SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Augusta Free Press: A final end to 'Distortions' controversy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Augusta Free Press: A final end to 'Distortions' controversy Reply with quote

The latest in a series of dueling op-eds occurring in the Augusta Free Press relative to the Kerry "Kurtz Chronicles"
Quote:
A final end to 'Distortions' controversy
Guest View
Doug Regelin
Special to The Augusta Free Press

Alan Schlingenbaum (The Cambodia debate continues, Sept. 9 AFP) is beating a dead-horse that will never ride again.

When I told him it was possible to navigate a Swift Boat into Cambodia, I was referring to the Bernique's Creek incident. Alan knows this. A bridge was built after that incursion, and it was impossible for a Swift Boat to use that tributary in 1969 when John Kerry was there. Alan has taken my answer out of context, which is what he does with all of his writings.

I was in Vietnam for a full year and lived on a Swift Boat that entire year. The island Alan refers to is Phu Quoc Island, and it is part of South Vietnam and where An Thoi is located. It's not 100 miles off shore, but a 100 miles from the Ha Tien and the Cau Mau patrol areas. Alan knew this, but chose to leave this out of his article.

Swift Boat crews did not spend any time on Phu Quoc Island in 1969. We spent our time at a Naval APL (barracks barge) about three miles off the island. Our boats were tied up along side. The APL supplied us with hot meals and occasionally sleeping quarters. Many of us slept on the boats because it was cooler at night. I told Alan about the APL, but he chose to leave this information out of his article.

Between patrolling Ha Tien and the Cau Mau, crews routinely spent a week or so at the APL to decompress. If a boat had major repairs, a crew may have been there longer. Alan seems to think that if you take a little down time between patrol areas, then that's not serving in Vietnam. Its easy to tell Alan has never served in anything except his obsession to get John Kerry into Cambodia. It won't happen, but I do enjoy shooting holes in Alan's efforts.

Nobody patrolled the Bassac River. The entrance was guarded to keep the U.S. military out. Alan knows this. He's just being argumentative. I stated I had been to the Bassac, but I never said I patrolled it. Alan is getting more desperate with his arguments with each of his articles. I'm certain the next thing he will accuse me of is never being in Vietnam at all.

Helmsmen on Swift Boats were almost exclusively enlisted men. Usually radar men or quartermasters. This was because we had the navigational skills required. Alan still seems to think that Swift Boats were like yachts where only officers would take the helm. Alan needs a lot of help in his understanding of the Navy chain of command.

I'm not responsible for what others write about me or if they promote me to an officer. Everything I write always identifies me as an RD3 on the 82 boat in 1969. Alan writes, "My educated guess is that Mr. Regelin has not lifted a finger to tell these writers that they have misinterpreted his word 'drove.' I would be very happy to hear that my guess is incorrect." As usual, Alan is wrong again. In each case where I was artificially given the rank of officer, I sent an additional e-mail to the media in question to correct their error. I like to be correct, and that's why I enjoy Alan's efforts to discredit me.

I have answered all of Alan's questions. I just failed to understand that Alan is totally clueless. He's never been in the service. He's never been on a Swift Boat. He's never been to Vietnam, and it also looks like he can't even read a map.

I feel sorry for Alan. He's a very dedicated and stubborn Kerry supporter. He has argued bravely but foolishly in his effort to get John Kerry into Cambodia. When that didn't work, he has tried to do the same thing to me that the Kerry campaign tried to do to Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. He's called into question my veracity and my service. That didn't work against SBVT, and it won't work against me, either.

Alan needs something he can never have. That's one other person on this planet that will agree with him.

The views expressed by op-ed writers do not necessarily reflect those of management of The Augusta Free Press.

What do you think? Share your thoughts on this story at letters@augustafreepress.com.

(Published 09-13-04/Opinion)

Augusta Free Press

Here's a link to the original op-ed which commenced the exchange...

http://www.augustafreepress.com/stories/storyReader$25169
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: