SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John O'Neill - Nightline - Post Comments HERE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougReese wrote:
sevry wrote:

So let me ask you. Why do you call John O'Neill names?

I'm not much of a name caller. Then again, John O'Neill goes around on talk shows

What 'goes around', huh? Well, what if you have no reason to be calling him names?

Quote:

which in itself denigrates my service and the service

And nobody's denigrating your service, then. I've made that clear. What people find objectionable is this taint of dishonesty that seems to hang over your efforts in the present day. Those are two different things. And that Kerry was the one, over so many missions, the only one to receive the Silver Star is . . . . well, it strikes people as odd, given the description of what happened that day, given that it appears the official military record up through the chain of command is also tainted with dishonesty in Kerry's definite favor.

Quote:

sevry wrote:

Other than your report that Kerry contradicted himself, apparently, on 50 caliber in later tales of his exploits, or that Short did so, you have here corroboration of a single gunman, fleeing for his life, and shot in the back by Kerry.

That's your spin on what I said

It's not 'spin'. And I've always said, feel free to correct me if you disagree. I certainly do not wish to put words in your mouth. I've said I prefer the truth. And just maybe the reason my constant repetition of that, to you, hasn't gotten through is because you - Doug - do not? One can only imagine.

Quote:

I only know of one person who has said he recalled seeing a killing wound on that guy, and it wasn't in the back. I only vaguely recall seeing a leg wound, nothing else, other than that he wasn't all shot-up, bloody, etc.

Well you weren't clear, before. So I can amend this, as follows:

• Kerry has removed himself from the battle. The 23 joins a charge following an RPG attack.
  • You find your way up the shore after the events.
  • And you are regaled with a story by John Kerry.

• A single gunman who presumeably had fired remained on shore
    • In beaching, the 94's 50 caliber was removed as a weapon. You have no opinion on whether this was a good tactic.
    • Belodeau, the M60 forward gunner, got off a few rounds before his weapon jammed, again according to Kerry.
    • Even if the gunman came into Short's view, he fired not a shot from the 50 caliber, according to Kerry.
    • Kerry dashed off the boat as Belodeau ceased firing.
    • Kerry chased down the gunman, who may have been armed - which you failed to notice - and shot him in the back (see last).
    • There may or may not have been any wounds from the M60.
    • However you do recall seeing a single wound on the leg you cannot otherwise identify.
    • The gunman appeared to be dead, and you observed no wound to the chest - and so, therefore, whether the exit wound was in the front or back. And though you try, you simply cannot remember now.

If that is now still incorrect - please correct it. From what I can see, from your OWN testimony, you essentially agree with John O'Neill, but not necessarily with John Kerry, in 2004, whose statement to you, in 1969, you now ironically utilize in what you believe is a successful effort to contradict O'Neill. True?
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USAF66-70 wrote:

I’d hoped we could draw brother Doug back from the dark side.

I get the sense that Doug is - conflicted.

I have no reason to doubt his bravery, or particularly his competence, in Vietnam. A number of others, here, seem to similarly admire him for that. And I think he wants to 'be friends' when this is over with others who served, who maybe never got the chance to meet him under those difficult conditions.

But I think he's holding out for a Kerry victory, as well, despite the obvious sandbagging that I suppose you could lay at the feet of the Hil machine. And we're all tempted to fudge the facts, and steer away from the embarrassing past if we think our candidate has a chance. It's quite a temptation. And I frankly don't believe his testimony, now, as I've suggested rather specifically in the most recent messages. This brave and competent soldier seems to have literally been on the scene, standing right over the corpse - and saw nothing.
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ord33 wrote:

Mr. Reese, from what I have read in the book I would hardly call it "denigrating" your service, in fact the book (pg. 82-85 or so) said something along the lines of you deserving a higher medal than you received compared to the Silver Star John Kerry received. And from what I have read on your post, that seems to be true, you did do essentially more heroic things in the face of the enemy than John Kerry on Feb. 28th. As far as the whole private investigator deal, I obviously am not able to speak on this.

Well, if he had actually stated what I told the private investigator in the book (he didn't), I wouldn't have seemed quite so heroic. . . . .because I wasn't. Not even close.

D
drjohn
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't Kerry have sent someone else to knock off the VC? Did I read correctly that there were still troops on 94?

I mean, he abandoned his command.

Doug, I admire your tenacity in hanging around and answering all these questions. So while we try to change your mind, perhaps you are trying to do the same.

As you said, forgetting about Kerry's service and concentrating on his political record is a good idea.

But my brother-in-law was one of those guys who was called a baby-killer time and time again in no small part thanks to John Kerry. Were I a liberal I could not in any conscience support a man who bore false witness against his fellow soldiers, and I wonder how you get by that.

The end does not justify the means.
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn wrote:
Shouldn't Kerry have sent someone else to knock off the VC? Did I read correctly that there were still troops on 94?

I mean, he abandoned his command.

Doug, I admire your tenacity in hanging around and answering all these questions. So while we try to change your mind, perhaps you are trying to do the same.

Yes, there were troops on board, but they were useless in this particular situation - - - - great guys, I might add, but that day, right then, for that specific purpose, useless.

No, I'm not really trying to change anyone's mind. This site is supposed to be for the truth. That's what I'm trying to state -- the truth as I know it, as other guys there that day have stated (on occasion, to me directly), and also as those there on the other side have told me.

A person can have the truth -- about what we are talking about here and now, for example -- and still be against Kerry. That's fine with me. Their choice. But making that choice with the truth, (instead of some of this crazy stuff out there, and believe me, some of it is nothing but crazy) is better than without the truth . . . . in my opinion.

Oh, and it's the Italian in me -- my mother's half (the hard headed thing).

Doug
drjohn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do I have to say to change your mind and bring you into the light? Wink

My mother is Austrian and she's hard-headed too.
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn wrote:
So what do I have to say to change your mind and bring you into the light? Wink

My mother is Austrian and she's hard-headed too.

Well, I can be bought Smile

Doug

Who fully expects that to be spread all over the net by, well, by someone. (No, not you)
SooZQ
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW guys! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Really support the troops, send them a letter and care package! Visit:http://www.anysoldier.com
drjohn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your terms fungible? Smile
GT
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Reese,
All right, I'll bite. What did you tell the private investigator?
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougReese wrote:
This site is supposed to be for the truth. That's what I'm trying to state -- the truth as I know it

You now say- yes, yes. But.

So, what about it, Doug? Is that what happened, as described just above? You perceived that little, that day? I think Hogan's Heroes was a 60s show, wasn't it? There was a famous self-parody character in that?

And, anyway, there's this, as well. A promising sidelight as paid consultant? I can only imagine the scenario they came up with. But I thought you might find it interesting.
RMalloy
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug - I'm going back to March 13 -

You were there when Kerry got his rice pellets-grenade shrapel
wounds, you stated that Kerry threw the grenade, how badly was
he wounded? Was it apparent to everyone he was wounded?

How close was he to the rice hootch when the grenade
went off?

How was the Nung killed, you said it was minutes after Kerry's
grenade incident, was it a booby trap or VC firing?

Were you on the Swift Boats later when they encountered the mine
that destroyed PCF23? If you were, which boat?

Thanks Doug
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMalloy wrote:
Doug - I'm going back to March 13 -

You were there when Kerry got his rice pellets-grenade shrapel
wounds, you stated that Kerry threw the grenade, how badly was
he wounded? Was it apparent to everyone he was wounded?

How close was he to the rice hootch when the grenade
went off?

We (the same three advisors who were around for 28 Feb) were there, but not next to Kerry when all that was going on. As I said a few posts back, we were along the canal bank. We were off the boats, but not far from them. Kerry, Rassmann, the Nungs and I believe I read somewhere, Thurlow(?) were inland a bit. . . out of sight from us.

RMalloy wrote:

How was the Nung killed, you said it was minutes after Kerry's
grenade incident, was it a booby trap or VC firing?

I remember it being from a command detonated mine. More specifically, I remember being told it was from a command detonated mine. I wasn't right there. I also recall his being carried back to the boat in a pancho because his body was such a mess.

RMalloy wrote:

Were you on the Swift Boats later when they encountered the mine
that destroyed PCF23? If you were, which boat?

No, we were dropped off at our village, Dong Cung, which was where the Dong Canal empties into the Bay Hap River. This was the same canal we were up 28 Feb, but a little further north from that point.

I believe there were four boats that went up the canal. Kerry and another had the Nungs. Don Droz and another came over and picked us up. Another boat waited (I think he had mechanical trouble on the way in) off shore near our village for the boats to return. So after what went on up that canal, we were dropped off, and there were five boats that made their way out together towards the Gulf on the Bay Hap River.

Doug
RMalloy wrote:

Thanks Doug
RMalloy
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doug for taking the time to answer my questions about
March 13.

How did you and Kerry get in touch (8Cool? Did he contact you first?
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMalloy wrote:
Thanks Doug for taking the time to answer my questions about
March 13.

How did you and Kerry get in touch (8Cool? Did he contact you first?

No. Back when I lived in Indy, American Trans Air would have day trips to DC once in a while. I tried several times to arrange meeting him, and was finally successful.

He said he kept in contact with some of his Navy buddies, but that I was the first Army guy to contact him. He asked if I was in touch with "that tall red headed Capt", and I said no, I didn't even remember his name (after all, I just lived in the same little village with him and 5-8 other Americans for eight months, why should I remember his name?)

That's one of the good things to come out of all this . . . . that tall red head and I have re-connected after 35 years.

Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 27 of 33

Jump to: