SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry owns an assault rifle????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Kerry owns an assault rifle???? Reply with quote

I was listening to a local talk radio show and a caller mentioned an article in Outdoor Life in which Kerry says he owns a Chinese assault rifle! The caller indicated that this is likely an illegal fully-automatic weapon and it's also probably illegal because it is imported. (I cannot vouch for this, I'm just reporting what I heard, but I'll bet there are people here who know the rules."

Here's the link to the page online that has the quote:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/news/article/0,19912,696240-4,00.html

Quote:
Kerry: My favorite gun is the M-16 that saved my life and that of my crew in Vietnam. I don’t own one of those now, but one of my reminders of my service is a Communist Chinese assault rifle.
phrein
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't believe the whole quote. I doubt that he even owns a rifle.
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry owns a Chinese assualt rifle? Ho hum. I have a M1 Garand
hanging on my wall that goes into 1 minute of angle whenever I take
the time to really concentrate.
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the Mass gun laws and if he jumped through all the hoops he could legally own a full auto AK-47.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... but NOT if he brought it back with him from VietNam as a war souvenir.
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Kerry Brought back an Chicom AK, it would be full automatic. The laws governing ownership of those here in Massachusetts are pretty stringent.
It is possible to own Automatic Weapons, you just have to go through a more stringemt background check and pay a lot more for the License.
A local Range has an Automatic Weapons Day each year, .50 Cals, M-60s etc... They had a Quad .50 on a Half Track this year from what I heard (missed it this year)
More importantly if this were true, is another example of his Hypocracy regarding the Gun Laws in this Nation.
azpatriot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rb325th wrote:
If Kerry Brought back an Chicom AK, it would be full automatic. The laws governing ownership of those here in Massachusetts are pretty stringent.
It is possible to own Automatic Weapons, you just have to go through a more stringemt background check and pay a lot more for the License.
A local Range has an Automatic Weapons Day each year, .50 Cals, M-60s etc... They had a Quad .50 on a Half Track this year from what I heard (missed it this year)
More importantly if this were true, is another example of his Hypocracy regarding the Gun Laws in this Nation.

We have a similar happening out here, Dillon Precision puts them on. It’s called Machinegun Madness, and yes the license and the tax stamps are expensive, let alone the cost of the weapons themselves.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He probably has an SKS, which people often call an assault rifle, even when it isn't. If Kerry has a full-up rock n' roll AK-47 and no tax stamp and Class III license, he's in a heap o' trouble.

But, with his money, what's 500 bucks for a stamp and having someone fill out the paperwork for him each May for him to sign?

Of course, he would have had to register the receiver prior to 1985, otherwise he's in VERY big trouble, regardless.

And it WASN'T illegal to import machineguns PRIOR to May 1985, as long as all the paperwork was done. Which begs the question.

I wonder if an FOA to the BATF would pop out that Class III license?
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cipher wrote:
And it WASN'T illegal to import machineguns PRIOR to May 1985, as long as all the paperwork was done.

It would have been ILLEGAL (and against military regulations) for him to have brought it back to the US from VietNam.
wally626
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He probably doesn't own it just someone in his family does Very Happy
azpatriot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cipher wrote:
He probably has an SKS, which people often call an assault rifle, even when it isn't. If Kerry has a full-up rock n' roll AK-47 and no tax stamp and Class III license, he's in a heap o' trouble.

But, with his money, what's 500 bucks for a stamp and having someone fill out the paperwork for him each May for him to sign?

Of course, he would have had to register the receiver prior to 1985, otherwise he's in VERY big trouble, regardless.

And it WASN'T illegal to import machineguns PRIOR to May 1985, as long as all the paperwork was done. Which begs the question.

I wonder if an FOA to the BATF would pop out that Class III license?

cipher

What a great idea Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: