SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Law vs. Rights
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Law vs. Rights
I'm conservative. Law trumps rights.
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
I'm conservative. Rights trump law.
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
I'm liberal. Law trumps rights.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm liberal. Rights trump law.
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
I'm neither. Law trumps rights.
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
I'm neither. Rights trump law.
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 19

ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: E Pluribus Unum - Out of Many, One Reply with quote

ROWELG wrote:
ASPB says: "When we mention law we're really talking about the specific rights and obligations of individuals and/or entities that have been agreed to by written contract."

I just go one step further, and that this written contract has been debated in public by elected officials., in the end being a consensus of millions of citizens. E Pluribus Unum - Out of Many, One

Totally agreed as it relates to a national constitution. In effect, that's what the ratification process via statewide constitutional conventions of locally elected representatives is all about.
ROWELG
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: the poll results Reply with quote

The poll above shows that conservatives and neither have mixed beliefs when it come to law, with a slight edge of law trumping rights.

The most important result is that NO liberal see LAW over RIGHTS. I suppose that can be spun to mean liberals are RIGHT, and the others confused. Personally I know the gang (collectivist) mentality when I see it.
ASPB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: the poll results Reply with quote

ROWELG wrote:
The poll above shows that conservatives and neither have mixed beliefs when it come to law, with a slight edge of law trumping rights.

The most important result is that NO liberal see LAW over RIGHTS. I suppose that can be spun to mean liberals are RIGHT, and the otheres confused.

I think it has more to do the with the lack of clarity and bias in the way the question was posed. If it were made clear that rights are embodied in the organic law of the nation either specifically and/or by the reservation of unspecified rights to the individual the vote would be heavily weighted to "LAW" At least among the sane! Laughing
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the methodology of a liberal, word things so that they are fuzzy and open to interpretation. But both are very straight forward in thier wording if you look at them individually. Mix them together and you confuse the issue. But the bottom line is you are free to exercise your right's until it infringes upon law, therefore law trumps rights. That is why we have legal limit's on our rights, 2nd ammendment, 1st ammendment, which are the two basic ones that everyone is most concerned about. Exercise your rights in violation of law and just see what gets trumped. Argue this liberals and see if you can convince me otherwise. I assume that this lead's to Kerry's right to freedom of speech in 1971 against the USA, in that instance he was in violation of law pertaing to his so called freedom of speech, UCMJ, US Code. Semper Fi.
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: the poll results Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
I think it has more to do the with the lack of clarity and bias in the way the question was posed. If it were made clear that rights are embodied in the organic law of the nation either specifically and/or by the reservation of unspecified rights to the individual the vote would be heavily weighted to "LAW" At least among the sane! Laughing

As a representative of the insane I would like to point out that the poll, which you declare unclear and biased was based on these assertions by ROWELG:

ROWELG wrote:
Current Liberal Supreme Court justices are now looking beyond our Constitution, our Civil Code, into foreign and international laws as to just what is RIGHT (constitutional) or not RIGHT (not constitutional). EQUALITY RIGHTS trump majority laws legislated and authorized by Congresses, Governors, Mayors, and Presidents.

American Civilization is (was) a LEGAL system, not a JUSTICE system. American Civilization was founded upon LAWS authored by the elected majority via congress and city councils. We arrest by laws. We judge by laws. We condemn and sentence by laws. Nonetheless, to the liberal, to the leftists, RIGHTS trump law; thus rights trump justice, thus rights trump NATIONAL CULTURE as we know it. The minority, not the majority, has the RIGHT to rule.

If you would like to offer an evidence based argument that the poll is unclear and biased do so, instead of simply declaring it so.

As to the rest of your remarks they are simply uninformed.

American citizens possess their rights merely by virtue of their personhood, their existence; our rights are in no way granted to us by the Constitution or its element the Bill of Rights. The Constitution does not embody our rights unless by embody you mean that the Bill of Rights purpose is to explicitly protect a limited number of certain enumerated rights, while mentioning that the list is not complete. Your nod to the 9th and a mostly ignored portion of the 10th Amendments is correct and unusual for a conservative in my experience.

Rights always trump law in this nation because rights precede law -- they are fundamental, unalienable, they come from our creator. Laws are the servants of rights and where law contravenes rights the law is in error and will be struck down. In America, no elected legislature may pass a law in conflict with a right and expect that law to survive. It may be unusual language that ROWELG has chosen but in his parlance, rights trump law.

James Madison said it better but this might be a start toward understanding:

"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights, was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections." -- Robert H. Jackson, Justice of the United States Supreme Court and Chief American Prosecutor, Nuremberg Trials
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What seems to be a problem here in understanding whether law supercedes rights or vice versa, has to do with laws restricting rights and therefore, law seeming to be superior.

No right, including those protected in the Bill of Rights, is absolute. The right to free speech is not. You cannot shout fire in a crowded theater. The 2nd is not absolute. You cannot own a Stinger. No right may be exercised in such a way that it harms another. That a legislature can make a law restricting a fundamental right found in the Bill of Rights is not in dispute. It can. But, in doing so it has a very high hurdle to clear, for if it unduly burdens an individual's liberty interest to think and act as he pleases, provided he neither "picks the pocket" nor "breaks the leg" of another, then the law is unconstitutional. By definition.

The fact that laws can be crafted to legitimately restrict a right enumerated in the Bill of Rights does not imply that the law supercedes the right, that the law trumps the right. The right comes first, always.
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB and Marine4Life, kindly explain how your views are consistent with judge Jackson's statement. I could compare and contrast them but let's hear from you directly. If you think Jackson is wrong and you are right, how about offering some authoritative supprt for your opinions instead of just offering opinion?
ASPB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Publius,

You're just parsing words. Without a legal contract between the people and the government wherein the people cede certain of their individual rights to the government for the common good and reserve others, there are no enforcable rights; other than those imposed by force. Without such an organic law, (read contract) all that is left is anarchy.

By accepting citizenship you are accepting the terms and conditions of the contract. Therefore, to the extent a right has been ceded by law, your individual rights are trumped by the contract you signed (law) in accepting citizenship.

If you feel a law is unduly restrictive you may use the democratic process to convince a majority that the restriction is inappropriate.

I personally find one major fault in our system and that is that laws are oft randomly passed and enacted prior to Judicial review of their constitutionality.

Congress enacts, Executive affirms, Judiciary reviews all before enactment. But what the hell, that would eliminate 2/3 of the bottom feeding attorneys.
Marine4life

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK exactly what quote are you refering to by Judge Jackson? We have a Supreme Court and a Court of Appeals to check and balance misguided Judges, or one's that interpret the law to further their agenda. Many decisions are overturned daily that don't reflect the true essence of the law. Most judges in my opinion are far to liberal and interpret to fit a wharped agenda rather than follow the letter of the law. They are all former Attorney's need I say more. Semper Fi.
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:

Publius,

You're just parsing words. Without a legal contract between the people and the government wherein the people cede certain of their individual rights to the government for the common good and reserve others, there are no enforcable rights; other than those imposed by force. Without such an organic law, (read contract) all that is left is anarchy.

By accepting citizenship you are accepting the terms and conditions of the contract. Therefore, to the extent a right has been ceded by law, your individual rights are trumped by the contract you signed (law) in accepting citizenship.

If you feel a law is unduly restrictive you may use the democratic process to convince a majority that the restriction is inappropriate.

I can't tell if or how much of a disagreement betwen us there is here. The contract language sounds a lot like libertarian-speak to me.

Our rights, the most important ones, to get technical, spring from nature. Some are rights constructed in law that support those natural rights. Citizenship is not required to enjoy one's voluminous natural rights in this country. Only personhood is. It is fundamental, not parsing words to assert the truth that the Constitution does not give us our rights, it protects pre-existing rights. The fact that there are certain additional rights of citizenship, some found in the constitution, doesn't negate that. Those positive rights are all derivative from the original unalienable natural rights our creator endowed us with.

Or are you arguing that we are not endowed by our creator with unalienable rights but by "signing" a contract, the Constitution, with the USA?

Oh, and if I, as an American citizen, believe a law unconstitutionally injures me I take it not to the legislature but to court, where there is an orderly process for considering my complaint. I need place no faith in majorty rule, the very process that produced the law in the first place. The Founders coined the very phrase tyranny of the majority. Why, do you think?
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

publius;

Its interesting you would bring Jackson into this since one of his claims to fame was part of the unanimous decision which, by its lack of action, upheld the unconstitutional seizure of property, restriction of liberty and virtual imprisonment of U.S. citizens WITHOUT due process of law, based solely on race. (Hirabayashi v. United States) A side note to this is just one week prior he had wrote the majority opinion upholding free expression ie; West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette

Further, his stance on legal representation in trial was overturned in the Gideon case. Another is the scope of search incident to arrest (I personally agree with Jackson on this one however the court has seen fit to more strictly enforce the 4th ammendment)

Footnote: On Justice Stone's death, two sitting justices threatened to resign if Jackson was appointed Chief Justice.

Justice Jackson was a brilliant, self-educated jurist however his opinions and judgements were reflected by then prevailing public sentiment and perhaps not solely based on the rule of law. In certain matters he clearly demonstrated that Law trumps Rights.

My point, and this goes back to the initial posts though probably not expressed as well as I could have is this: The poll as written, while perhaps not biased is subject to personal observation and experience. The questions posed on face value are clear cut, however based on history and experience they become too gray to show an accurate result.

If your intent by posing this poll was to encourage a lively debate, then you have succeeded. In most cases there is a word to describe that sort of poster which I'll refrain from saying in consideration of the moderators.
Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine4life wrote:
I will put it simply;

1. Give up all of our rights, do we still have law?
Answer: YES

2. Give up our law's, do we still have rights.
Answer: NO

Argue it all you want but the facts are facts. Semper Fi.

Let me see if I can throw a monkey wrench in here. The poll didn't list the position that:

1. Individual rights (God-given or otherwise, take your pick) exist in the absence of society - that's why they're individual rights. I was taught that the Bill of Rights in recognized - and did not grant - the rights it described.

2. Laws are written and enforced to define and implement the "social contract" referred to earlier, so as to maintain people's enjoyment of their rights and their rightful places in society. People convicted of crimes are sentenced to their rightful places - until they've served their sentences, and are released. The limitations on individual rights, it seems to me, are based on the needs of society and the needs of the government.

I believe that the "original intent" of the Bill of Rights was to restrict the government's ability to limit certain rights of the individual. These restrictions on the government were placed for the protection of the people from the government, not vice versa.

To address Marine4life's comments:

Laws without rights represents total authoritarianism. Not a pleasant way to live.

Rights without laws make rights unclaimable; you still have them, but they do you no good. This sounds like total anarchy.

It seems to me that civil society is a balancing act between the absolutely free enjoyment of all personal liberies, and the necessary restrictions on behavior required for co-existence.

To finally put my comments in line with the forum; I believe (from twenty years as a John Kerry "constituent") that John Kerry believes that laws and the accompanying restrictions on behavior are his mission in life, and that without constantly creating new ones, he'd be out of a job.
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoophyDog wrote:
publius;

Its interesting you would bring Jackson into this...

My point, and this goes back to the initial posts though probably not expressed as well as I could have is this: The poll as written, while perhaps not biased is subject to personal observation and experience. The questions posed on face value are clear cut, however based on history and experience they become too gray to show an accurate result.

If your intent by posing this poll was to encourage a lively debate, then you have succeeded. In most cases there is a word to describe that sort of poster which I'll refrain from saying in consideration of the moderators.

It is what Jackson said about the Bill of Rights and not Jackson's distinguished career that caused me to quote him. Are you suggesting Jackson was wrong about the Bill? Madison is better, a perfect unimpeachable authority on the Bill of Rights, but a lot longer-winded on the subject.

If you don't like the poll, which I crafted to be 1.) exactly faithful to ROWELG's language, I have quoted ROWELG to prove it, 2.) as unbiases as possible by providing all the permutations of the proposition combined with the political spectrum and 3.) brief enough to fit the format, well then go ahead and post a better one to get at the same ideas. Fine with me.

As for your implication that I am a troll, since you obviously missed this, I'll have to quote some more:

publius wrote:
Let me see if I understand. It is your firm position that for conservatives law trumps rights?

Do most conservatives here agree with the following:

1. For liberals, rights trump law.
2. For conservatives, law trumps rights.

(I should put up a poll, probably.)

War Dog wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
(I should put up a poll, probably.)

Yes, why don't you?

Woof!

In any case, the difference between posting to encourage lively debate -- which you agree has happened -- and trolling, is that everyone should aspire to the former while no one the latter. If you've read over my participation in these law/rights threads and think I'm a troll, well, fine. No one can read minds.
Marine4life

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't debate any further after this post, it is fugile, but answer this question if not to me just to yourself;

Can the law take your citizenship away from you? If you answer YES then your argument is wrong about rights trumping law as citizenship is the only thing that really guarantee's you your rights.

If your answer is NO, then you don't understand the argument and don't know the law. If you don't know the law then you can't effectivly debate this subject let alone start the thread.

Verbal threats are written in law as "Terroristic Threats" not once have I ever seen a Court rule that it is OK because you have a 1st ammendment right. Or for "Brandishing a firearm" because you have a 2nd ammendment right. Walk into a Court room with a 9mm and see if your 2nd ammendment rights trump law. Your argument is not valid as is proven every day in the Courts of this country and in the Prison's. Most laws are written to protect your rights, murder, rape, robbery etc and you wouldn't have any rights without them, example one who murder's goes to Prison for depriving another person of his right's to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That is written in the Remanding Order of Judgement. " Whoever is remanded to the (state) Department of Correction's for a period of 25 years to life in prison, for depriving whoever of his right to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness".
Your senario just doesn't fit into this anywhere that I can see. Semper Fi.
ASPB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

publius wrote:
ASPB wrote:

Publius,

I can't tell if or how much of a disagreement betwen us there is here. The contract language sounds a lot like libertarian-speak to me.

Our rights, the most important ones, to get technical, spring from nature. Some are rights constructed in law that support those natural rights. Citizenship is not required to enjoy one's voluminous natural rights in this country. Only personhood is. It is fundamental, not parsing words to assert the truth that the Constitution does not give us our rights, it protects pre-existing rights. The fact that there are certain additional rights of citizenship, some found in the constitution, doesn't negate that. Those positive rights are all derivative from the original unalienable natural rights our creator endowed us with.

Or are you arguing that we are not endowed by our creator with unalienable rights but by "signing" a contract, the Constitution, with the USA?

Oh, and if I, as an American citizen, believe a law unconstitutionally injures me I take it not to the legislature but to court, where there is an orderly process for considering my complaint. I need place no faith in majorty rule, the very process that produced the law in the first place. The Founders coined the very phrase tyranny of the majority. Why, do you think?

Actually its not Libertarianspeak although they subscribe to it in part. Its common law speak all the way back to pre-Magna Carta days.

I agree that we have certain unalienable rights whether endowed by a creator or nature. But without the contract with the nation that enumerates "some" of those rights and obligations with the balance of them being reserved to the individual albeit undefined, you have no means of defending and enforcing those rights.

The only thing you can ultimately challenge in a court of law is the constitutionality of laws passed by the majority; in effect your challenging the terms and conditions of your contract with the nation (as amended by Congress)

The "only" thing the courts should interpret is whether the contract is valid as it relates to your complaint. They can't grant you a "right" that is not contemplated by the drafters of the laws and intervening intepretations. They can't make make law.

If you're still unhappy with the contract after their interpretation you have two avenues you can pursue.

1. Use the legislative process to change terms of the contract.
2. Void the contract by renouncing citizenship and leave the country for a wonderful democracy like France! Crying or Very sad

Therefore in practice the terms of your contract with the nation trump your individual rights because you signed them away when you chose to live here and be governed by the terms of the contract.

Law Trumps Rights!

Capice?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: