SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NYTs trying to disenfranchise Military Vote!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stealthy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: NYTs trying to disenfranchise Military Vote! Reply with quote

[S-

One very senior Pentagon official I spoke to Tuesday was dumbfounded. He said, "The New York Times has outdone itself by having more errors per column inch in this editorial than in any other article I've ever seen. Those pesky facts once again elude the New York Times." Elude? Hardly. Facts occasionally elude those who are interested in them. The Times isn't. Before the editorial appeared, Pentagon spokesmen told the Times's editorial writer that no ballots were going to be handled by or transmitted through the Pentagon. But the Times ignored the facts and went about its business of purposely misleading the public.

What the Times described was a new system with which "military voters in combat zones will be able to e-mail their ballots to the Pentagon, which will then send them to local Missouri elections offices to be counted." The Times editorial also said that the ballots would be handled by a company with the melodramatic name of Omega Technologies, "hired for this purpose, at the company's offices and without the election observers who are present at normal polling places." Unfortunately for the Times — as it knew before the editorial was published — none of that is true. Ballots will not be e-mailed — through the Pentagon or otherwise — but hard-copy ballots could be faxed directly to state and local ballot-counters (And no one in the Pentagon seems to know who "Omega Technologies" is. Maybe it's related to Ah-nold's employer in True Lies, which was called "the Omega Agency.")

What is happening — in Missouri and North Dakota and other states — is that their registered voters who are away from home as members of the military, or of military families (and other civilians as well), are being enabled to obtain absentee ballots by the usual means, fill them in and fax them to the precinct or other ballot-counting official. They will also, under the new system, first request ballots normally through the mail and then — in some states — be able to download a hard-copy ballot to be filled out, signed, and faxed back to the state. The Pentagon isn't involved in handling any ballots. None. Zero. Zip. So where are all the creepy crawly ballot thieves, forgers, ghouls, and goblins the Times apparently thinks are at work in the Pentagon basement? They exist, but only in the imagination of the Times's fabulist crew. For good reason.

The Times's agenda is to give credence to the liberal groups who will, I'm sure, soon be filing suit to prevent the use of the new system. This agenda will be hidden under the usual claims of protecting the voting rights of someone or other. But their real goal is to disenfranchise the soldiers, sailors, Coast Guardsmen, airmen and Marines who are fighting for every American's right to vote. The only question remaining is which California federal judge will give them an injunction, and how long it takes for the Ninth Circuit to throw a monkey wrench in the works. Once these lawsuits are filed, the election will truly hang in the balance. And everyone who is interested in preserving the right of the solider to vote should oppose them.

full article

How do we stop them?
one more captins mast
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: thinking, thinking, thinking Reply with quote

NYT, Boston glob, LA nut case, etal are up on a bridge and they

have jumped , do we want to call the fire dept. and catch them

no, lets just watch, soon they will have "car adds, and house adds"

and all be called the "green sheets locals"
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Geedunk

Thanks
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering where this info came from, stealthy--I haven't taken the time to sort through all of the details, but it only took about 10 minutes to track down this much so I'm suspicious about the "And no one in the Pentagon seems to know who "Omega Technologies" is" part, which makes me a tad suspicious of it in general--

----Omega Technologies is an IT firm situated in Alexandria, VA--They provide a variety of IT solutions such as networking, data warehousing, and system development and federal government support services is, apparently, one of their specialties--

----One of the projects that is mentioned on their web site is "Coordination and management of absentee voting" for FVAP (Federal Voting Assistance Program)--The issuing agency for this project is listed as "Defense Supply Services, Washington, DC"--

I didn't see the NYT article referenced here but it does sound as if it certainly was misleading (as if that should surprise anyone)--OTOH, whoever wrote this wasn't very thorough, either because, as I said, the above information was very easy to find if he/she had wanted to--Just wondering what the source of this was--C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: