SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why CBS won't come clean
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BB Stacker
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Why CBS won't come clean Reply with quote

Allow me to speculate. CBS is stonewalling past all ryme and reason. Their reputation is trashed to a degree unimaginal just a week ago. Why? Why are they doing it? Here's my take.

If they acknowledge they were duped, willingly or otherwise, then the next question is by whom? If the documents are forgeries, CBS has no obligation to protect their source. But if the source is someone from the Democrat Party or the Kerry Campaign, the results would be devestating. Not just to Kerry's run for President but to Senate and Congressional races across the country, as they could all get painted with the same brush. A Republican juggarnaut could result.

Think about it. What would happen if the Republicans got a super majority in the Senate. The Democrat filabuster would be broken. They could no longer stonewall Bush's Judicial nominations. The Supreme Court, which will need several new members in the next four years, will be shifted out of left wing hands for decades. Intollerable to liberals who are trying to recreate this country through the court system. How many other programs would the Republicans be able to push through that would drive the libs crazy.

This has to be a nightmare scenario for liberals everywhere. But if CBS can hold out, even though it will cost them dearly, that scenario may yet be avoided. After the election the Dems and their MSM brothers will do all in their power to help CBS rehabilitate their image and all of them pretend it never happened or that it was just another right-wing attack.

Last edited by BB Stacker on Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord BB,

You make and excellent point that I had only begun to toy with in my mind.

This could be worse than all of what you just said too if it were to go super majority one way or the other. There could be some very angry people that might get stupid if they protested.

Very thought provoking in several ways.
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking of another reason CBS is holding out and hopefully I'm just being paranoid. If it were true - it would be truly evil....Think about this....

1. The memos are real and they exist - locked in a safe somewhere as the Colonel's secretary implied today

2. The copies shown around are fake and were done in MS Word but contain the exact wording of the real memos locked in the safe.

3. Now that CBS and the Kerry camp have everyone's attention and everyone is paying attention...

4. The 'source' comes forward produces the authentic original memos and says they were retyped prior to turning them over to CBS - or dictated over the phone - or something to explain why the Word versions are out there

5. The real memos are now authenticated by the experts

Now of course I didn't think the memos meant much when they were first released (fake or not) - but for many people, if a scenario like this played out it would be a shocking event and the dems would cry 'We told you so....". You have to admit - despite being obvious forgeries - these things have been talked about over and over (and over) again - usually being introduced with words to the effect of "the controversy over George Bush's military service continues to rage with further debate on whether the 60 minutes memos are authentic or not...." They've (the MSM) moved beyond whether the content of the memos matters to whether the memos are real...implying that if they are - it's a bad thing.

They could pull this off even with a second set of forged documents that look more authentic. Guess at the end of the day - CBS just has no more credibility and they have gone over the edge.

Well - I guess we couldn'ty expect Kerry to sit back and do nothing while a light was shown on his dishonorable service.

http://tonyk.smugmug.com/photos/1822816-L-1.jpg
USN 1983-1992
Skywatch
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if someone produced something that could be better argued as authentic, the damage done to its credibility is done. It could easily be argued that it was just a better forgery from a more experienced forger.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

No, that won't fly. Even if the "originals" were produced, the well has been poisoned by the forgeries. You see, you just CAN'T photocopy someone's signature onto a military document you purport to be "authentic". That's just plain illegal, regardless of whatever "good intentions" you have.

Secondly, they have "dirty hands". Because they used the forged documents in the FIRST place, instead of alleged originals, that casts significant doubt on the "original" documents being anything more than "better forgeries".

Thirdly, these are "private" memos, and NOT official documents. There is NO official record of any of them, nor any other untainted source for the documents. They have no crediblity.

Fourth, the format and content has fatal flaws that can NOT be justified, even in an "original" word-for-word document. It's just not possible.

No, CBS and Rather are doomed. Hoist by their own petard.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92

Last edited by cipher on Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interview with the Secretary tonight was heavily coached with lots of edits. She answers a main question and as she says a second sentence Rather comes on. Talking over it.

There are other editing room snips too. Such as cutting away from her face when it looks like she is just BSing. I think they should turn over the raw tapes to other networks.

Regardless...the documents are frauds. The question now is not if there are documents that might be like them.

The questions are who created the Fake documents.?
What was their agenda?
Why did CBS agree to their agenda?
Why is CBS ignoring all the facts about the documents.

Somebody created these documents, and put them out in a national election. Dan Rather are willing participants to this fraud.

For now CBS is attempting to cover it up more...it won't work.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The questions are who created the Fake documents.?

A pimple-faced kid with a PC, probably. Certainly no one with any serious history of military service or forgery.

Quote:
What was their agenda?

The overthrow of the US government.

Quote:
Why did CBS agree to their agenda?

Coups d'etat make for good headlines. Lots of glory for all concerned.

Quote:
Why is CBS ignoring all the facts about the documents.

They are idiots and in some serious denial. Oh, yeah. And there is that nasty harbinger of charges of forgery and treason.
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cipher wrote:
Tony,

No, that won't fly. Even if the "originals" were produced, the well has been poisoned by the forgeries. You see, you just CAN'T photocopy someone's signature onto a military document you purport to be "authentic". That's just plain illegal, regardless of whatever "good intentions" you have.

The signature is a good point - although I thought there were questions about the signature on the Word version. I don't diagree with any of your points - I'm just concerned that the media keeps hashing over the issue and this helps Kerry and hurts Bush since it:

-- Takes the focus off the real issues with John Kerry's character

-- Continues to create a question for some about GWB's service (not for those who think or have some common sense - but for many who don't think and will vote anyway)

-- Creates in the minds of some - an equivalence between the certified statements from Kerry's fellow Swift Boat Veterans and the obviously forged documents featured by CBS.

Based on the statement CBS released today - I think they are going to stay in this for at least a few more days and seem to want to insist that the story is legit. This is big media and like it or not - they have the power to influence voters. It is almost criminal.

USN 1983-1992
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about taking the focus of Kerry's character, the swiftys are launching a new ad on Thursday or Friday and guess who the star is, Mr. Kerry himself. Tittled "Dazed and Confused" what could it be about? Maybe thay have some video of Kerry burning one. Look he inhaled, He He.
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides I have this feeling George is going to make his service a totally moot point in the next couple days:

Quote:
In a related development, White House press secretary Scott McClellan hinted that more documents regarding Bush's National Guard service may soon be released. Asked whether officials in the White House have seen unreleased documents, McClellan called that "a very real possibility." Other officials with knowledge of the situation said more documents had indeed been uncovered and would be released in the coming days.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24635-2004Sep15.html
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

The American public is more than capable of multitasking. They can handle an attack on Kerry's character, a defense of Bush's character, and a demolition of Rather's character, all at the same time. And with the linkages set up to each and all, it makes it all quite easy to follow.

Think of a campaign as a battle plan. You do NOT win battles against an entrenched enemy with a frontal assault. Bad plan.

You win by using varied and mobile attacks at the exposed flanks. You don't go straight into the guns of the Maginot Line, you go *around* them. Another French idea that looked good on paper, but failed the test of combat.

The blogosphere has a LOT of pajama people. MANY more than there are reporters to cover what they UNCOVER.

Even as we speak, there are others who are picking apart Official Navy records of Kerry's actions that haven't seen the light of day in 30 years. Others are dissecting content of the memos. More are writing congressmen, news organizations, networks, cable providers, and sponsors.

This isn't the Battle of Troy. It's not Gettysburg. It's not Iwo Jima.

It's Shock and Awe, journalistic warfare of the 21st century.

I'm not Ted Koppel. And this is Nitie Line.
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cipher - I hope you are correct in your assessment of the American people and their ability to see the truth. Perhaps I am too pessimistic, but I always think of a woman I know well (same age and demographic as me - i.e. late 30s, doing okay on the economic front), who votes, but doesn't really follow things closely. Awhile back, she told me, although she voted for Bush last time, she may vote for Kerry this time. When I questioned her as to why - her rationale was very telling.

She said - "I don't really know - I just like him better - I think we need a change". I could have lost my lunch right there on the spot. I tried to convince her she didn't really know what John Kerry was all about - but she wasn't buying it. I chalked her up to someone who gets too much news from her TV and forgot how to think many years ago but will cast a vote none the less. All very scary to think about if this plays out across society in a large way.

This is why this CBS baloney is so worrisome - many will know the truth - but many won't take the time or have the attention span and those folks will be influenced in a bad way by all this. Maybe there really are two Americas - the one that thinks and the one that doesn't - which makes me think of one of my neighbors who has a bumper sticker on his SUV that says - "I think, therefore I vote Republican"

USN 1983-1992
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! It could all be part of a vast Left Wing conspiracy!!!
rekcutt
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple of comments,

Tony, if Dan had the real memos, or if Burkett had the real memos, they would have been displayed last week.

BB, good thoughts, while I'd love to see the dems fillibuster killed like a vampire, I see no way the repubs can get 60 seats in the Senate. The absolute best I can see is 56 or 57 repubs (that would be a gain of 5 or 6 seats) then trying to pull some votes from moderate dems. But the problem I see then is the NE repubs like Snow, Collins, McCain and the magic bullet man, using their leverage to cause problems.

I do like your thoughts tho, but Rather (like O'really!!! on Fox) has an ego that will never permit him to say he was wrong. He reminds me of his benefactor LBJ.

rek
BB Stacker
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rekcutt wrote:

BB, good thoughts, while I'd love to see the dems fillibuster killed like a vampire, I see no way the repubs can get 60 seats in the Senate. The absolute best I can see is 56 or 57 repubs (that would be a gain of 5 or 6 seats) then trying to pull some votes from moderate dems. But the problem I see then is the NE repubs like Snow, Collins, McCain and the magic bullet man, using their leverage to cause problems.

rek

Are you saying you see 56 or 57 Republican seats if there is no link to the Dems in memogate or if there is found to be a link.

If there is a provable link, there could be a voter mutiny. Democrat candidates across the country would be forced to either condemn the actions of their own party, risking alienation within the party, or support them and risk the wrath of their constituents for being a party to a very stupid debacle.

If a link is found and proven, the Dems could well be in deep trouble. A super majority could be in reach, depending on how it shakes out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: