SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Liberal vs Conservative

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeWinn
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Liberal vs Conservative Reply with quote

A wise man once said 'If you aren't a liberal by the time you are 20, you have no heart, but, if you aren't a conservative by the time you are 30, you have no brain'. Nuf said.

GunnerMike
Spectre Gunner and 141 FE
Dedicated to Rico. KIA March 14, 1971.
Love ya man.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be Churchill, and we can quibble about the exact ages, but he might have given a little more slack....

"if you're not a liberal by 18 you have no heart, but if your not a conservative by 38, you have no head."

given our backgrounds you and I may have jumped the gun on the conservative.

Bruce
SP4 CamRahnBay 70-71
22nd Repl Bn
MikeWinn
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya, brother. Camrhan Bay, except for being in the Nam, was a beautiful place. Wonder what it's like now?

GunnerMike
Spectre Gunner and 141 FE
Dedicated to Rico. KIA March 14, 1971.
Love ya man.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

You got that right..."a beautiful place"...the Cam Ranh beach may be one of the most beautiful in the world, and the airport has been open there again since last month. Currently hotels in Nha Trang look like the only way to stay tho' and I'm not sure if the old beach over by the old Med Evac facility is "available". Mebbe some one will check in here and update us...

It would be the compassionately conservative thing to do.

We Win, They Lose....Reagan
If you're not with us, you're against us...Bush

Bruce
CRB 70-71
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Tadd wrote:
Mike,

You got that right..."a beautiful place"...the Cam Ranh beach may be one of the most beautiful in the world, and the airport has been open there again since last month. Currently hotels in Nha Trang look like the only way to stay tho' and I'm not sure if the old beach over by the old Med Evac facility is "available". Mebbe some one will check in here and update us...

It would be the compassionately conservative thing to do.

We Win, They Lose....Reagan
If you're not with us, you're against us...Bush

Bruce
CRB 70-71

Well, they've opened up a big new place across the way -- do a Google on Vin Pearl Resort. Otherwise, the place to stay in Nha Trang is the Ana Mandara.

As for the airport, yes, it is open, and taking the place of Nha Trang's strip. They have built a Cam Ranh-Nha Trang highway to lessen the time it takes for the 20+ mile drive. The fact that they have done all this tells me they have big plans for the Cam Ranh area.

By the way, Don Johnson fell in love with the place (Nha Trang) a few years back. He's opened a restaurant somewhere in CA called Ana Mandera.

Doug

Who is, at the very least, compassionate.
garb1015
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Cam Rahn Bay Reply with quote

It is interesting to hear about some of the changes in the last 33 years. I was in Cam Rahn Bay in March '71 processing out of country. I do remember how nice the beach was.
I was stationed in I Corps just south of Hue. I doubt if that area has been modernized to any extent though. But, I have wondered from time to time what some of the places I knew looked like today.
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the money (right!), I'd love to take about a month, and tour Vietnam and Thailand, and go back to many of the places I was at way back when we all were young!

Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cam Rahn Bay Reply with quote

garb1015 wrote:
It is interesting to hear about some of the changes in the last 33 years. I was in Cam Rahn Bay in March '71 processing out of country. I do remember how nice the beach was.
I was stationed in I Corps just south of Hue. I doubt if that area has been modernized to any extent though. But, I have wondered from time to time what some of the places I knew looked like today.

Yes, it's still, well, not modernized. The ride from Hue to Danang (the portion towards Danang) is beautiful. They are drilling a tunnel thru the mountain so the trucks can go faster and safer. The tourists will still take the scenic route, which is called the Hai Van Pass -- Pass of the Clouds.

If any of you have done that drive, you may remember the old French bunker at the high point.

Doug
garb1015
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Doug.
There never was much in that area except Hue. I'm not surprised to hear it hasn't changed.
The Hai Van Pass was notorious for attacks on convoys back in those days.

I know what you mean, War Dog.
I guess we were lucky to have an 'all expenses paid' trip back then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: