SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conduct in Combat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Kerry - VVAW Leadership & "Wintersoldier"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Conduct in Combat? Reply with quote

There's the 1974 booklet on the web, already. But were any other booklets or the like, or training, given to those in OCS specifically which forbade publicly giving aid and comfort to the enemy.
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevry - Don't know if this helps or not. I have a copy of a pamphlet (DoD GEN-11, DA Pam 360-512, NAVPers 92483A, AFP 34-10-10) Code of the U.S. Fighting Man. It was issued 23 Dec 1964. I can't recall when I was given it. The pamphlet deals with the Code of Conduct.

A para from the introduction:

"Your obligations as a member of the Armed Forces of your country are traditional. You would have these obligations - to your country, your Service and unit, and your fellow servicemen - even if the Code of Conduct had never been expressed as a document. The Code of Conduct applies to all U.S. military personnel at all times. It is just as applicable during peacetime or under cold war conditons as it is during a declared war."

Article Six of the Code of Conduct is important:

"I will never forget that I am an American fighting man, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America."

If you would like any other citations from this pamphlet, let me know. Hope this helps.
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional to my last posting:

Article I - Code of Conduct

"I am an American fighting man. I serve in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense."

Under that, with the entire para indented, it goes on:

"A member of the Armed Forces is always a fighting man. As such, it is his duty to oppose the enemies of the United States regardless of the circumstances in which he may find himself, whether in active participation in combat, or as a prisoner of war."

I think that "...it is his duty to oppose the enemies of the United States regardless of the circumstance in which he may find himself. . ." to be key in answering your question. I'll keep looking.
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevry - Looked through all the stuff I have ratholed; no luck. I checked my training records, but didn't find anything recorded that would help you. It seems to me I had training on the UCMJ at some point, and I think there may be an article there that might apply. There are some JAG types on the discussion forum, maybe one of them could help out. Good luck!
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tacan70UDN wrote:
Sevry - Looked through all the stuff I have ratholed; no luck.

Kerry went through OCS. There must be something in writing, in those courses, in training, where he was specifically told not to give aid and comfort to the enemy, precisely in the way he did. I can't believe the Navy would simply omit something so obvious.

You may be right about the UCMJ, however. And that is online, I think, at least the current version. I'll see what's there.
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevry - If the UCMJ doesn't have anything, you might want to try contacting the following, who might be able to help you:
1.) Nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. The recruiters are pretty sharp and can probably point you in the right direction.
2.) Nearest ROTC unit at a college.
3.) If you're near a base, the JAG office.
Good luck in your search.
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tacan70UDN wrote:
Sevry - If the UCMJ doesn't have anything, you might want to try contacting the following, who might be able to help you:

I haven't yet had the chance to look. But there MUST be something at the very least in the UCMJ, since I think I've read people posting even here who say Kerry violated the UCMJ. Maybe they don't actually know which provision?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Kerry - VVAW Leadership & "Wintersoldier" All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: