SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dan Rather
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwcarter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Dan Rather Reply with quote

Am I the only one who noticed that Dan Rather is hoarse tonight? Think it is from screaming at people all day or a nervous reaction to his dead reputation??
the0point
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was from all the screaming going on in the back room during their conference calls to the executives...and the person who handed Dan the documents. IMO.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've gotta love it. Laughing
rekcutt
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Dan Rather Reply with quote

I can't believe it, Dan Rather - "don't pay any attention to the format of the letters, or even the remote possibility of an actual typewriter being able to do this, you must look at the content of this "fraudulent" letters - that is what is important"

God, I think CBS needs to lose their license, that organization should fall under the RICO laws - not the FCC.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please utilize the Geedunk forum for comments relating to this issue.

Thanks
WallaceNails
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather is unbelievable

FOUR MORE YEARS!!!!!!!!!
Shane's PopPop
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read just about every post listed on FR today about this item. And no where have I seen it posted or stated that in 1972 there were 641 casualties from all types of action in Viet Nam but in 1971 there had been 2,357.

The war was winding down and the chances of GWB being called into action were about as likely as me being called back to active duty after doing my four.
http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/vietnam_war_casualty_lists/statistics.html
the0point
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email them like crazy. This is absolutely ridiculous!! No mention of the kerning, which CANNOT be done by typewriter, nor the incorrect formating of the date, nor the fact that Killian DID NOT TYPE.... CBS said they did not have originals....hmm...so maybe the signature was photocopied over? Anyone at CBS asking this question? hmm....apparantly not...
1AD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Truth or consequences Reply with quote

Just saw Dan on the News. As Sean Hannity predicted he ignored the fact that they (CBS Evening News) had spoken to Killian's wife and daughter and ignored what they had to say about the documents. The wife and daughter doubted their authenticity. Among other things Killian did not have an office at home! Where did the documents come from?

Dan also ignored that the documents "break" as if they were typed on a word processor. Ignored that a sample typed on a processor fits exactly over the "authentic" documents. Ignored that the documents are centered like they would be on a word processor. Dan's expert said the signatures were authentic but he ignored the other evidence showing they were done on a processor. Ignored the proportionality spacing. Ignored the kerning

On Fox the person speaking to Jim Angle said Staudt was gone so why would Killian worry about Staudt. The descriptive acronym for the unit was not correct.

However, Dan did say that one document released by Bush did show the superscript. Can anyone find that document? As far as that document in a prior post [A different topic showed a document with superscript] there is no date so when was it done??? For the run for governor, Congress, 2000, when?

Dan set up straw men and then knocked them down. He ignored facts not in his favor and tried to highlight those in his favor i.e., his experts statements. A lawyers trick. Same thing they tried to do with Kerry's exploits.

We cannot let Dan get away with this.
68RSVN
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't get it? Rolling Eyes

IF all of these "memorandums for the record" are true; all you have is that Bush wasn't such a gung-ho National Guard officer and that his commanding officer didn't think much of him but Bush was still allowed an "honorable discharge" from his National Guard unit. There is no picture of 20 plus National Guard pilots showing that 75% of them think Bush is unfit nor is there 200 National Guardsmen from Texas who think Bush is unfit and only 8 suporting Bush for president. If the meno is correct, only ONE of Bush's commanding officers has something bad to say about him.

This can't be good news for Kerry. If you think Bush shouldn't be president based on his National Guard service, you surely can't think Kerry is fit to be dog catcher of the smallest town in America.
the0point
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what have we learned here...

Dan Rather had to go on the evening news and defend documents that in all probability were forged. Instead of addressing all the questions or even saying that CBS was the pinnicle of intregrity and would investigate fully, he evaded and talked about partisan attacks and the truth, and rebutted a few of the more nuanced claims (i.e. yes, Dan, we know the th was possible..in 1972..BUT--what you forgot to mention was that it was not on standard typewriters that also used Times New Roman, especially the ones that the TANG had). He presents an anti-Bush author, plays some video, and produces a handwriting analyst to look at a photocopied document. That's it. I believe him... Rolling Eyes

People, this whole thing is dirty. This is going to be a knock down drag out fight to the finish in November. Prepare yourselves. Now that CBS has been outed as purely partisan and attack dogs for the Kerry camp, much like the NYT and the WaPo attacked the Swift Boat Veterans a few weeks ago, they are going to do everything in their power to pull Kerry across the finish line to the Presidency.
PC
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Elaborate Reply with quote

The most elaborate and detailed evaulation of the forgery I have read so far.

This guy knows his stuff. I have a magazine publishing backround and actually owned a typesetting company from 1973 to 1976 and everything he says seems to confirm that he knows what's up.

http://www.bondwine.com/gulag/archives/000183.html
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the0point wrote:
Prepare yourselves. Now that CBS has been outed as purely partisan and attack dogs for the Kerry camp, much like the NYT and the WaPo attacked the Swift Boat Veterans a few weeks ago, they are going to do everything in their power to pull Kerry across the finish line to the Presidency.

DR has been a DNC fund raiser in Austin for years. As is his daughter.

They would not interview anyone for this story that wasn't "unbiased". translation, no republicans or pro-military.

Anyone notice that there were not any military with experience in these matters interviewed?

thank god i knew this was coming or i would have nuked the tv. Twisted Evil
Ellis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>> IF all of these "memorandums for the record" are true; all you have is that Bush wasn't such a gung-ho National Guard officer and that his commanding officer didn't think much of him but Bush was still allowed an "honorable discharge" from his National Guard unit. <<<

That is worth repeating. Bush is not running on his record of 30 years ago, as is Kerry. Bush was an alcoholic once, but he has admitted it and done a very commendable job of repairing any damage and living a good life. Kerry should do likewise with his errors. That fact that Kerry will not or cannot is very worrisome.

Last edited by Ellis on Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
the0point
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the hilarity...

http://defeatjohnjohn.com/2004/09/10000-part-two-ibm-selectric.htm

They are offering a substantial reward to anyone who can recreate the TANG documents on the Selectric. But they warn the contestants...the Selectric's OWN MANUAL SAYS THAT SUPERSCRIPTS LIKE THE ONE IN THE CBS DOCUMENT IS IMPOSSIBLE!

Apparently the Selectric can superscript or subscript, however it uses the same font size, as the typeface ball was fixed. See the pictures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: