SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rolling Thunder!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Rolling Thunder! Reply with quote

deleted by Moderator!
redneckvet
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rolling Thunder Reply with quote

Larry,

I know where you are coming from. Read my post of June 5, 2004.

redneckvet wrote:
I returned from Vietnam in the latter part of 1970, put the war behind me, and became part of the vast silent majority. Two events have changed my philosophy. The “Rolling Thunder” motorcycle group and John Kerry.

A local chapter of the “Rolling Thunder” motorcycle group allowed me to ride with them to the “Wall” on Memorial Day 2002. It was my first trip to the wall. I am ashamed to say that it took me 32 years to pay respects to three very good friends whose names are etched in that stone for eternity. It was a very emotional journey but it rekindled a desire to find my friends that I served with. I have made contact with several of my old Vietnam buddies and all are doing well. What I found from these contacts is that we came home and lived decent, productive lives. One became a lawyer, one became a teacher, one became a college professor, one became an accountant, one became a truck driver, one became a postal worker, and one became the governor of PA and now Homeland Security Secretary. During my “FULL” tour of duty, I never saw any of these men commit any type of “crime” or “atrocity” that Sen. Kerry proclaimed happened on a “day to day basis”.

Sen. Kerry has made speeches about the “brotherhood” of the combat soldier. This is true, combat soldiers share a bond that cannot be described, only experienced. This bond is based on a “trust” that is so absolute, that your life depends on it. Sen. Kerry broke that trust with his demonstrations, and lies about his fellow soldiers. Sen. Kerry is not my brother, and he never will be.

In Vietnam, I knew the meaning of fear, but it pales in comparison to the fear that I have now that Sen. Kerry could possibly become the “Commander in Chief” of our armed forces.

I would like to borrow a line from one of Sen. Kerry’s campaign speeches. “We might be older, we might be grayer, but we still know how to fight for our country”. In this election year, thousands of Vietnam veterans will fight his election with the same vigor and professionalism that they portrayed in Vietnam.

Several of my fellow veterans and I are getting together in Reno later this month. It will be the first time we have seen each other in 34 years.
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rolling Thunder! Reply with quote

Larry Martin wrote:
Rolling Thunder! Try to imagine 490, 000 motorcycles of all kinds in one place and for one purpose.

Larry ....

I totally feel your pride in this event. Several Swift Boat Sailors made the trip
specifically to view and be a part of the activity. They showed up with T-shirts
definitely proclaiming that they were NOT part of "Kerry's Band of Brothers"

They were also deeply touched by the outpouring of sentiment by everyone
associated with Rolling Thunder, and felt it was a tremendous counterpoint
to the Democrat's media blitz over the past several months that has been
an insult to most veterans, and especially Swift Boat sailors. Alas, "Swifties"
are too few in number with too little resources to have much voice aganist
the "Hollywood vs History" campaign run by the Kerry "War Hero Machine"

It was emensely gratifying that such officials as Secretary of Veteran Affairs
Anthony Principi was on a motorcycle along with the throng of veterans that
participated in this event. Secretary Principi spoke at the most recent Swift
Boat reunion, and he has a tremendous caring and feeling of need to make
sure that ALL veterans receive excellent benefits. He is a Vietnam Vet also.

How-some-ever.

It is ALSO tremendously sad that Rolling Thunder received such little media
visibility. The only mention I could find was a bottom screen scroll on CNN
that mentioned that "some Veteran bikers" were staging a demonstration
at the White House. The (long overdue) opening of the World War II Memorial
and the other events of Memorial Day relegated this event to "no national
television" coverage and "buried in the back pages" of the print media ...
if at all.

I am begining to believe that as far as the media is concerned, we will have to
resurect the idea of the "invisible Veteran majority" if our voice is to be heard.

Larry Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted by Moderator!
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin note:

Larry...

Let's be clear about something.

Swiftboat Veterans For Truth believes John Kerry is unfit to serve as the Commander-In-Chief of our Armed Forces. We believe that formative premise to be clearly defined and unambiguous. Were it not for his candidacy, this organization would not exist.

This forum was established to support, facilitate and promote both discussion and dissemination of our premise and, to that end, we encourage the vigorous examination of all aspects relating to John Kerry's unfitness for office. We recognize that there may be honest differences of opinion in that regard, and both invite and encourage those who may hold a differing view to engage in a public and civil discourse on these issues.

This forum is NOT a platform from which you may launch, obliquely and indiscriminately into benign topics, distractive or disruptive messages critical of Kerry opposition or non-germane to the focus of this forum.

It is recognized that, on occasion, some comparative discussion is inevitable and may be appropriate but, make no mistake, more latitude will be given, in this regard, to those who are sympathetic to our premise than to those who are not.

With that in mind, your last post is overtly off-topic and, in our opinion, hardly subtle in it's intent. While your support for Kerry is evident, we do welcome your honest advocacy in his behalf. If, however, all that advocacy entails is the sporadic introduction of boilerplate ABB screed (a term about which we're confident you're familiar), then your tenure in this forum will be short-lived.

Kapisch?

Thank you
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: