SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Washington, DC rally

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanVCC
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Washington, DC rally Reply with quote

Here is the Associated Press' account of the Swiftee rally in DC yesterday, 09/12/04. The account implies one speaker and a very small uninvolved audience. Not true on either account. As near as I could tell, the anti rally people numbered about 8 to 10 college age people who worked the fringe of the crowd with shouts that were hard to understand. Note the article neglects to mention that McPeak is a paid employee of Kerry's campaign. Just for the record, the article is 262 words long with 110 of them about the rally and 152 about the Kerry position.

WASHINGTON -- Chanting "Kerry lied," hundreds of Vietnam veterans on Sunday rallied against fellow veteran and Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry.

Comrades died because of people like Kerry and Jane Fonda, asserted Larry Bailey, a U.S. Navy veteran and president of Vietnam Vets for the Truth.

With the U.S. Capitol as a backdrop, Bailey accused Kerry of lying three decades ago when he returned from Vietnam and gave testimony before the U.S. Senate in 1971 alleging widespread atrocities by American troops.

"We can tell him (Kerry) and spit in his eye while we're doing it, 'we served honorably and compassionately,'" Bailey said to cheers from the crowd of approximately 1,000.

Bailey's speech was interrupted when a shouting match broke out between a lone Kerry supporter in a wheelchair, Vietnam veteran Bobby Mueller, and a number of the anti-Kerry vets.

Before the rally, a group of supporters held a news conference nearby to defend Kerry and call for an end to the TV ads attacking the military record of the Massachusetts senator.

"What we ought to be talking about is what's happening today and that includes the best person to lead us out of the mess we've got ourselves in Iraq," Retired Gen. Merrill "Tony" McPeak, a former chief of staff of the Air Force, told reporters.

McPeak, who is advising the Kerry campaign and is a Vietnam veteran, said those who have questioned the five medals Kerry was awarded for Vietnam either weren't directly serving with him or their accounts have been directly contradicted by other vets who were side-by-side with Kerry.
Montana
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find it amazing to read about a meeting or event
that I personally attended. Usually they donīt match. The reporter
often has preset ideas on how to write the story and looks
for quotes and ways to support their bias.

I enjoyed watching on CSPAN the entire rally. Thought it was great
and all speakers were wonderful. Especially enjoyed the Vietnam Vet.
nurseīs story about the baby, etc. She looked like she was
ready to kick some you-know-what. Also OīNeill was super. Loved
the line about Kerry not being worthy to tie the shoes of some of the
Swift Boat REAL heros present.

Much of the press just doesnīt get it...

Montana
FF1047
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: STEVEN J. PITKIN Reply with quote

I watched some of the rally, it was the first step in what I hope is the historical correction of the Vietnam experience in America.

On a side not I thought it took real courage for Steven Pitkin to get up there and apologize. From what I have read he seems to be sincere in his regrets about getting involved with the VVAW.
stupson
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Rally Impression Reply with quote

The rally was a truly great experience no matter what the MSM says about it.

Annecdotely, there was a young lady reporter (she said Washington Post) doing interviews with those present. Two vets in front of me asked what she thought of the event. She said "The majority here believe Kerry lied about Vietnam Veterans," then she quickly added she had to remain objective as a reporter.

The Vet pressed her by aking what her own opinion was. Her short response was "Kerry Lied." Interesting.

It was a privelege for me to have beeen in the presence of these soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines. These Vets. These men of honor and "un-nuanced" moral clarity. Men who were POWs, heroes. Men who always gave far more than they got and deserved far better than they received.

Kerry once said before Congress we were not "America's best." Only in his case is that statement irrefutable. He spoke about himself, not those present this fine Sunday afternoon.

Stu Upson
New Bern, NC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: