SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Time Voter, my religion forbid serving country/voting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Senate Races. We need to clean all the crud out of the Senate also.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people always forget the judges. we can have good people at the top and have one ding bat judge screw everything up.
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELCOME! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

If there is any way we can help you just let us know. I am so proud of you. Razz And I LOVE your signature:

KERRY'S ECONOMIC PLAN
MARRY WEALTH
SUE THE RICH

Laughing Laughing Laughing
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I was a little reluctant to post this thread, but it has been good. I've heard from other religious people and from a former contientious objector , and from someone who changed their voting party. I have truly enjoyed all the comments and am grateful for the kind words. Thank u all for sharing your stories with all of us. So many of us have come here, and by so many different routes. But we have one common goal, to help prevent the election of a tratior to the highest office of our land and expose him for the person he is.

I feel terribly bad about the men who served in Vietnam. These are the men of my generation. So many gave their life andthe ones that survived were treated so badly by Americans when they returned . This is an issue that will not end until it has been set straight. I totally understand the passion of these men.
btw, bystnader, did u get my Pm?
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't we elect the delegates - the ones that make up the electorial vote? That's the vote that actually counts... Choose them wisely.
MJB
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time Voter, my religion forbid serving country/vot Reply with quote

wednesdaychild wrote:
I have never voted b/c i was raised in a religion and they forbid u to enter the military or vote.

I hope u guys can "tolerate" me, i'm new to the political process, but im catching on quick. Very Happy
weds

Welcome to the Board! I'm so pleased to hear that you'll be exercising your precious right to vote this year!! I commend you for taking the time to think things through and make up your own mind.

You know...I was in a local mall yesterday, and saw a man and a woman walking along - and she was covered head to toe in a brown burka, head covered, face covered...only her eyes were exposed. He was in very eastern-looking attire also.

I served in the Air Force - I defended a person's right to exercise their freedom of religion and freedom of expression...

And here in the Twin Cities, we are seeing more and more diversity in the local community, which I think is a good thing. I'm used to seeing Somali women in their flowing robes, and other Islamic expressions of fatih.

But, I have to say I found what I saw yesterday highly disturbing. Maybe because they were in a shopping mall and seemed highly out of place. Maybe it was his attire. Maybe it was all this posting and reading I've done this political season.

I found myself just irritated as heck about her. I saw it a total symbol of oppression and male domination - and lack of control. Does he let her vote? Could she decide to drop that garmet if she wanted to? Is she really freely choosing that symbol of (to me) oppression? How ifree is she to educate herself and make up her own mind?

Sorry to rant! Thank you again for your vote Smile
shooter
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELCOME ABOARD !!! It matters not from whence you came because now you've seen the light !!!

Question: After GW is re-elected, won't you have to change your name?? ie: Wednesdays child is full of woe.... Just a thought....

For those that fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know !!

Harley Davidson - If you have to ask, you don't understand !

Gun Control = Double tap - center mass
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Question: After GW is re-elected, won't you have to change your name?? ie: Wednesdays child is full of woe.... Just a thought....

I use Wednesday on most of the net, but apparently it was "taken" and couldn't get use it here.
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all of those who are anti-war remember

War defeated Nazi Germany and stopped the genocide of the Jews (who under the Christian religion are God's chosen people)

War defeated Slavery in the United States

War defeated British colonialism in the US and gave birth to the greatest nation on the face of the earth -- an nation that credited GOD in its formation.

No war is good, war is unfortunate and sadly the cause for loss of innocent human life --- but good things have come from war ---- God can use all things for good --- including war. Also --- the 10 commandments actually say one should not murder --- murder and taking life are not the same thing.

Welcome aboard to the new members --- remember give onto God what is God's and Caesar what is Caesar's. One participate in the government on earth while in the flesh and still honor God.
Armybrat/Armymom
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out and about today and even my doctor's office was set up to register people to vote. Several other places were also helping people get registered and heaven help us if these people vote. Most of them are new voters for Kerry Unless something really big happens my brother and sister-in-law are going to vote for Kerry. Nothing we say makes a difference. They fell for Kerry's charisma, thinks he walks on water and just won't see the lies. Ignorance is bliss. Absolutely true in this case.
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is done. Very Happy Today, I sent in my mail in ballot. I just wish I was in a swing state. My hubby will be voting next wek early voting. 2 new votes, and they are for GW Bush. Just wish i was in a state where my vote could possibly be more of a deciding factor. We are the new unexpected votes. They were not counting on us.
It feel so good.
Proud to be an American
MJB
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great post from VodkaPundit on the issue of trust in the election. Read it, share it, let it inform your voting at all levels -

http://vodkapundit.com/

Look for the post called "It's How You Play the Game"
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just seemed appropriate here.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse." -- John Stuart Mill
twicearound
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and to all who have found their way, I first voted for Reagan and what a blessing. Here is something that says for most all of us if we admit the truth. We are all blind at one time or another.

And I will bring the blind by a way they know not; I will lead them in paths thay they have not known, I will make darkness into light before them and make uneven places into a plain. These things I have determined to do for them: and I will not leave them forsaken.

I was once into some very bad things and didn't care about my country, I was blind and now I see and feel it is a honor to join with all of you in this fight.
brotherofvietvet
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Welcome aboard Reply with quote

Quote:
Sadly, I look back and regret that I wasted the opportunity I had to serve my country. I am trying in my own small way to offset the stupidity of my youth by helping out here in any way that I can, if nothing else, than by serving as an example to others of what not to do. We only get one life and the choices we regret will always be with us, so live it wisely.

I am touched by the Hammer2's statement I think there is alot of us here that can identify with his feelings. I am also touched by wednesdaychild's trust to reach out to those of his mindset dispite his hesitnancy.

I too switched my political leanings and voted for Reagan in 1980 and have concluded that it was one of the best thing that ever happened to me. I rejected the "liberal mindset disease" and concluded ala George Kastanza "everthing I had previously done and believed was wrong, so I do the opposite" and it made all the difference in my life and happiness. My point is there is hope for liberals,

"forgive them for they know not what they do"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: