SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G'Day from an Ozzie grunt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garycol
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: G'Day from an Ozzie grunt. Reply with quote

I hope you don't mind having an Australian post on here. I am formerly 3795120 Pte. Gary J. Collins and yes I am a Vietnam Veteran having started my tour a couple of days after "man kicked the moon" in June 1969 and got back to the real world 1 year and 1 day later but then who counted.
I served with the 9th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (9RAR) until they redeployed back in Australia then served with HQ Company 1 Australian Task Force (HQ Coy. 1ATF).
Yes I was a reinforcement and will be the first to admit that I was scared s***less. We had been feed so much bull by all our training staff it is a wonder that there was anybody on that flight. But we did go and things were not quite as bad as we expected. I have posted pictures that I and some mates took on my homepage at http://www.garycol.com/veitnam/my_vietnam.htm
Since my service in SVN I did do a second stint with the Australian Army this time with 1 RAR.
After my tour I have suffered through all of the indignities that the members of the Free World Forces have suffered since their time in country.
I am now working through the local Sub-Branch of the largest ExServices organisation in Australia for the detterment of all ex-service presonnel.
I am the local President. This is dispite the fact that when we first came home some segments of the Returned & Services League of Australia (R&SL) didn'y want to know us. It was not a real war (not like WW2) or so they thought. There is now full integration with Vietnam Vets holding most positions of authority but that's another story.
Even today I suffer from problems from that time with PTSD being the least of those problems. I was forced to retire from employment a couple of years ago having fought it for many years.
I will post my views on the subject at hand on a later date and in the meantime hope that you have no problems with an ozzie ex-grunt being onboard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
debewley
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Gary. I salute you for your service.

Dave
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, welcome to the group. I served with some Aussies in Ubon, Thailand in 1973. They never told us what their job was, but they were into something serious, from their attitude. My wife is from Melbourne and we still own a house there. My 4 year old son was born in The Northern Hospital in Epping. Very Happy It's a great place. I even made a skydive last time I was there, at Packinham. That's a really beautiful area, reminds me of here. We may be moving over with you in the near future, the job situation here isn't looking too bright. If so, maybe I'll give you a call and see if I'd be welcome in the R&SL, being a bloody yank and all. Very Happy Thanks for the support, brother.
redneckvet
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

Had the honor of working with some "Aussie grunts" in the latter part of 69 around Duc Pho. Nothing but respect for you guys.

Welcome aboard.......and welcome home.
roughfun
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad refueled his Sub in Aus between war patrols in WWII. Dont know what happened there but everytime he got drunk all us kids had to belt out Waltzing Matilda with him. First song I learned. Semper Fi.
FMBass
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people of Australia have been great friends to the US.

Thanks

I’m sure you will recognize the name of the ship I served on.
redhawk34
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, personally, am honored to welcome an Aussie Soldier. Wish we had some Koreans, EnZed, Thai, and so on. We stood together, alone.
I got some good ARTY, some REAL good Arty, from Aussie tubes down in the southern part of the Rung Sat on a couple occasions. Don't know where it came from, just saw the impact end.
I had an assistant Coxswain from Georgia at that time, trying to set up DEFCONS with OZ ARTY, and watched in hysterics as Deep South tried to communicate with Strine. He handed me the mike, saying, "Ah thawt yeu sayed theyem people spoke English!"
Redhawk 34
garycol
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome . I had to chuckle at a couple of the stories. I agreed strine can be hard to understand and unfortunately it is dying out. Some of our soldiers can be a "bit" secretive of what they are doing especially the Special Air Service (SAS) or as we called them the Super Grunts.
Yes Australian Servicemen has be friends of their US counterparts for many years. I understand as far back to the days of WW1 and the Battle of the Somme. It was then reinforced during WW2 with our mutual problems in the Pacific region. Then there was Korea and Vietnam. Even today with both Iraq wars and Afganistan.
I am sure that if any of you do venture down this was the RSL would welcome you with open arms I know my Sub-Branch would.
Actually I feel a bit sorry for you with your elections where from the media reports i have seen it looks like you are forced to select the lesser of two evils from a Veterans point of view and i wish you all luck with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless the Aussies. Always there when you need 'em!!!

Great to hear from you. Spread the word!!!
jaxinman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome garycol... I did not fight beside Aussies, but I knew you were there and I have often proclaimed that my R&R to Sydney in 1969 saved my life. I was ready to re-up for VN service until I visited a civilized city and realized that there is a real world out there. I cancelled my re-up paperwork when I returned and served the remaining two months to go back to the world.

I revisited Sydney in 1993 and it brought back so many wonderful memories of a great and supportive people. Thank you for your support!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that! "God bless the Ozzies," indeed!

Welcome aboard!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: