SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ads Pulled from station airing Stolen Honor -- Reversed!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Ads Pulled from station airing Stolen Honor -- Reversed!!! Reply with quote

Three major advertisers have indefinitely pulled their advertising from our local TV station that will be airing Stolen Honor. One of them is where we buy all of our groceries. Guess we'll be giving that business to someone else. We're drafting email and letters now. May consider picketing the stores and handing out flyers to other customers, if there are any other Mainers reading this who might like to do the same.

Maine has 4 electoral votes and we are one of the few states with a formula so it's not "all or nothing". RealClearPolitics shows 3 leaning Kerry and 1 a toss up. In one of the scenarios, that one could be critical for Bush. Recent polls show Kerry's lead shrinking in Maine, up by only 2.5, within the margin of error.

Guess we'll find out what "battleground state" means here Smile

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/local/041015wgme.shtml

edited: Hannaford's has reversed it's decision. Sweet!

Last edited by ohanakat on Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ads Pulled from station airing Stolen Honor Reply with quote

ohanakat wrote:
Three major advertisers have indefinitely pulled their advertising from our local TV station that will be airing Stolen Honor. One of them is where we buy all of our groceries. Guess we'll be giving that business to someone else. We're drafting email and letters now. May consider picketing the stores and handing out flyers to other customers, if there are any other Mainers reading this who might like to do the same.

Maine has 4 electoral votes and we are one of the few states with a formula so it's not "all or nothing". RealClearPolitics shows 3 leaning Kerry and 1 a toss up. In one of the scenarios, that one could be critical for Bush. Recent polls show Kerry's lead shrinking in Maine, up by only 2.5, within the margin of error.

Guess we'll find out what "battleground state" means here Smile

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/local/041015wgme.shtml

Email your comments to the station at

comments@sbgi.net

tvmail@wgme.com
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for adding the links, fortdixlover. Hubby and I are collecting our thoughts and planning how to roll this. To moderators: I posted in this section to get quick exposure, but also would like to gather support and advice for our "campaign". Would the research section be the appropriate place for this?

Kat
fortdixlover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohanakat wrote:
Thanks for adding the links, fortdixlover. Hubby and I are collecting our thoughts and planning how to roll this. To moderators: I posted in this section to get quick exposure, but also would like to gather support and advice for our "campaign". Would the research section be the appropriate place for this?

Kat

I think a more direct economic campaign directed towards those "advertisers" would be of benefit.

Such as: how would you like to lose most of the military and ex-military families who shop at your stores for your disrespect shown towards a documentary about the suffering of former POW's?

-- FDL
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestion, FDL. Initial thinking is to hit this from the free speech/free press angle -- why are these advertisers trying to prevent Maine (and northern New England) citizens from access to information and news? The news that they're trying to restrict is also important.

Kat
Stevie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, Kerry has his stuff showing on MTV and Sundance stations.... no equal time there for Bush....
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By pulling their ads, THEY ARE BEING POLITICAL!

And they insult the intelligence of every American! Don't they think we have a brain? Can't we turn off the TV or change the channel??

We need to keep a list of all those companies who decide "not to be political!"
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the point we plan to drive home, Barbie, especially with Hannaford's. They have openly taken a side by their actions. We aren't dummies Smile

Maine is so evenly divided that it's suicide to do something like this IF the word gets out. Same Same here with the liberal slant in the media. It was okay to cram Dan Rather down our throats every night but heaven help us that our CBS affiliate might show a documentary. This hypocrisy is probably what bothers me most!

Kat
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial email sent to both email addresses above:

Quote:
Dear WGME:

I have just read a news report regarding the Stolen Honor "controversy," which I see as nothing more than anti-capitalists attempting to silence veterans, who have fought to protect the U.S. Constitution and, in particular, your and my First Amendment rights.

Those that pull their ads because they don't want to be "political", by that very act are being political. Not to mention, anyone who does pull their ads know that it will hit the papers. Which of course, will contain "non-political" statements regarding such an action.

Those people who claim that Stolen Honor should not be shown because of "journalistic standards" insult the intelligence of every American. We do have intelligence. We also know how to turn off the TV or change the channel.

I am very certain, that many Americans will keep note of those companies who decide "not to be political" and vote from here on out with their dollars accordingly.

Sincerely,

<NAME>

We need to keep that list, and mean every word! Evil or Very Mad
Paul Woll
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in California.

When and on what channel will this documentary be on?
I can't find any information on this.

I have directtv.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What advertisers? So they don't want the folks interetsed in that story to see their ads and buy their products?? Thanks for telling us your political views, makes it an easy choice!! Let's find out who they are, and Let's do our thing, ya'll...
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do we have a list of those who have pulled their ads? I would like to tell them what i think and how many people will be watching the show and how much busines they will miss and how mnay people they are insulting by doing what they are doing.
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great letter, Barbie! Hit the nail on the head.

This is primarily a local issue, but obviously has wider interest because I suspect the DNC or Kerry Campaign put pressure on these folks to try to stop the airing of Stolen Honor. Some background, if needed...

WGME is a CBS affiliate in Portland, ME that is owned by Sinclair Broadcasting. Last week when I learned here (SBVT) that Sinclair stations would be showing Stolen Honor (or portions), I wrote to the station manager to ask when and also voice my support. Got an immediate reply. I also told him I'd decided never to watch CBS because of the Dan Rather thing, but did like the local broadcasting and would modify my boycott because they had the courage to broadcast Stolen Honor.

This morning, our local paper, the Portland Press Herald, owned by the same folks who own the Seattle Times (Blethen), ran an article and an op-ed piece that several local advertisers had decided to pull their business from WGME because they were going to run the "Kerry smear piece".

The advertisers are Hannaford Supermarkets (operating throughout Maine and into neighboring states, as well), a car dealer, and a law firm (personal injury trial lawyer, of course!)

"Hannaford is apolitical, and our employees have varying views on issues," said Caren Epstein, Hannaford's spokeswoman. "We object to being positioned politically."

Well, IMO, they just positioned themselves VERY politically!

Since posting earlier, I've called our Hannaford store where we do ALL of our grocery shopping, and talked to the store manager. Told him we had had excellent experience with them and spoke highly of the store, but unfortunately we would have to take our business elsewhere because of the corporate political decision. I told him it was a free speech/free press issue and Hannaford should have stayed out of it, I see their decision as nothing but political and clearly supporting John Kerry and taking a stand against the Veterans who have served this country and deserve to be heard. Also that we citizens have a right to see all sides of an issue and don't expect our grocery store to try to "protect" us from anything. I was polite, and he clearly listened and will pass the word along.

Next I called WGME and talked to one of the news folks. Same comments for them, except renewing my support for their airing of the documentary and that I know the newspapers' comments about all negative response simply isn't true.

Maine is a battleground state and in one scenario could play a key role relative to our small population. The state is quite evenly divided. Two R. Senators (moderate); two D. representatives (also moderate) and an evenly split state house and senate. People tend to vote for people here, not straight ticket either way.We've had two independent governors and were the first to elect one back when I was a kid.

SBVT folks (unless in markets served by these particular advertisers) probably can't have a big impact on this particular situation, but I think this comes from "outside Maine" and can be expected in other markets, particularly where Sinclair has a presence. How it plays here could impact other places.

I'm still pondering my next steps, letting it percolate a bit before doing more. We're considering trying to organize a boycott/protest of the stores in addition to a letter campaign to the local stations and newspapers.

If anyone here wants to weigh in (as Barbie did), it certainly wouldn't hurt. Might be good practice for what else may be coming.

WGME is the TV station (good guys!)
Dave Kaplar
News Director
WGME News 13
dkaplar@wgme.sbgnet.com

Hannaford Supermarkets only has form email for feedback:
http://www.hannaford.com/contact.htm

The Portland Press Herald
http://pressherald.mainetoday.com

Thanks to all for any support! It's wonderful having the resources here, and should this be repeated in other Sinclair markets, we may be onto some sort of Kerry conspiracy to block our rights and freedoms once again.

Sorry for the long post!

Kat
Lee Gauge
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shop at the York Hannaford's regularly. I just sent them an email to let them know that I would go somewhere else if censorship was their corporate policy.
Nature-ally hold 'em in scorn.
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

way to go, neighbor Smile

here is the email I just sent to Dave Kaplar at WGME:

Quote:
I'm outraged at the Press Herald's article and the advertisers who have pulled their advertising. For starters, I've called the store manager at Hannaford's Millcreek (where we spend at least $500/month) and politely told him we'll be taking our business elsewhere, and why.

I see this as a free speech and free press issue. I don't expect the place
where I buy groceries to "protect" me from information that should be widely distributed. We citizens can be trusted to see all sides and make up our minds! Their action is clearly political and I'm madder'n hops that they've inserted themselves into the fray!

I've been following the campaigns closely this year and am simply disgusted at the continuous attempts of the Kerry campaign to keep a large group of Vietnam Veterans from having their say. This is not the first, but it is the first that I know of that is hitting close to home. My husband is retired from the Coast Guard, a Vietnam era Vet who also served in the Gulf War and helped keep our shores safe in Maine and Hawaii. We just moved home to Maine last year after 15 years in Hawaii. We are registered Republicans, but not locally active -- well, until now Smile We were active in Hawaii, both as delegates and my husband worked for the legislature as well as serving as research director for the Linda Lingle campaign -- she's now Governor Lingle and is coincidentally visiting Maine today. Our primary reason for supporting the Republican party in Hawaii was our deep belief in balance, that no group should be in power so long that they get complacent. We tend to be moderate. I'm the Maine native, and we have moved in with my mom in the house where I grew up (South Portland) following my dad's death. Yes, it was hard to leave Hawaii, but Maine's a great place to live, too.

Anyways, thought our political leaning should be disclosed. What really
outrages us about this is what we see as dirty politics, attempts to silence
Americans who have earned the right to have their perspective heard.
Regardless of how we come down on the issues or the candidates, it is
despicable that this kind of "totalitarian" arm twisting is being allowed to
happen.

If you're being deluged with negative mail and calls, here's one firmly in
support! We will go out of our way to support the advertisers who stick
with you on this and will vocally avoid those who do not. We have not yet
decided whether to organize a boycott, and would appreciate knowing of
anyone else who might be.

I'm sure this is causing you and your staff a lot of heartburn. I want to
believe it's worth it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Stolen Honor" All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: