reserve unless relieved of such participation by competent authority or as otherwise provided by law. Such participation may be satisfied annually by not less than 48 drills and not more than 17 days active duty for training, or an alternative of 30 days active duty for training, or other appropriate Reserve training as may be authorized. Failure to carry out prescribed training may subject him to involuntary call to active duty for not more than 45 days.”

The DD214 shows that Kerry was released from active duty on 3 January 1970 and, as shown in Block 11 of page 3: RELEASED FROM ACTIVE DUTY AND TRANSFERED (SIC) TO NAVAL RESERVE. There is no mention of inactive or otherwise. Furthermore, block 22.b. of the DD214 shows a total active service of 03 years, 00 months, 18 days. I surmise, then, that the transfer was made in accordance with his OCS Agreement and he was obligated to participate in the Ready Reserve by satisfying the requirements set out in paragraph 5 of the TERM OF SERVICE within that agreement for one year and 347 days, or until on or about 13 December 1971. There is no available record that I could find which shows that he did so serve. Nor is there any available record to show that he was “relieved of such participation by competent authority or as otherwise provided by law.”

Kerry’s website does show the documentation that transferred him to the Standby Reserve in 1972. There is no documentation that accounts for his Ready Reserve obligation.

So, did John Kerry fail to fulfill the Reserve obligation required of him upon completion of his active duty? It appears so. However, it’s not getting much attention because of what I believe may be confusion in terminology related to someone’s Reserve status

It seems to me that the phrase "RELEASED FROM ACTIVE DUTY AND TRANSFERED (SIC) TO NAVAL RESERVE" is misleading because Kerry was in the Naval Reserve all along. He was just activated for training and to go to war, and then released back to inactive status.

I'd bet that earlier posters, like ASPB, are right that there was probably a glut of young officers at the time and not enough spots in drilling Ready Reserve units to hold them. He might therefore have been allowed to be in the Inactive Ready Reserve...not assigned to any unit, and not drilling. That doesn't seem outlandish by today's standards.

After his 5 year obligation was up, on 17 Feb 1972, he became eligible to apply for transfer to the Standby Reserve, and he did. The chronolgy in the back of "Unfit for Command" lists him as Transferred to Standby Reserve, "inactive", on July 1, 1972. He was then discharged from that on what looks like "FEB 18 1978" on that horrible copy of his discharge on his website.
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD214
in the remarks section
NO DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE ISSUED AT TIME OF SEPERATION
CONTINUING ON ACTIVE DUTY AS ENSIGN.

and again section 13b page2

on DD215 dated March 12, 2001
Correct seperation date to read 03/01/70

What does that mean?

SBD
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
What does that mean?

It means he was an officer.

Officers don't "enlist" for some set period like enlisted folks do.. Officers ID cards show an expiration date of "INDEF"

His 214 on release from Extended Active Duty EAD as an officer was NOT a discharge - only a statement of his active duty. He remained in the Navy Reserve until his '78 honorable discharge.

(The earlier 214 after completion of OCS WAS a discharge because candidates in OSC were in enlisted service.)

I really HATE having to explain stuff like this - I'm NOT a candidate Kerry apologist - but I don't want to see us talking about things that are not correct. Such erroneous talk only DILUTES our VALID arguments. We need to be accurate!!!!
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
DD214
in the remarks section
CONTINUING ON ACTIVE DUTY AS ENSIGN.

and again section 13b page2

on DD215 dated March 12, 2001
Correct seperation date to read 03/01/70

What does that mean?

SBD

Aha! You have found where the date is coming in!

A little background info is clearly in order here. You get a DD 214 every time you leave a period of active duty service. I know that most active duty regular Army and Navy folks probably think of that form as a discharge paper, because most would only ever have gotten one of them in their lives. That's not quite right, though. My hubby got his second DD 214 when his unit returned from Iraq this Spring, but that doesn't mean that he's discharged from the Army Reserve. He has just returned to inactive status in the Ready Reserve...drilling once a month.

So now, I look at Kerry's DD 214 and it's dated 03/01/70, and as you said, in the Remarks section it reads "13B - NO DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE ISSUED AT TIME OF SEPARATION".

Now I look at the DD 215, which is the doc used to correct a DD214, dated 20010312, and it says "SEPARATION DATE ON DD FORM 214 BEING CORRECTED: 03-01-70". Those 2 documents are in perfect agreement.

I really don't think the dates in the themselves are fishy. To me, the records seem to indicate that Kerry's name remained on Navy rolls for 6 years and a day longer than his obligation. Perhaps he chose to remain in the Standby Reserves because he thought it would look good in his future political campaigns. Perhaps there's some other reason.

It does seem odd that his DD 214 would be getting a correction as late as March 12, 2001. I don't have a solid grasp on how many campaign stars he should really have. Somewhere there should be a list with the dates that qualify, right? I can understand wanting to have the Presidential Unit Citation added though...that's a big deal.
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got up and did some chores inthe middle of my last post, only to find that air_vet had answered the question. I'm not sure I get what being an officer had to do with it...but that's OK. Smile
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my understanding of his records.

He signed up on February 18, 1966 for 6 years. On the same day he signed up for OCS.. The contract said he would have to serve 3 yrs active from the time of his commission. He was commissioned on December 16, 1966. He was obligated to serve in the ready reserve for the amount of time that when added to his active duty would add up to 5 yrs. The balance of the commitment would be served in standby reserve.

He was released from Active duty on 1-1-70 and placed in the ready reserve on 1-3-70. At that time he was given credit for having served active duty for 3 yr 10 months and 16 days. There were two entries. The first gave him credit for 3 yrs 00 months, and then there was another entry for the additional time which totalled together came to 3 yr 10 mo 16 dys.

He went into standby reserve on 7-1-72 and was discharged on 2-16-78. 12 years later? Why?

Also, it should be noted that his discharge papers shown on the website are not the discharge papers from the end of his committment. They are papers which discharged him from one type of reserve status to then go into the other status. His actual discharge from the military is not shown.
Why?
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Kerry - VVAW Leadership & "Wintersoldier" All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: