SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Law vs. Rights
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Law vs. Rights
I'm conservative. Law trumps rights.
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
I'm conservative. Rights trump law.
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
I'm liberal. Law trumps rights.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm liberal. Rights trump law.
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
I'm neither. Law trumps rights.
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
I'm neither. Rights trump law.
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 19

publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Law vs. Rights Reply with quote

ROWELG has made assertions regarding conservative and liberal views of laws and rights and their relative importance. http://www.swiftvets.com/VetsBB/viewtopic.php?p=10506#10506

I believe this is a fair statement of his point of view:

1. For liberals, rights trump law.
2. For conservatives, law trumps rights.

He can correct the above if need be, but based on my reading here is a poll to measure sentiment on the board.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll sit on the fence for a while an mull this over.

One of the things on my mind is John Kerry. Many people have described him as a traitor for meeting with the enemy in France and then advocating their 9 point "peace" plan.
Now, I am sure that what he did was in violation of the UCMJ (law), but did he still have a right to do it.

Well...let's see. We all have the right to break any law we so desire as long as we are willing to pay the price. As hard core criminals say"if you can't do the time, don't do the crime".

So, is Kerry just an unpunished criminal or do we suspend the "law" for certain people under certain circumstances. Is that what we are talking about when we say "rights trump law". Could Kerry break his oath and the law because, in his opinion, his cause took precedence over the law. Who decides that?

Like I said, I'll mull this over for a while.
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question about it, Law prevails. Rights are only ineffect within the confines of law. Such as Freedom of Speech: Law counter is slander, defamation of character etc. Me exercising my rights must not infringe upon yours. It is our right to practice any bonifide religion, however in the Mormon faith that right is restricted by bigamy laws, other religions that use sacrifices are restricted as well. Our rights are a privelege and can be taken away such as voting, gun ownership for committing a crime. Even our citizenship can be revoked for treasonous acts. So the answer is simple Law trumps Rights. Now for the Kerry issue, I don't know how he got away with it for this long, but rest assured he will pay the piper before it's over. Semper Fi.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to sound like Clinton but how do you define "rights" ??

In the U.S. our founding fathers outlined the rights of citizens and enforce those rights by enacting laws. Rights can not be infringed without due process of law and those laws are defined by the people which is our/their right.

Laws are created based on the prevailing mores or majority desires of the society that envisioned them. Laws are transitory, subject to change at the will of the people - which is a right. This is the premiss that I disagree with Marine4life. Rights are not restricted so much as surrendered based either on the societal mores of the time or the actions/acceptance of the person or persons effected by them.

So, to attempt to answer the poll. Rights trump law up to the point where those rights have not been restricted or surrendered by choice and enforced by law.

Why the convoluted logic? I get downright tired of hearing folks say their rights are being taken away. Nothing could be more untrue; those rights were surrendered either by a firm choice, or more likely apathy.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Law vs. Rights Reply with quote

publius wrote:
ROWELG has made assertions regarding conservative and liberal views of laws and rights and their relative importance. http://www.swiftvets.com/VetsBB/viewtopic.php?p=10506#10506

I believe this is a fair statement of his point of view:

1. For liberals, rights trump law.
2. For conservatives, law trumps rights.

He can correct the above if need be, but based on my reading here is a poll to measure sentiment on the board.

My first thought was that Laws trump rights. However laws are authored by men and often times flawed. i.e Womens right to vote, Roe V. Wade.

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One conservative got it right so far. That's 0.333. Very Happy
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

publius wrote:

So you have set yourself up as the sole ruling authority on this matter. If we don't agree with you, we are wrong?
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpro wrote:
publius wrote:

So you have set yourself up as the sole ruling authority on this matter. If we don't agree with you, we are wrong?

Of course he is! That's classic liberalthink. "Only I (we) can judge what is right (correct) when it comes to rights. I am flexible, intelligent, superior, and see the world as......I want it to be!
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No carpro and ASPB, I'm just a good American who takes the rights and responsibilities of citizenship seriously enough to have looked into it.

People have said a few things. Which view do you find most persuasive? If thinking about Kerry makes your head hurt put that aside and think in more general terms. Which is ascendent rights or laws?

Ask yourself about the nature of the Constitution -- do we get our rights from it? Think about the Bill of Rights, a part of the Constitution. Isn't that the purpose of the Bill of Rights, to give us our rights?
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks need to get their stories straight. Liberals are frequently bashed here for not knowing anything like conservatives do, and then when one says he knows something on some subject you're ticked because now he thinks he's a know-it-all. Hard to keep up.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Publius, it is your contention that Kerry is a criminal that at this point is still unpunished?
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goofydog I agree to some extent about the people having the right to write laws. But most law rewrites are from liberal Judges interpreting them to fit their agenda. For instance in most states it is illegal to do sodomy, but most of those states are now allowing gay marriage and or unions. The basic laws of this land are and have been iron clad for years, murder, rape, theft, robbery etc. Most of our laws come directly from the Ten Commandments ie the Bible. Rights are a different topic all together. We have certain rights which are outlined in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The exercise of any right has to be in conjunction with the law. Due process is a right not a law, the 4th ammendment guarantees due process, but law overrides that when it is felt that you pose a threat to the public until and during your trial. You are held in jail such as Scott Peterson even though he is presumed innocent until a jury convicts him. Same with O.J.. Law overrode his right to freedom, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Rights are being trumped every day by law, which is enforced by the Courts. Most laws that are written today are actually to enhance the original laws already ineffect, or diminish them as it is in some cases. Semper Fi.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

publius wrote:
No carpro and ASPB, I'm just a good American who takes the rights and responsibilities of citizenship seriously enough to have looked into it.

People have said a few things. Which view do you find most persuasive? If thinking about Kerry makes your head hurt put that aside and think in more general terms. Which is ascendent rights or laws?

Ask yourself about the nature of the Constitution -- do we get our rights from it? Think about the Bill of Rights, a part of the Constitution. Isn't that the purpose of the Bill of Rights, to give us our rights?

Rights which by definition does NOT include entitlements! As determined by the will of the "majority" of the people either through laws enacted by their representatives of, if necessary, by constitutional amendment. Not determined by the will of a minority expressed through interpretation by activist liberal or conservative judges.

The Bill of Rights come from the people and they can change it any time it becomes necessary to maintain order and equal opportunity.
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpro wrote:
So, Publius, it is your contention that Kerry is a criminal that at this point is still unpunished?

No, he is not a criminal. I know what he said. It was hyperbole. No one charged him then and no one is charging him now.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to comment on liberal judges; that they continue to sit on the bench and interpret law is the fault of the people who allow them to do so.

Thomas Jefferson, in drafting the Constitution, I think said it best. (Please pardon my paraphrasing) ...[sic] document does not grant the people rights so much as define the limitations of our government...the people empower government, not the reverse...

On this point I am a staunch conservative - severly limited government.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: