SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Less Than an Honorable Discharge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Less Than an Honorable Discharge? Reply with quote

We have never seen the DD-Form 214 that shows when Kerry completed his full service obligation including reserve time and his discharge status.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a discharge certificate and DD-Form 214 are issued immediately upon discharge. These documents are very important to recieve Vet Benefits. Why did Kerry recieve his discharge 20 years after he left the Navy? A wounded Vet who may need medical care in the future.

The only situation I can think of that would cause this action is if a "General" discharge under honorable conditions recieved earlier was requested to be upgraded to an "Honorable" discharge in 1992.

Help me out Admin guys.

Do you think the Navy smacked him on the way out the door for his treacherous actions?

Independent that leans right of center.

Last edited by PhantomSgt on Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that the later DD-214 was issued after he submitted his DD-215 for corrections to his original DD-214 dated 1978. Why he kept his commission until then is anybodies guess.

All the more reason he should sign SF-180 and release all his files, unabridged.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Less Than an Honorable Discharge? Reply with quote

PhantomSgt wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but a discharge certificate and DD-Form 214 are issued immediately upon discharge.

Not for an officer leaving extended active duty (EAD) going into the reserves. Officers aren't actually "discharged" until they resign their commission or have it "resigned" for them by their branch of the service.

Leaving EAD, officers get a DD 214 but no discharge certificate.

One reason for the latter would be failure to be selected for a mandatory promotion - in candidate Kerry's case - promotion to O-4. Since he was inactive with NO participation, he would not have been selected. '78 (his 12 year point - 8 years after O-3) is about right for O-4.
SEABEE_JAG
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Less Than an Honorable Discharge? Reply with quote

I GOT TWO DD-214'S. ONE WHEN I WAS RELEASED FROM ACTIVE DUTY IN '68, AND THE OTHER ONE WHEN I WAS RELEASED FROM A SECOND TOUR ("VOLUNTARY RECALL TO ACTIVE DUTY")

I DID NOT GET A DD-214WHEN I RETIRED. I GOT A CERTIFICATE AND LETTER FROM PRESIDENT GEORGE H. BUSH AND A BUNCH OF STUFF GTROM NMPC AND THE DFC.

COMMANDER, JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERALS CORPS, USNR (RETIRED)

ACTIVE DUTY: ENSIGN/LIEUTENANT (JG), CIVIL ENGINEER CORPS (SEA BEES - IN THE MUD WITH THE MARINES)
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Less Than an Honorable Discharge? Reply with quote

SEABEE_JAG wrote:
I GOT TWO DD-214'S. ONE WHEN I WAS RELEASED FROM ACTIVE DUTY IN '68, AND THE OTHER ONE WHEN I WAS RELEASED FROM A SECOND TOUR ("VOLUNTARY RECALL TO ACTIVE DUTY")

I DID NOT GET A DD-214WHEN I RETIRED. I GOT A CERTIFICATE AND LETTER FROM PRESIDENT GEORGE H. BUSH AND A BUNCH OF STUFF GTROM NMPC AND THE DFC.

COMMANDER, JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERALS CORPS, USNR (RETIRED)

ACTIVE DUTY: ENSIGN/LIEUTENANT (JG), CIVIL ENGINEER CORPS (SEA BEES - IN THE MUD WITH THE MARINES)

SEABEE_JAG I charge you with spewing and running. Rather then answering a question on an earlier thread you move onto another one. So lets see the one of 2 DD Form 214's.

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=70205#70205

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: