SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did any one hear Rather on CNN? I posted the transcript
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gulf1609
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Did any one hear Rather on CNN? I posted the transcript Reply with quote

I was finally starting to get some work done when I flipped by CNN and heard Rather state emphatically that there would be retraction, apology and that the info in memos is true and those who don't like what they say can't stop them. He also went on to say that the question is not about where the memos came from but how Bush is going to answer the new questions.

We need to now find a way to mobilize. This is not acceptable. Maybe we can get together with all the other sites that debunked this yesterday and find a way to be heard. Any ideas?

Last edited by gulf1609 on Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
kmmpatriot
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTH?????????? Since when is it the reporter's job to say that the subject of the suspect memos has to
Quote:
answer the new questions

My head is spinning...

~Kylie
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since CBS is having investigations on this topic, and Rather coming out to say this, he should without a doubt, be FIRED if they are shown to be forged. Heck, I think he should be fired regardless, but for him to stand by the documents and say all that crap while his own company is doing investigations is ridiculous.
bach04
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was speculating that Rather would come out and retract the story before tomorrow 9/11 anniversary, blaming it on some minor oversight, blah blah. And then the mass media would try to "forget" the story with all the coverage of 9/11. Boy am I ever wrong. Baghdad Dan, you have just earned yourself a pink slip fro CBS.
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be deliciously appropriate for a man who launched his journalistic career as a reporter in Vietnam to have his career ended by a Vietnam era scandal.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that "Danny Boy" may be in trouble here. From what I can tell, he's made a number of enemies in his profession.

If he persists in his Teresa Heinz-Kerryesque attitude (e.g., "don't like it, then shove it") regarding this one - and if the documents are indeed proven to be the clumsy forgeries they appear to be - I think we'll see a feeding frenzy that would rival a school of sharks.

Awww gee . . . that would be sooo sad. Just sooo sad.

And long overdue.
gulf1609
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously Rather thinks he will not be fired over this deal. I am trying to find his exact words. Any idea how I can find a transcript from CNN of a quick "interview" they did with Rather (He looked like they caught him walking down the street)
grandforker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't surprise me at all. Perhaps someone can recall this better than I can, but before the 2000 election, a news story came out that wasn't flattering to Al Gore. (I can't remember exactly what it was about.)

Dan Rather immediately proclaimed that this was yet another case of Republican dirty tricks. He even posted a column on the CBS Web site blasting Bush and the Republicans for their negative campaigning.

Within a day, it was revealed that the story had not come from any Republican, but from a judge who had improperly leaked the information to a reporter. Bush supporters were outraged by this and flooded CBS with e-mails and posted comments on the CBS Web site.

Despite that, Rather never apologized and CBS never retracted or corrected his false statement. His dishonest column alleging Republican dirty tricks stayed on the CBS Web site for several days after it was proven to be completely false.

Trust me, folks. I have a journalism degree. I worked as a reporter, editor and photographer for six years. I've been employed in the media relations field for the past 20 years. I still dabble in the journalism profession on a freelance basis.

You're dealing with hypocrites who have no shame and wouldn't recognize a double standard if it hit them between the eyes. I'm long past the point of being surprised at anything the media says or does.
gulf1609
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rush is playing is right now
Absolut
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh.. Rush had the clip and played the whole thing. Sounds like he thinks that this is such a rock solid source they aren;t going to concede and feels the Bush should answer the questions and HOW they got the story... Rolling Eyes
bach04
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

listen to rush online at:

http://www.kfi640.com/interactive/streaming.html

Rush said that Rathergate will be a huge blow to the mass media...
Stacman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBS as a whole, and the 60 Minutes crew are through and through democratic whining weenies. There's no way they're going to fire him. He has a fan base. They may all be weenies like him, but too many to dump him. Another network would snatch him up and the viewers will follow. Thereby having a detrimental effect on ratings.

More likely he'll be given a promotion to managing producer, and a hefty salary renegotiation.

Don't think CBS is investigating in order to discredit their star anchor. More likely is a charade in an effort to show an unbiased form of integrity. Besides, they'd need to show some effort to ward off the FCC simply because the documents are so blatantly fake, and experts have proven it.

The most they'll do is make their own experts who offered authentication scapgoats, and fire them. Not to worry though. They'll bring them back in through the backdoor after the dust settles...
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If enough people write to the advertisers indicating you're boycotting their products if they continue to advertise on CBS News programs you'll see a lot more happen a lot sooner.
Navyolsalt
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Write to Advertisers Reply with quote

Although it took a little time I wrote to every advertiser as you suggested! We really need to put a stop to this CBS "Fraud and Biased" reporting.
Sincerely,
Navyolsalt
Sonar5
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, the best you can do is as suggested, don't watch cbs, and write the advertisers...

CBS is like Kerry, they won't name the document experts because they don't exist, IMHO, unless they are trying to buy one now that says they would be willing to take the fall.... HIGHLY DOUBTFUL....

CBS will protect them as a source as if it matters, but too many poeple knew and I am betting the deals are already being made with dollars by somebody, and the dems will talk and it will lead right back to the dnc and kerry's campaign, IMHO, as speculated in the Spectator article bandied about the net...

Keep up the pressure folks....

It does make a difference...
And YOU are making a difference...

My Home at AboutPolitics.net:
http://www.aboutpolitics.net/phpBB2/index.php

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: