SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a real topic to discuss, the book the USS Essex, the Birth o

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h3digital
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: a real topic to discuss, the book the USS Essex, the Birth o Reply with quote

a real topic to discuss, the book the USS Essex, the Birth of the US Navy. I'm currently reading now. I saw the film Master and Commander with Russel Crow, I thought it was a great film. What' are other's take on the film and the book? this is a panel without name calling and childish deminor.
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: a real topic to discuss, the book the USS Essex, the Bir Reply with quote

h3digital wrote:
a real topic to discuss, the book the USS Essex, the Birth of the US Navy. I'm currently reading now. I saw the film Master and Commander with Russel Crow, I thought it was a great film. What' are other's take on the film and the book? this is a panel without name calling and childish deminor.

Kerry is a two-face lying piece of rotton leftover fish who is unfit to be around real soldiers, that alone commanding them.

I feel better now.
DevilDon
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(As I stomp and bang my fists against my head) What is deminor? I want my deminor right NOW!!!!!!!!!! Bandit can't have it, he has ALL the deminor!

And oh yes, Kerry is a mealy-mouthed, lying, cheating hunk of garbage (French origination emphasized) who will never, ever be a respectable Commander in Chief. I think he pisses on his hands to disinfect them before he signs away the tools the American warrior needs to keep peace in the world. Batter up.........
Grampa
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the movie Master and Commander yet, but the books they are based on are well worth reading. I am reading them now; some I have read before and am rereading but I haven't read them all.

Patrick O'Brien is the author and he really captures the spirit and the feel of what life must have been like in the British Navy and how society was during the Napoleonic wars of the early 19th century. The ship battles and other actions he describes in his otherwise fictional accounts are taken directly from British Naval Admiralty records and adapted for his characters and stories.

In fact, I will see the movie tonight and let you know how I think it compares to the books.
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Patrick O'Brien writes a good sea story. The problem with the
movie was that "Master and Commander" was his first book and took
place in the Med. "Far Side of the World" was a later book based
roughly on the cruise of the USS Essex (32) David Porter. Porter went
around Cape Horn and ripped into the British whaling fleet around the
Galapagos Islands. He got caught in port in Chile by HMS Phoebe (36)
James Hillyar and was basically shot to doll rags. Seems that Porter had
armed Essex with short barrel caronades which while pretty heavy stuff,
just didn't have the range of Hillyar's regular naval cannon. Porter had
to strike to Hillyar after losing about half his crew. One of the worst
defeats in terms of loss of life that the US Navy had.

Snipe
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is on the LHA USS Essex right now as we speak. He gets into port in Japan in a few day's then gets to come home. Mission Accomplished. He has spent 2 of his 3 years in oversea's. Hopefully this will be his last deployment. His unit arrives back state side on June 30th. Semper Fi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: