SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Could California go for Bush?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimlarsen wrote:
I understand that there are 100,000's of Viet Nam refugees in California. I wonder how they will vote. Then there are the Cathotics. Also the Italians. The wealthy. Business executives. And, of course, the military and veterans. Let's see who else is mad at Kerry.

I asked a question a few weeks ago about the Vietnam refugees. The ones I have met in Georgia are very conservative, love Bush, really for the Iraq war. I've met a few who have been becoming citizens so that they can vote in the election.
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gunbunny69 wrote:
California will go republican when the "Gay Bay" falls into the ocean and the Taliban invade L.A and the Hollywood freaks!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
volosong
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a life long Californian and grew up in a suburb of Los Angeles which at one time was "lily white". I still work here and as I contemplate retirement, it is looking more and more like I'll have to settle down "out of state".

As has been said, the only reason that Grey Davis was voted out of office is that he was living proof of the Peter Principle. Incompetent is the only word to describe his leadership.

Mr. Swartzenneger is a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. That, along with his name recogniztion (sp.) is the only reason he was elected to office. I did not vote for him, only because his pre-election poll lead showed him with a comfortable lead. This allowed me to "vote my conscious" and throw my support to Tom McClintock.

It will be a long, long time before California goes Republican again. The GOP in this state is in disarray and has no statewide leaders who are moderate enough to carry the state.

(please forgive my poor spelling)
P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volosong wrote:
It will be a long, long time before California goes Republican again. The GOP in this state is in disarray and has no statewide leaders who are moderate enough to carry the state.

(please forgive my poor spelling)
What's really frustrating is that the Republican message is really a winner. As some Republicans "grow" in office, they forget who they are, and what got them elected.

The lefty Dems are why California is in the mess its in. I takes alot of guts, time, and MONEY to go on a campaign to change a state that big.
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William wrote:
There are two Californias. The cradle-to-grave government dependants (read as democrats/liberals) live in the city centers - the greater San Francisco bay area and Los Angeles. (There is clealy something wrong with the water in the cities.)

They out number us, but the rest of California is pick-up trucks, chainsaws and guns, govenment-out-of-my-life consevative!

Look at the 2000 election county map.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/vote2000/cbc/map.htm

See my point?

That is quite interesting. I had no idea that Bush got that many CA counties. It looks as if his trouble is the metro areas.
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fort Campbell, you are right.

Most of the state's population lives around LA and the bay area into the Sacramento area. That's the blue areas along the coast that went for Gore. The lesser populated areas are farmers, ranchers, or self employeds. But, more and more Liberals are leaving LA and the bay area and moving to the less expensive areas to live (ie, cheaper housing) and they bring their liberal politics with them!

It's just a matter of time before those red counties turn blue. That's what we are noticing around here. Where I live is mostly Republican, but the Dems are moving in, more and more each year.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why is that, FreeFall? When the Repubs are the party who are much more representative of what the MAJORITY of Americans believe (and Californians are technically Americans) why then do the leftists spread their ideas, instead of vice versa?

Everyone? Is it because we have ceded too much ground, and now we feel like we cannot possibly make it up? Is it because we are not as passionate about are issues as "they" are? Are we just too apathetic, too content?

I am really interested in knowing what ya'all think, and what you think we can do about it, because it is obviously NOT acceptable to give over the US to these maniacs.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering why somebody would grab "freefall" as a name in here. Are you in USPA by any chance? Wink
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimmymac wrote:

Everyone? Is it because we have ceded too much ground, and now we feel like we cannot possibly make it up? Is it because we are not as passionate about are issues as "they" are? Are we just too apathetic, too content?

Conservatives have been too apathetic in the past. We tended to think that the Liberals were just wacko kooks that nobody took seriously. Especially those in CA. But I hope that we learned our lesson in 2000. I heard on Fox that there were an estimated 4 million Conservatives who did not bother to vote in 2000 because they did not think that it was necessary. I certainly hope that each of them votes in 2004. If they do then Bush should win easily.
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimmymac, I found this article about why California is now mostly democratic rather than republican. This explains it much better than I can:

http://www.republicanmainstreet.org/chapters.asp-id=17.htm

Toward the bottom, it explains that the Latino vote, women voters and the modern entreprenuers and wealthy folks here are now mostly democrat. This is much different than a few years ago when California was a Republican stronghold.

Wing Wiper, my husband is a private pilot, that's as close as I get to parachuting! Can't remember how I came up with the name to be honest with you.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am really interested in knowing what ya'all think, and what you think we can do about it, because it is obviously NOT acceptable to give over the US to these maniacs.

As an independent I can give an outsider's insight. It's an image problem and I blame that on hollywood and the mainstream media. How can that be fixed? Well for one thing, the professors and college administration have got to stop hindering bright young Republican journalism students. And, all news media need to hire these people. I have yet to figure out how to do this. I'm going to look into finding some of these students online and go from there.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeFall wrote:
Wing Wiper, my husband is a private pilot, that's as close as I get to parachuting! Can't remember how I came up with the name to be honest with you.

I'll bet you were dreaming of John Kerry's "margin" as it is to be announced on November second in the late evening. Wink
Chuck54
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

California going for Bush would be too much for me to handle. Is it possible to die from glee?

I live in Sacramento and the surrounding counties are all Bush. I ride my motorcycle through those counties on a regular basis and see Bush signs everywhere, huge signs without a mark on them (farmers here would probably shoot vandals). It makes me feel real good, but I know that the large cities are dem country and its just a simple matter of math.

Zell Miller
Chuck54
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fort Campbell wrote:
. I heard on Fox that there were an estimated 4 million Conservatives who did not bother to vote in 2000 because they did not think that it was necessary. I certainly hope that each of them votes in 2004. If they do then Bush should win easily.

I was almost one of them. And they likely stayed home because they figured that there is no way this state would go for Bush. Given the stakes of this election, it will be a severe dereliction of duty for CA republicans to stay home.

Zell Miller
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: