SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ABC vs. CBS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: ABC vs. CBS Reply with quote

ABC network news tonight had three paid CBS document experts on camera. One said he could not authenticate copies of Bush Guard docs and never claimed to, the other two said they expressed concerns over signature and typing authenticity to CBS before the 60 minutes broadcast, but they were ignored! I wonder how Dan is going to spin this? He has lost all credibility. If he doesn't recant soon, it will be too late, and Dan and CBS News will be ruined....Don't they remember NIXON?
buffman
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be so nice for the other MSMs to start a feeding frenzy off this to take a share of CBS' audience.
John Gault
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the new spin(ABC) is that it's not that important the documents are fake, his secretary say's that the info was "sort of " correct.

Once again were back to "It's not if there is any evidence, it's the seriousness of the charges".

So ABC will give CBS a couple of lashes but still give them an out.
The spread of evil is the symptom of a vacuum. Whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles. _ Ayn Rand
syber
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's over for CBS. Watch for the firestorm tomorrow.
1AD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Spin Reply with quote

There is still one thing very seriously wrong with the spin ABC may try to put on it. The same thing that is wrong with the secretary's statement.
What? It would have been okay if Dan had said look, these memos have been re-typed so as to disguise their origin because by the font and perhaps other things (wording, syntax) you could tell where and who they really came from. Remember some were not signed.

So this begs the question? Why didn't Dan say that? Are the memos verbatim from another memo or memos? If they exist do the other documents say the EXACT same thing? Same words, verbiage, etc?

Is the real author still around? And we could then locate him/her and ask questions? I am not saying the author is telling the truth!

Or is the wording different enough so that there is an entirely different connotation on the "original" memos? Did the forger, to use a British phras "Sex up" the forgeries?

Something here that doesn't quite fit! And if it doesn't fit, you must
throw the whole thing in the trash.
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it goes like this. Burkett forges the memos, he tells Mapes about them and she flis down and grabs them. She takes a look at the memos and they have EVERYTHING that CBS ever dreamed of in a good scoop so she immediately begins a story about it.

This story gets hotter and hotter and with the swiftboat controversy, Vietnam service seems to make this story the perfect equalizer to even up a presidential race. there is one problem. The experts brought in think these doucments are a fake and wont vouch for them. so CBS runs them through a copier a couple times til they are smudged and worn looking. voila authentic looking evidence!

What their undoing was is they handed out the files to the press and on the net for people to look at for themselves.
OOPS. i guess CBS got a little too cocky there and it backfired big time.
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABC this morning reports that CBS' response is that the three document experts were"peripheral" and they had other experts looking at the memos. They don't even know what to say any more. Now that the Secretary has stated the memos are fake, Dan Raher's goose is cooked. If he doesn't do a Mea Culpa on tonite's broadcast, he's going to be laughed out of town. This is not going to go away. "It appears we were mislead by sources we had every reason to believe were rock solid" Dan will have to say. "We can't reveal who those sources were because we have to protect them with journalistic confidentiality and because we are dirty lowdown skunks. Sorry"
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this goes above Burkett.

The link for this is on Drudge:

Quote:
CBS News' Bob Schieffer said Tuesday he hopes the network does more reporting to definitively prove the authenticity of memos 60 Minutes II received about President Bush's service in the Air National Guard.

"I think we have to find some way to show our viewers they are not forgeries,'' Schieffer, CBS' chief Washington correspondent and host of the network's "Face the Nation,'' said at a news conference in Sioux City. "I don't know how we're going to do that without violating the confidentiality of sources.''

Quote:
Though Schieffer discounted suggestions that Rather received fraudulent documents, he acknowledged the source could have been a Bush opponent.

By acknowledging the source could have been a Bush opponent he's pretty much stating that it was someone in the DNC that they considered a trusted source. That makes the most sense really when you think about it.
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Spin Reply with quote

1AD wrote:
There is still one thing very seriously wrong with the spin ABC may try to put on it. The same thing that is wrong with the secretary's statement.
What? It would have been okay if Dan had said look, these memos have been re-typed so as to disguise their origin because by the font and perhaps other things (wording, syntax) you could tell where and who they really came from. Remember some were not signed.

So this begs the question? Why didn't Dan say that? Are the memos verbatim from another memo or memos? If they exist do the other documents say the EXACT same thing? Same words, verbiage, etc?

Is the real author still around? And we could then locate him/her and ask questions? I am not saying the author is telling the truth!

Or is the wording different enough so that there is an entirely different connotation on the "original" memos? Did the forger, to use a British phras "Sex up" the forgeries?

Rather can't do that though. The documents put up on their web page were "run through the grinder" i.e. run through a copier, maybe a fax, many times to "age" them. If one were simply retyping for legibility or to disguise sources, then that would be totally unecessary. Frankly, it would be stupid and deceptive, which is precisely what these documents are.

Besides, how would showing the original documents reveal the source? They could black out anything pertinent to said source, and give the reason, but they did not.

Bottom line, the mix of modern and old technologies, the attempted "aging" of the documents, and the refusal to show the originals, if they even exist, clearly demonstrates that the CBS documents are fakes, and that Dan Rather is a fraud. His stubborn refusal to even investigate the forgery charges simply puts another nail in the story's coffin.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the documents were retyped for clarity, they wouldn't have signatures on them!
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spin Reply with quote

1AD wrote:

Are you predicting CBS will make this propaganda move today? Hope you aren't right.
WilliamShipley
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You GottaBeKidding wrote:
If the documents were retyped for clarity, they wouldn't have signatures on them!

And they wouldn't have 'authenticated' the documents by only looking at the signatures.
Armybrat/Armymom
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me (only my opinion) that there has been a deliberate intent to deceive. I wish I knew lawyerese. Therefore I can not trust anything that CBS puts out as news.

CBS is no longer on my TV remote and I have also removed their local online tv station website from my computer favorites. They have a really good local weather website in my area. I'm giving it all up.
1AD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Forgery Reply with quote

Allow me to clear up what I was trying to say. My thoughts got ahead of my typing. Dan originally said the documents and contents are real/correct/verbatim.

If the forger had been smart he would have produced hand-written memos and the typed memo from Killian. The Killian signed document was to throw us off and follow a false lead. “Ah, if the documents are all together then the un-signed documents are from Killian as well.” We didn’t fall for this. We discovered the memos were forged.

So we now know the documents are forgeries so that leaves the contents. If the handwritten originals had been released we could determine who wrote them because of the verbiage, a/o syntax a/o handwriting. So if the forger said I will re-type for legibility that would have been better for this person and Dan could have stated this. Dan has never said I have hand-written documents that were re-typed for legibility. This is done in legal proceedings all the time. [I should have used this word and not “clarify.”] But forger was dumb. They tried to pass off “original” typewritten documents as all coming from Killian. Remember the false scent.

Bottom line. There are no handwritten documents. All documents from forger are typed. So content is also false and of course “Sexed up.”
debinNC
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="buffman"]Would be so nice for the other MSMs to start a feeding frenzy off this to take a share of CBS' audience.[/q

USA Today may be the key to the dam breaking: http://daily.nysun.com/Repository/getmailfiles.asp?Style=OliveXLib:ArticleToMail&Type=text/html&Path=NYS/2004/09/15&ID=Ar00101
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: