SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Poll Analysis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slednfool
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Good Poll Analysis Reply with quote

Possible poll manipulation?

http://denbeste.nu/special/polltrends.shtml
W.P. Wily
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Poll Analysis Reply with quote

Slednfool wrote:
Possible poll manipulation?

http://denbeste.nu/special/polltrends.shtml

He certainly makes a good case for it.

Quote:
In my opinion, the polls were being deliberately gimmicked, in hopes of helping Kerry. In early August it looks as if there was an attempt to engineer a "post-convention bounce", but it failed and was abandoned after about two weeks. But I'm not absolutely certain about that.

The data for September, however, is clearly an anomaly. The data is much too consistent. Compare the amount of jitter present before September to the data during that month. There's no period before that of comparable length where the data was so stable.

The September data is also drastically outside of previous trends, with distinct stairsteps both at the beginning and at the end. And the data before the anomaly and after it for both Kerry and Bush matches the long term trendlines.

If I saw something like that in scientific or engineering data, I'd be asking a lot of very tough questions. My first suspicion would be that the test equipment was broken, but in the case of opinion polls there is no such thing. My second suspicion would be fraud.

Click the link and check out the chart. Shocked
ccr
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These spikes, peaks, trends and valleys are all normal and accurate.

A POLL IS NOT A PREDICTION -- IT IS A SNAP SHOT.

Public opinion is fickle. Events in the political environment will impact the polls very quickly. Sometimes a change sticks (for example -- SVPT permenantly altered the environment), sometimes it is temporary (for example -- the GOP post convention bounce for Bush and the smaller post first debate bounce for Kerry).

We are still 16 days out. That leaves many, many news cycles for events to impact the political environment, and determine the outcome of this election.

This race is close enough that the beneficiary of any major event between now and election day will be the winner.

Ideal world, you run a campaign and build a big enough lead that you don't have to worry about an event you don't control determining the outcome. That hasn't happened here -- for either side. If not for SVPT, Kerry would probably be in that position.

http://www.learnthat.com/quiz/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: