SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"nail in the coffin" ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: "nail in the coffin" ? Reply with quote

deleted by Moderator!
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem talked about in the first article has more to do with issues associated with use by mechanized infantry (as opposed to straight leg) than with jamming.
When I was attached mechanized (as an FO) I didn't even carry a 16. I would stash it under a shˇtload of equipment in the track and leave it there for the whole FTX. My weapon was a radio, a map and binocs anyway.

In the note about the jamming weapons, for a 16, a SAW and a ma duece to all jam at the same time; is operator headspace and timing, not weapons problems.
redneckvet
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Nail in the coffin Reply with quote

My experience with the M-16 is a little different that most.

Unlike my fellow FNG's, I was issued a "brand new" M-16 when I came in country. I made the comment to the supply clerk that I was very lucky to receive a new weapon. He informed me that maybe I was not that lucky. The weapon I had been issued was made by "General Motors" not "Colt". He said that they were notorious for mis-firing or jamming when they got wet. Needless to say, this thought was on my mind the first time we were in contact and my weapon was wet. In retrospect, his warning was unfounded. My "GM" M-16 never jammed, or misfired and performed flawlessly my entire tour. In my experience, I still believe the M-16 is an excellent weapon.

I am curious if anyone else has heard of a General Motors M-16?
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the early models were so bad that even after they became great weapons, that stigma haunted them.

However, they ARE high maintainence.
95 bxl
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Nail in the coffin Reply with quote

redneckvet wrote:
My experience with the M-16 is a little different that most.

Unlike my fellow FNG's, I was issued a "brand new" M-16 when I came in country. I made the comment to the supply clerk that I was very lucky to receive a new weapon. He informed me that maybe I was not that lucky. The weapon I had been issued was made by "General Motors" not "Colt". He said that they were notorious for mis-firing or jamming when they got wet. Needless to say, this thought was on my mind the first time we were in contact and my weapon was wet. In retrospect, his warning was unfounded. My "GM" M-16 never jammed, or misfired and performed flawlessly my entire tour. In my experience, I still believe the M-16 is an excellent weapon.

I am curious if anyone else has heard of a General Motors M-16?

Yup. When I was in Recon, 1/4 Inf, my 16 was built by GM's automatic transmission division.... no joke.

I think it said "GM Hydramatic Division" in Saginaw (Home of the 4 spd "Rock Crusher" transmission that came with cars like the early Z28s, Firebirds, Chevelles and GTOs and the like) Michigan or something along those lines.
redhawk34
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Carbine for a while built during WWII by Rockola Corp, the jukebox Mfg.
My four Fifties were made by; Savage Arms, Kelsey Hayes Wheel Div of GM, Frigidaire, and AC Spark Plug!

The fundamental problem with the M-16 was its lack of primary extraction. As you open the bolt of a bolt action rifle, before pulling back, you can see that there is a slow but powerful camming action for a short distance, which "starts" the case out of the chamber. The M-1 and M-14 also had this. Not the 16.
To compound the problem, the early 16s did not have a chrome plated chamber, so it corroded, particularly as there were few cleaning kits available. Finally, high-ash powder was substituted for the low-ash specified by Gene Stoner, the designer.
Cases would stick in a corroded, fouled chamber, and the extraction stroke could actually yank the base right off the case.
Once the chamber was chromed, the correct powder used, and the troops were educated about proper cleaning, the weapon became acceptably reliable. While I don't think it ever became as trusted as its predecessors, its advantage in weight, auto fire, and increased ammo load were such that I never heard a Grunt seriously suggest going back to the 14.
BTW, the early 16 had another problem, its open-front flash supressor. This could be slid over the wire binding of a C-ration box, and the weapon twisted to break the wire. This did the accuracy no good at all.
Redhawk
xsquid
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nakona wrote:
I think the early models were so bad that even after they became great weapons, that stigma haunted them.

However, they ARE high maintainence.

I grew up in the country shooting since a small child and to me the m-16 was one of the worse weapons that I ever fired. Granted I did my training on the m-16 and m-60 with the amphibious seabees so I can't speak of any firing during battle conditions, but that's just my humble opinion. I bought an AK (that I have had for many years) instead of the ar-15 which I could have gone with and to me it's a much better weapon. I know I will probably get hammered for this, but it's more accurate, better built (the m-16 seemed cheap made and loose everywhere), doesn't get fouled with dirt as easily, and if I were to get something different it would probably be a galil based on the ak action.

I'm still a flag wavin, commie cursing, liberal lashing SOB, but I'm sorry....I just don't like the m-16. Never have.

War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all other USAF Security Police K9's carried the GAU-5A. We had no problems with it, and it worked perfectly everytime I had occasion to use it. And you know that the K9's worked in some lousy weather conditions!

Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xsquid -

The modern version; the "A2" model, is actually a pretty sweet weapon.

It's still fairly high maintainence, but any weapon where it's easy to hit man sized targets at 300 meters with iron sights can't be all bad. In fact, I have personally hit targets at 800 meters with those sights, using 3-round burst. (Which if often 4-6 round bursts, but that's another story.
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: XM16E1 Reply with quote

We used XM16E1's. If you are familiar if military designations you will recognize that was an "early" model of the current weapon. We did have a few problems initially the most common being the magazine jamming when loaded with 19 or 20 rounds. (the nose of the round would catch on the front lip of the magazine) Other than that I had one failure to extract similiar to what is mentioned above. Yes it needed cleaning, but I was taught that was true of any infantry weapon and a dirty weapons Embarassed was grounds for discipline!
I loved it and the fact that we could and did carry a double basic load (ie 400 rounds) saved my butt at least once and arguably more.
redhawk34
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wardog;
"And you know that the K9's worked in some lousy weather conditions! "
Yup, and I never knew a Dog to jam.
Redhawk
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yup, and I never knew a Dog to jam.

Redhawk, ain't that the truth! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gas tube on the 16 would stop up. No way to clean it . Makes it single shot w/manual ejection. Very slow! Mad

My 12 gauge Savage never jammed. Very Happy
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carried a Grease Gun in Vietnam. Each boat I was on had and inventory of 5 M-16s but, as Boat Captain I had a choice of personal weapons when I checked in at the Annapolis Hotel in Saigon (Cholon). I chose a 1911A1 .45 acp and M3A1 Grease Gun with 30 Round Magazine which was, of course, also in .45 acp. There are several neat things about the Grease that many don’t know. The gun had a built-in oiler in the base of the grip. After turning the gun over, the knob seen in the illustration is unscrewed revealing an oil reservoir and an oil applicator. The wire stock was a masterpiece of American ingenuity. It was a wrench for removing the barrel, the barrel had two grooves machined into it into which the wire stock was placed and then turned to loosen the barrel. One of the stock rods was threaded at the forward end to take a bore brush and drilled out to take a cleaning patch, and finally, there was a small "L" shaped piece of steel welded to the butt of the stock that functioned as a magazine loader. Trying to thumb load 30 rounds into the mag was a chore. This twenty-eight dollar or so piece of stamped, welded, and machined metal was a fine boat gun and also served well when traveling ashore.

The M-16A1 was a fine weapon especially on the boats where keeping it clean was less of a problem, but for moving around on boats during search and seizure missions the Grease was a far superior tool. WW1 and WW2 technology was just fine for me in personal weapons.
Laughing
xsquid
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nakona wrote:
xsquid -

The modern version; the "A2" model, is actually a pretty sweet weapon.

It's still fairly high maintainence, but any weapon where it's easy to hit man sized targets at 300 meters with iron sights can't be all bad. In fact, I have personally hit targets at 800 meters with those sights, using 3-round burst. (Which if often 4-6 round bursts, but that's another story.

It could be Nakona, I would like to try one. I was just agrivated with the ones we had because they were so far off that you had to adjust the windage, for example, all the way to one side and still had to use allow for more in your shot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: