SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9/11 REMEMBERED
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: 9/11 REMEMBERED Reply with quote

Hello,

Please add whatever you feel to 9/11 Remembered thread.

9/11 Remembered

Tribute to 9/11 Heros

Please donate to the.. RED CROSS
susanlprince
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm praying for our country today.

http://www.gunstuff.com/america-attacked.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Curtis H.
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been 3 years now. What were you doing on that tragic day?

September 11, 2001

I was at work. Heard on the radio that one of the WTC towers had been struck by a plane. I and a couple coworkers contiued to listen for updates while working.

When it was reported that the second tower was hit by a plane, I knew that very moment that we were under attack. That things would never be the same from that day forward.

When I finally had the opportunity to watch TV coverage, I was truly shocked. I was outraged. I was sad.

Living less than two hours north of NYC and one who had family in harms way on that dreadful day, I take this day more seriously than others may.

We must never forget. I know I won't. God Bless America!
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother, who retired from LA County Fire Department on his birthday that day, called me to turn on the TV because we had been hit by terrorists. It was a very hard day for him in many ways, not the least of which was knowing his fire fighter brothers were dying after going into those buildings.
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God Bless America

Always Remember . . .

http://home.comcast.net/~sept11/
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Instapundit for a touching message from our troops.

Quote:
The proud warriors of Baker Company wanted to do something to pay tribute to our fallen comrades. So since we are part of the only Marine Infantry Battalion left in Iraq the one way that we could think of doing that is by taking a picture of Baker Company saying the way we feel. It would be awesome if you could find a way to share this with our fellow countrymen.

I was wondering if there was any way to get this into your papers to let the world know that "WE HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN" and are proud to serve our country." Semper Fi

1stSgt Dave Jobe
spudhorse
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at work early preparing for a meeting with a manager from the United Airlines fueling office (I worked for a company that was interested in supplying a product to United's fueling operations). Someone had a small black and white TV in their desk that we all watched. After the meeting, he tried to catch a flight back to Chicago and found, of course, that he couldn't. He wound up renting a car and driving.

Later in the afternoon we had another meeting to review where our next move should be in closing the deal. I remember saying "Thanks for coming to the meeting on such a difficult day." The Vice President looked at me and said "Why?" I was stunned. I said "Because thousands of people have died and we're almost certainly going to war!" He looked at me as if I had just landed from Mars.

It still boggles the mind how people --even today -- somehow just don't get it.

Mark
Papa Yolk
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard the news on the truck radio on my way to the Boise VA hosp. By the time I pulled into the parking lot the first tower fell. I was mad as hell. I sat in the lobby next to a couple of old Vets. One was wearing a cap that identified him as a Peal Harbor survivor. He understood. Watching the TV on the wall he slowly shook his head and said, “We’re at War again.”
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember I was talking to a lady in our accounting office and behind her on her desk was a little black and white tv. I remember how we were all gathered around this tiny tv set watching this all happen. I'll never forget that day.
susanlprince
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in my store in Jackson, TN when my roommate called to say a plane hit the WTC. I said "hmmmm, bad pilot". (I was thinking small, light plane...I hear about them sometimes crashing into buildings...sorry...I didn't know!)

She called later to say another airliner hit the other tower. I could feel a chill in me. This was obviously a planned thing and I became afraid and confused.

I immediately pulled a radio out of stock and listened in horror to the events as the first tower collapsed, then later the second.

I didn't play music in the store that day (I manage a music store where I sell CDs), I just listened to the radio news reports as everthing began to unfold. I didn't have much sales traffic so I continued to work on things throughout the day and get caught up. All I really wanted to do was go home and watch the news. At that point I hadn't seen anything, only had the radio tuned in. Some customers came in and described what they watched on tv, so I went next door to Radio Shack to see for myself. Unbelievable.

The mall closed early. It was a somber mood that day. Horrific. Frightening.

America has moved beyond that tragic day, and I pray it never forgets 9/11.

I am blessed to live in this great country.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at a Hospital having my shoulder evaluated, when I walked out past the waiting room I heard a blurb about a Plane Crash in New York (the first plane had hit the WTC). It wasn't until a little while later on my way into work that I heard that another plane had just crashed into the other Tower. I knew immediately it was no accident and that we had been attacked.
Immediately my thoughts went to Bin Laden and just knew that he had a hand in this. The anger swelled and it was difficult to drive, I should have just gone right home at that point but continued on to my job. When I got into the office the TV was on and the horror that I saw struck me to my core.
The rest is a blur, the Penatagon, Pennsylvania, the Towers tumbling.
I went outside after the 2nd Tower came down and the Ban on Flights had been announced. As I stood there with a friend a 747 flew over very slowly and low headed back to Logan, it sent chills up my spine.
I went home and found my wife absolutely devestated on the couch, she had watched it all happen live on the Today Show. I do not think either of us slept that night or much in the following days. I later found out my Brother in Law lost 8 people from his Office who were on one of the Planes that hit the Towers. I had met a few of them the previous year at a party and had interviewed for a job with one.
I will never forget the feelings of anger, shock, hatred, and also the feeling of the Nation finnaly coming together.
Today I still feel much of those same things, unfortunately I see the Nation forgetting what they felt that day and a Life goes on attitude. Yes life goes on, but we should never ever forget that day, why it happened and how much those bastards hate us and desire to do even more to us.
God Bless the families and loved ones who lost someone that day. God Bless the men and woman fighting to make sure that we eliminate those who would do us harm.
To those who have already forgotten, I pity them. When we get hit again they will wonder why, how, and look to blame those not responsible.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox news is repeating a lot of the live coverage from that morning, right now.
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just showed the 2 planes crashing into the towers again. It brings back all the emotions and leaves me as speechless as I was that day.
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in the WTC for 3 years and used it as a commuting hub
for another 15 years.

I recall watching WTC being built in the early 70's. I remember the
objections and the complaints of its modern design.
Many didn't like the appearance and neither did I for a few years.

But over the years the buildings proved out the simple beauty of
their architecture. They were powerful. Viewing them a couple of blocks away gave the appearance of something many times taller than they were.

Taking the PATH each day I would arrive or depart from the WTC.
Glad to arrive, glad to be going home. I recall the '93 bombing and
will never forget standing like refugees among 50,000 people near
the World Financial Center waiting for small ferry boats ( about the
size of a Swift boat ) to evacuate the tens of thousands from Lower
Manhatten. Hundreds of police and firefighters were on scene as well as
helicopters. I remember thinking afterwards that although they
failed, they would be back. We all knew they were coming back.

I recall feeling safer when they moved a NYPD precinct into the lower
level and always had a smile for the firefighters stationed directly
across the street. ( I was a Vol firefighter in NJ )

The WTC was more like a small town. You recognised people and waved.

I was out of work in Sept 2001 but was eagerly awaiting a call
from any number of firms that I had done contract work for when I turned
on the TV.
Being a Private Pilot I knew instantly we had been attacked. I watched in
horror as my home away from home and many of its inhabitants perished.

I will never forget and will always have the resolve to prosecute those
who aided anyone involved till the end of my days.
momofthreegirls
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sept. 10,2001 I couldn't sleep that night. I kept getting up to check on the kids. We had just moved to New Mexico and I just had this uneasy, unsettled feeling.

Sept. 11, 2001 My husband called me on the way to work to tell me to turn on the t.v. My 6 year old daughter and I watched as the second plane hit the WTC. "That was intentional," I said to my husband. I had a horrible sick, feeling. When the Pentagon was hit I felt almost hysterical. I then had to make the decision of whether or not to put my daughter on the bus to go to school. (Visions of a situation similar to that in Russia flashed through my mind) I took her to school along with many shell shocked parents. Throughout the day I continued to watch the coverage. Crying almost nonstop as I watched.

I remember the coverage throughout the month of September and the realization that many of the people killed were people who were about the same age as my husband and myself with children the same age as ours.
I remember sitting in church the following Sunday watching as my husband broke down and sobbed. He had worked all week and had been unable to grieve whereas I had grieved at home as I watched the coverage.
I remember the silence of the skies (except for the occasional military jet) especially at night with no airplane traffic in the air.
I remember seeing our President choking back tears at a press conference.
I remember that I finally was able to go a few days in October without crying and then receiving an alumnae bulletin from my school informing me that a man that I had personally known in school had died in the WTC, leaving a wife and three small children. I remember that's when the tears began again.

God Bless America.
I love my beautiful country and pray for it daily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: