SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bush's Backers Donate Heavily to Veteran Ads - NY Times

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JK
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Bush's Backers Donate Heavily to Veteran Ads - NY Times Reply with quote

NY Times spin to show public large donations from Republican supporters to link SBVT to Bush and failure to show the impact of smaller donations unlike other 527s that support Kerry..plus fails to report lack of mainstream media support to SBVT. We can expect many more attacks from papers like the NYT in the following days and weeks to Nov 2. Keep handing out flyers, using bumper stickers etc. to support SBVT

JK

Bush's Backers Donate Heavily to Veteran Ads
By GLEN JUSTICE and ERIC LICHTBLAU

Published: September 11, 2004

WASHINGTON, Sept. 10 - Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, an advocacy group that jolted the presidential race with commercials questioning Senator John Kerry's military service, said it had raised $6.7 million in a windfall brought about by the group's high profile in recent weeks.

Several of the largest donors are longtime supporters of President Bush, according to a financial disclosure report filed on Friday with the Federal Election Commission.

The largest contributor was T. Boone Pickens, a famous Texas oilman and longtime Republican supporter who was a major political backer of Mr. Bush's father, who gave $500,000 to the Swift boat group. Aubrey McClendon, chief executive of Chesapeake Energy in Oklahoma, gave $250,000; Bob Perry, another Bush supporter from Texas, gave $200,000 to seed the group; and Albert Huddleston, a Texas energy executive who has raised money for Mr. Bush, gave $100,000, records show.

Sam Wyly, the wealthy Texas entrepreneur who financed commercials attacking Senator John McCain in the 2000 Republican primary against Mr. Bush, also made the list at $10,000 , as did his brother Charles, records show. At least two Swift boat donors are also listed as Bush Pioneers, meaning they raised at least $100,000 for Mr. Bush.

"The words 'tidal wave' come to mind,'' said Mike Russell, a spokesman for the group, who added that "you don't often see that type of grassroots reaction."

The group's impact is one of the most visible examples of the effect that so-called 527 committees are having on the presidential race. The groups, named for the section of the tax code that created them, can collect unlimited soft money' contributions not allowed for political parties and candidates.

Democrats made heavy use of these groups early in the race, raising tens of millions through organizations like the Media Fund, America Coming Together and the MoveOn.org Voter Fund, drawing complaints from Republicans who said they were illegal. Mr. Bush's campaign filed a complaint with the election commission in March alleging that the Kerry campaign and the Democratic groups were violating campaign finance laws by coordinating illegally.

Indeed, a procession of top strategists have moved back and forth between Mr. Kerry's campaign and the advocacy groups, drawing fresh rounds of Republican protests.

Swift Boat Veterans for Truth has spent more than $4.2 million since April, Mr. Russell said, with most of it spent on radio and television advertisements. It had about $2.5 million left in the bank this week, he said, leaving the group in a strong position to continue its barrage of attack ads.

The Swift boat group's disclosure listed only part of its contributions - donors who gave $1,000 or more - and was required because the group ran advertisements covered under new campaign finance laws. The group released additional information in a statement and in interviews, saying that much of its money had come in after its provocative advertisements captured media attention in recent weeks.

Among the donors from President Bush's home state was Lawrence Gelman, a doctor in McAllen, who made six contributions of $1,000 each beginning in late August. Mr. Gelman said he first heard about the group's campaign amid last month's burst of media reports and decided he wanted to support it.

"This thing about Kerry and his medal to me sounded very odd," Mr. Gelman said. "As a physician, I understand that for someone to be wounded that many times and not have to be hospitalized sounded very strange. It made me feel better to help people who had what I thought was a legitimate point of view."

Dr. Gelman, 52, described himself as conservative politically and said that while he had donated to Mr. Bush, he was not a big fan: "To me, he's the lesser of two evils. I'm not thrilled with President Bush, but I think he would be better than Kerry."

He added that the counterattacks on the Swift boat group and its veracity have spurred him to make more contributions.

"When someone comes out against them, I get riled up and give another contribution," he said. The group began attacking Mr. Kerry's record in Vietnam months ago and started its commercials in recent weeks which, though their claims have been called into question, have monopolized the presidential race at times.

The group has used only three television ads attacking Mr. Kerry, but it has received reams of national publicity in the media. A new book, "Unfit for Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry'' by John E. O'Neill, a fellow Vietnam veteran who has been criticizing Mr. Kerry for

30 years, and Jerome R. Corsi, hit No. 1 on the best-seller list.

Mr. O'Neill, who has been the group's most visible spokesman, donated more than $35,000 to the group, records show.

The Bush-Cheney campaign has denied involvement in the attacks and Mr. Bush has called for such advocacy groups to stop spending money in the race, saying they are "bad for the system.''

Friday's disclosure drew jeers from Mr. Kerry's campaign, which has filed a complaint against the group before the election commission last month, accusing the organization of violating campaign laws by coordinating its activities with the Bush campaign.

Chad Clanton, a campaign spokesman, called Swift Boat Veterans a "discredited group.''

"No matter how much money they spend," Mr. Clanton said, "two facts remain: their charges have been completely discredited, and they're clearly doing the dirty work of the Bush-Cheney campaign."

A spokesman for the Bush campaign, Scott Stanzel, declined comment on the financial disclosure.

Mr. Russell said that the group's money was proof that its commercials were resonating.

"We've been successful at getting our message out,'' he said. "More important, we've been successful at raising questions about Mr. Kerry's character and his fitness as commander in chief.''

After the commission declined to regulate 527 committees before this year's election, Republicans entered the fray with groups of their own, which have themselves begun to raise tens of millions of dollars.

Admin note: Please provide a link to a legitimate source when posting non-original content to this forum. Thank you
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is great....considering the MSM press was covering the initial starter money from known republicans as a big deal, as if they were funding it like George Soros with 15 Million at a shot.....well considering Republicans were already blamed as much as can be...for what is truly and VETERAN issue, not a Dem or Rep issue....I think it is just wonderful that some of the Republicans decided to go ahead and donate. There is nothing more the MSM can say about the funds that they have not already said.

The source of funds is seldom an issue, its how those funds are put to work, and the work of the Swift-vets is honest and honorable.
justamom
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me for a moment here, but I AM FURIOUS!!!!

Can someone tell me EXACTLY WHEN, HOW, OR WHERE the Swift Boat Veterans were discredited????

Did I miss something?

For God's sake, with all the furor over Bush's Guard service and the forgery scandal CBS is dealing with - IS NO ONE GOING TO BOTHER GOING THROUGH KERRY'S RECORDS WITH THE SAME VERACITY?

Honestly, this is the most absurd thing I have ever witnessed.

Isn't there something we can do / someone we can write BESIDES THE MSM to address our questions?

I simply cannot believe that EVERYWHERE I see mention of the Swift Boat Veterans, I see statements that all of their allegations were discredited...WHEN? BY WHOM?
RogerDraftDodger
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Hey NYT... Reply with quote

KERRY Supporters may be contributing to MOVEON.org!

Yuh Think!

Mysterious Hungarian, George Soros who has shadowy ties to Russian mafia. Who has been accused of manipulation of international markets. May have supported moveon.org with over 7 milllion dollars. Thsi is more than the entire 6.7 million received by the swiftvets from over 53,000 donors...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: