SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TANG Memo on Bush
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: TANG Memo on Bush Reply with quote

Can someone with typesetting experience look at this memo. It appears to be in a porportional spaced font which would not have been in use in the TANG in 1972. There were high-end 1st generation word processing systems around but not it the TANG, I wouldn't think.

I think it's a forgery!

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/BushGuardmay19.pdf

Also, it appears that this memo was dated 19 May 72. Bush, according to his fitness reports, was released to Alabama on 15 May 72.

Admin note:Topic edited
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I'm not sure when word processing systems became available, but you're right about it being a proportionally-spaced font. I'd expect such a memo to be typed on a typewriter back in 1972. Definitely NOT typewriter print.

Also, why is there no name on this memo? Shouldn't there be some record of who wrote the darned thing, not just who it was about?
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just proportional but look at the font charaters individualy this is easy a modern day font from a PC.
ASPB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBS is saying it was dated 19 May 1972.

Heres the article:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/08/60II/main641984.shtml

I think we're dealing with a forgery and a major election fraud.
Jim Peterson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey There ASPB;

That's the soft & low southern "Hey" as in Hello.

I looked at it and see a typical MFR (memorandum for record) of the time. While some may try to put a "SPIN" on it, I see that it tracks with what the Bush side has allways said.

And the last bit about talking to somebody upstairs? Who among us has not tried that more than once while we were in Rolling Eyes .

I seem to recall that if the chain of command could not get you where you wanted to go all you had to do was call a real nice lady in the records section out-side DC. If you made a good case she'd get you orders, if not she'd tell you to suck it up and soldier on. Then again, we were a small CMF in those days.

Training Aid for the staff Mar 74-Apr 95
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was written by a civilian. No doubt. The language is all wrong for even an informal memo.

The date format is wrong. The name appears twice? No first name? No details usually seen in memos.

It looks pretty cheezy to me.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
ASPB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Peterson wrote:
Hey There ASPB;

That's the soft & low southern "Hey" as in Hello.

I looked at it and see a typical MFR (memorandum for record) of the time. While some may try to put a "SPIN" on it, I see that it tracks with what the Bush side has allways said.

And the last bit about talking to somebody upstairs? Who among us has not tried that more than once while we were in Rolling Eyes .

I seem to recall that if the chain of command could not get you where you wanted to go all you had to do was call a real nice lady in the records section out-side DC. If you made a good case she'd get you orders, if not she'd tell you to suck it up and soldier on. Then again, we were a small CMF in those days.

I'm not talking about the content. I agree with what you're saying in that regard. I'm talking about the font. I don't think it could have been typed in 1972.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB,

Who would have typed that memo? I'm asking because I was in grad school at TAMU in 1977 and 1978. The group I was in had a word processor, but only the secretary used it. Faculty would not have DREAMED of doing their own typing.

I don't remember what the output looked like, but I'm pretty sure that it was typewriter print rather than proportional print. I don't remember dealing with proportional print on small computers until 1982 or 1983. I had an Osborne 1 and there was a way to patch WordStar for a proportional wheel on a daisy wheel printer but few people knew how to do that.

When I started work at LSU in 1986, lots of departments had IBM word processing units, but they all printed typewriter print.

The proportional spacing does look suspicious. It would almost have had to come from typesetting equipment, as you say, and that wasn't cheap. Doesn't make sense that TANG would have something like that. Wonder if there's anyone who has typesetting experience from that far back.
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very much like a forgery to me. The typesetting appears to be letter-spaced as on a computer. It would be simple enough to create a "look alike" document and the pass it through a lousy copier repeatedly until it got the multi-copied look. You have an excellent point. The type face appears to be in the Adobe family of fonts, perhaps Goudy or Garamond. Take a look at the serifs on the letters. Especially telling is the style of the capital "F". I do not have my type face book handy but given a few hours I can locate the style which is usually copyrighted. There are lots of graphic arts people who can recognize type faces and if that face was not a font generally in use outside of typo-setting houses in 1972 they are cooked.

In 1972 there were no type-setting machines on the market outside of commercial type houses. One of the first typewriters with a memory was producted by IBM (I know, I used one) and it used one of the old plastic type balls. It only held about two paragraphs of memory. I notice that there appear to be no erasures or corrections on the type of this page. We used white out back then. Just some thoughts.
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 10 years in active (3) and reserve (7) service. This is the first memo I've ever seen that only used a last name. No military person who ever snapped a salute would have written this. I think you are absolutely right. This has to be a forgery. Also, no military personel would have ever written a memo and not put own his typed name and rank on the bottom along with his written signature. The only exception would be signing for a superior and putting "by direction" with the superiors name.

Last edited by BuffaloJack on Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on the font now. Am waiting for the page to print before doing a little research.

Another thing that's odd. Notice how relatively uniform the spots are. Looks more like someone took a pen or pencil and just made dots all over the page.

No need to pass the thing through a copier several times. Just place it on a scanner a little askew and scan at a low resolution.
Cazador
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Looks like a word processing doc to me but are their any members of the group who would know and will they read this thread?

Time for Drudge?

What about a font expert for identification of the exact font used and even if it was in use back then.

Also, what kind of printer could have done this? The dot matrix printer was around but the text is too clean for that. Lasers were still in research and the rest were not fully developed or even thought of yet.

So that leaves the good old IBM Selectric and a few other typewriters. This doc looks proportional to me and that spells fraud.

Cazador
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomorelies,

When did the correcting Selectric come out? Must have been a little later. When I typed my master's paper, I had an relatively inexpensive electric typewriter that made corrections using that white tape, but there were correcting Selectrics by then (1978).

A proportional print wheel or ball for a typewriter would have been quite rare. Doesn't seem like something TANG would have had.
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a Selectric model and very few were produced. It would been after 1975. I think we have enough suspicion here to start an investigation. I have to get to work but hope that someone will drop an email to Major Garrett. I bet he would love to be the one to prove these Killian papers are fraud. Remember, this guy just pulled thse old documents out of his personal papers, not from the official records. It stinks of a dirty democrat trick and I honestly believe they are forged.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 99% sure that this was typed on a computer using Word. The font appears to be standard Times New Roman.

Here's the kicker. Word, by default uses 1.25" margins. That's not standard. When I learned to type (on a typewriter) we typically used 1" margins and every other word processing program I've ever used (WordStar, WordPerfect, Ami, Ami Pro, Professional Write, Word Pro, and I'm not sure what all else) has used 1" margins by default.

As a test, I opened a blank Word document and started typing. The line breaks in the pargraph I've typed so far are IDENTICAL to the ones in this memo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 1 of 67

Jump to: