SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Past is Prologue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hueygunner
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: The Past is Prologue Reply with quote

Swift Boat To Dirty Politics

WASHINGTON, August 23, 2004

But I find the whole thing insulting to the rest of us, just as I found it insulting when some Democrats ... tried to steer that campaign away from real issues to focus instead on George Bush's attendance record ...

Well, here we go again.

Just when we needed a campaign about serious issues -- and for a minute there, it looked as if we might get one -- along comes the Swift Boat crowd and their charges that John Kerry didn't deserve the medals he won for valor under fire in Vietnam.

Never mind that the accusers can't quite seem to get their stories straight; negative television commercials are powerful things and the polls suggest the allegations have caused Kerry's support among veterans to slip.

So now Kerry is regrouping to counterattack. He's rolling out his retired military people to argue with the Bush military brigade or, as I understand it, Bush supporters who have no connection to the Bush campaign.

You can make the argument that since Kerry chose to flaunt record his military record, that record is fair game.

But I find the whole thing insulting to the rest of us, just as I found it insulting when some Democrats who, as I understand it, support Kerry but have no connection to the Kerry campaign tried to steer that campaign away from real issues to focus instead on George Bush's attendance record during his long-ago days in the National Guard.

Remember this: George Bush spent enough time in the National Guard to learn to fly a jet plane. And Kerry volunteered to fight in a shooting war. Can't we just let it go at that and get on to talking about something that matters?

We're a country at war, and our military is stretched thin. And we need to know how these two men propose to deal with that -- not who did what in Vietnam. We know how that came out.

By Bob Schieffer
İMMIV, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/16/opinion/schieffer/main636333.shtml
eliptak
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: The "real" issues Reply with quote

This is the crap that we hear every day from too many of the talking heads. It is so obvious almost none are Vets, expecially Viet Nam vets/

John F'n Kerry IS THE ISSUE. His behavior after he came back from Viet Nam, and his almost 20 year record in the senate shows he is, and always has been anti-military.

Character Counts - and John Kerry is found lacking.
1966-1967
firefly
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he throws his medals away in the 70's - NOW he is proud of them ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: