SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comments from an ally

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garycol
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Comments from an ally Reply with quote

As an Australian the result of the US Presidential race doesn’t directly affect me. Sure there is an indirect effect through the trade and strategic alliances between the two countries but in general we here don’t notice who is in the oval office. Naturally as a non-citizen I can’t influence the vote either way.
When I first heard the John Kerry was a Vietnam Veteran and was running for President of the United States, my knee-jerk though was "Great! Maybe now Veterans will get more recognition and hopefully the social justice they deserve”
Then the news services here reported on the first of the Swiftboat advertisements being aired and I (like a lot of vets I know here) started to think about this. I did have a look at this site and had a look at most of the links that have been posted. I’ll admit that I have not read every posting but enough I feel to get the general drift and the sense of anger not to mention the feeling of betrayal that is behind most of the posts.
To have been “in country” for only 4 months and come out of it with 3 Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and a Silver Star implies that he was one very busy (if not unlucky) boy during that time. I don’t know how the US Navy operated then but within the Australian system, on arrival in country, the first thing that happened was that we were posted to a training unit, both for acclimatization and further training which lasted for about six weeks.
I too have known Officers (only a couple and incidentally they didn’t get promoted as quickly as they thought they would) who bolstered their image within after action reports but in most cases they understated their individual involvement. Part of the reason for this was that other Officer’s and/or senior NCO’s also submitted reports. This was to ensure that nothing was missed. Anyone who has been in a firefight will know there is not time to take notes at the time (An image of some-one shouting out “Stop the war, I’ve lost me bloody pencil!” suddenly came to mind) and events happen so quickly that things do get missed at the debriefing.
I can remember a group of allegedly Vietnam Vets throwing their medals at the White House. At the time I thought that it was most likely a group of “want-a-bee’s” using replicas for some publicity stunt. When I heard of those Senate hearings into the activities (not widely covered here) of service personnel I thought that it was a total fabrication but assumed it was akin to the old lawyer adage of don’t ask the question if you don’t know the answer. At the same time wondered why there was never any court cases from them. Here were people publicly and under oath confessing to crimes. Yet to date; no charges have never been laid that I have heard of.
That the same person also conferred the enemy is by anyway you look at it treason whilst still serving (unless that action was officially sanctioned.) albeit in the Reserves.
To me the very thought that a real veteran would dishonour his mates and those who went before him was totally abhorrent.
I still hold that view even though at the time I did leave my service out of my resume when looking for employment.
To me the most disappointing thing is the continuing perpetration of the myth that the Free World Forces lost the war. Even today the media perpetrate this. Those who are knowledgeable are aware that the forces were withdrawn under the terms of the Paris Peace Accord. By the time of the fall of Siagon, all troops were out of the country with the exception of Embassy protection forces, which were permitted by the accord. The North Vietnamese broke that accord when they invaded the south and denied the people of their chance of self-determination
Well that is just a few thoughts from an outsider who is also an ally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your write-up and conclusions are pretty accurate, Gary. I think you have a good idea of why we are so determined that this traitor isn't going to be the next leader of our country. It's mind boggling that he made it this far, and that he even has the guts to try and run for President. It's bad enough he's in Congress, I can't imagine Massachusetts elected him and continued to return him to office for 19 years. Unbelieveable.
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,
Welcome aboard. I had the pleasure of visiting Sydney in 87 aboard the USS Midway and I have to say it was my favorite port of call. A few years ago I joined the US subsidiary of the Australian Company, Aristocrat and I have had the pleasure of working with many of your countrymen and women.

In your post you wondered why there was not any court cases after the Kerry’s Senate testimony. The reason there was no court cases was because after an investigation by the Marine Commandant it was found that there was no evidence of atrocities. I believe much more info on this can be found at www.wintersoldier.com
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Gary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: