SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pat Tillman's Picture Used on Anti-War Poster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderators/admins: Bowderize or edit as you deem necessary.

An open letter to Professor John J. Leaños, Arizona State University.

Professor Leaños:

You are a worthles @$$hole.

I am fully aware of your rights to freee speech and expression. Hell, I've worn the uniform of this country - on active duty and as a reservist - for over a quarter century to defend the right of idiots such as you to enjoy freedom. I've come close on at least one occasion to dying defending the precious freedoms you profane. I've gained permanent disabling injuries while defending freedom.

I still wear the uniform. I feel that it's important to defend the rights of every American - including snitheads such as you - to be free.

However, this time you have simply gone too g*****n far. I will not remain quiet, you SOB. You are simply WAY THE HELL OVER THE LINE, m*********r.

Pat Tillman - whose image you recently used in anti-war posters for political purposes, and into whose silent, dead mouth you dared to put words - gave up a F**KING SIX-FIGURE ANNUAL SALARY AND A THE LIFESTYLE OF A PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE to defend his country after September 11, 2001. It should be obvious to even a STUPID IGNORANT GIRLYMAN such as yourself that Pat Tillman knew exactly what he was doing - and would NEVER, EVEN ON THE PROVERBIAL COLD DAY IN HELL, HAVE REFERRED TO HIS DEATH IN THE SERVICE OF HIS NATION AS A MISTAKE.

What in the hell have you ever done for your country, dickface? Hell, all you've ever done is F**KING PERFORMANCE ART!!! Pardon me, but you don't even have the right to KISS PAT TILLMAN'S @$$, MUCH LESS SPEAK FOR HIM.

I wish you a speedy and irreversable one-way journey to hell. F**k you and the horse you rode in on.

Last edited by Hondo on Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hondo. Tell us how you really feel. Shocked

Now that was a concise and very emotional reply. I feel the same way but that idiot will just look at your letter and think you are a conservative wingnut. People like that do not think and they do not care who or what they have to stomp on to get "Their Truth" out. He sounds just like a MM wannabe.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdonions wrote:
Hey Hondo. Tell us how you really feel. :shock:

Now that was a concise and very emotional reply. I feel the same way but that idiot will just look at your letter and think you are a conservative wingnut. People like that do not think and they do not care who or what they have to stomp on to get "Their Truth" out. He sounds just like a MM wannabe.

Yeah, I've sent this to Leanos. Yeah, I know Leaons will ignore me.

I couldn't give a flying f**k what Leanos thinks.

I've also written the ASU president, the AriZona board of regents; and my state legislators (I live in Arizona) - and recommended that they investigate whether this SOB used state time, facilities, or supplies. If so, perhaps the @$$hole will get fired.

I've also let other AZ residents on this board know what's going on. so they can do the same.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neverforget wrote:
Anti-war fliers with Pat Tillman's picture on them are showing up on valley streets, and no one seems to know who put them there.

The posters have a picture of Pat Tillman in his Army ranger uniform, then right next to his picture is a message that's supposed to suggest it was written by Tillman himself.

They showed the creep professor on the new last week. What a piece of work, enough to make you puke. Even worse, this guy is teaching our kids!

My wife made a quilt that she calls the Freedom Quilt. It has all sorts of patriotic symbols on it, different blocks depicting different scenes. There's the twin towers, Betsy Ross, she even has a block with one of our women soldiers in fatigues, complete with hair hanging out of her helmut. But my favorite is the block she did of Pat Tillman. She has a photograph of Pat, in uniform, tranfered to a piece of material, and placed in a central part of the quilt. It's pretty hard to look at that quilt, and not get choked up.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update time.

The following is the text of an e-mail I received today from the Arizona Board of Regents. It relates to a the complaint I sent regarding the "good" Professor Leaños. If this is a PR "hand job", it's a good one.

Quote:
We are in receipt of your recent communication regarding Pat Tillman. The following letter was prepared by Gary Stuart, President of the Arizona Board of Regents, in response to the letters of concern we have received.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with me regarding the use of Cpl. Pat Tillman's photo to express a personal anti-war message by an ASU faculty member. I sincerely regret this highly inappropriate use of Cpl. Tillman's image.

As we look more deeply into this matter, we can only hope that his friends, family and thousands of admirers do not conclude that this single exercise of bad judgment on the part of one faculty member represents how the Arizona Board of Regents feels about the matter. While Professor Leaños is entitled to express his private political views, I cannot condone or even begin to understand his motivation or the potential harm his ill-advised poster has caused.

An administrative review has been commenced by the appropriate officers at ASU. Among other things, the investigation will explore whether anyone else at ASU was involved in what appears to be a blatant attempt to trade on the celebrity and patriotism of one of ASU's most honored and respected graduates. Professor Leaños' decision to use this photo is an unforgivable affront to an American hero. Hopefully, everyone will understand that this kind of insensitivity to Mr. Tillman's family is limited, as far as we know, to one single assistant professor. This individual does not speak for ASU, its faculty, or its administration, and he most assuredly does not speak for the Arizona Board of Regents.

President Crow has already stated that he found Dr. Leanos' ill-advised, first-person narrative which accompanied the posting of the photo of Cpl. Tillman to be "offensive and insensitive to the Tillman family." I join Dr. Crow in denouncing this and I will issue my own apology to the Tillman family. Neither the Arizona Board of Regents nor ASU's administration had any prior knowledge that the poster in question was being created or would be displayed anywhere on campus.

All of us in the Arizona University System are proud of the many affiliations with Pat Tillman. His association with us and his noble sacrifice represent the very best of our students and our faculty. I can only hope that the blatant attempt to misuse his image will not tarnish his reputation or the strong feelings that we have for him, his family and his legacy to America and the Arizona University System.

Gary L. Stuart, President
Arizona Board of Regents

Joel Sideman
Executive Director
Arizona Board of Regents
2020 N. Central Ave., Ste 230
Phoenix, AZ 85004

I just hope that the "administrative review" they reference finds that Leaños used ASU time/equipment/facilities/supplies in preparing his posters - and that they fire the SOB as a result.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for staying on this, Hondo. I wonder how we can find out what the outcome of the administrative review is?

I just do not want the board to think that since they sent out this letter everyone is mollified and it can be business as usual.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimmymac:

Admin actions take a while - probably after the election at the earliest. They'll be sure to give this "fine individual" due process. I'd be surprised if anything happens before the 1st of the year.

Frankly, I was surprised to see this much this soon given the liberal leanings of most of academia.

I plan on following up every so often if I don't hear anything through the media and/or other sources.

My guess is that anything will be handled quietly. However, if he's no longer on the faculty next term (please!), we may be able to discern what happened even if everybody in the administration stays mum.

PS: ever get around to watching Top Gun again?
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate that I've had to become so cynical that I have to read everything for spin, gotchas, etc. Hopefully that letter does reflect the intent of the Arizona Board of Regents. But I notice that there are only three names on it: Gary Stuart, Professor Crow, and Joel Sideman. Presumably, then, they are all favor of the review. Now how many other people are on the Board of Regents, whose names are not mentioned? Are they not mentioned because they are on the other side, or have not taken a position? If the whole Board of Regents was behind the review, then why are not more names included, or something said that would convey that meaning?

I'm suspicious.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart is the ABOR President; Sideman is the ABOR Executive Director. Both are fairly well-placed on the ABOR and IMO good to have on our side.

If I recall correctly, ABOR has 9 members.

Crow is the ASU President, under whose authority the administrative review is being conducted. Since the ABOR is VERY influential in allocating the AZ University system's budget, I think Crow just might listen to what they have to say. (grin)

I've also gotten a shorter reply from one of my state Senators indicating he would be looking into the matter.

I'm hopeful. This could indeed be a PR "hand job"; as I said, if so it's a GOOD one. We'll see.

Or more precisely: hopefully, soon we'll see one LESS ASU professor.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are sending the wrong message by not canning his a** right away. The creep admitted to it. Why a review? Please.
julsmith
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we wonder why our college-age students are becoming so liberally brainwashed. I want my daughters to be well educated, but not with this kind of crap on the campus. It makes me wonder what the future holds for our country. I'm just glad people on this forum take the time to speak up!

Thanks so much, you're great to read after a day out seeing tons of Skerry signs.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, if he did this on his own time, using his own $$$, facilities, and supplies, he's virtually certainly in the clear due to a little thing called freedom of speech. The same thing that lets us call Kerry a lying sack of . . . pâté.

Freedom of speech cuts two ways. I'd still rather keep it than toss it.

On the other hand, if he used University time, facilities, or supplies, he's technically committed theft from the state of AZ. That's grounds for firing and/or prosecution (although the amount of $$ involved - along with the politics - virtually guarantees he'd never be prosecuted).
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will probably be offered a full professor, tenured position at Berkley, even if ASU does can him.

Our universties are ridiculous. I have posted about them ad naseaum. I am sure you are all sick of listening to me rant and carry on. My husband went to Penn and Stanford. (everyone in my family has a good education except me, which is what you would expect since I have never had a real job.) Penn is ridiculous. The Ivy League is ridiculous. It is amazing I would even go out with him when he told me he went to Penn. My immediate reaction when he told me was, "You went to Penn? Are you a Red, or just pink in the middle?" He said he was ROTC, I almost choked on my light beer. I didn't think Penn allowed ROTC students. (to this day, when he gets something wrong I shake my head and say, "And he graduated from an Ivy League school." Stanford was better, and anyway it was graduate school and the Navy paid for it. A bunch of the folks in the program were also military, so it was a nice little conservative microcosm within Stanford. So yeah, if you can, talk your kids or grandkids into attending smaller, private colleges with a more conservative or balanced viewpoint. Hillsdale College in Michigan is good.

Otherwise, you might have what happened to you what happened to my family in 1973: my hot shot brother went off to get a college edumakashun and he came back all bright eyed, long haired, and bushy tailed, and proceeded to lecture my Marine Colonel dad on his "fascist politics." As soon as the words came out of his mouth I excused myself from the table and went to get my mom. I figured there was gonna be a brothercide. Now my brother is a staunch conservative, and I love to give him a hard time about what a genius he was in kolledge. I also like to tell his sons, "But of course that was back when your dad was a sensitive atheist," and stuff like that. When my nephews tell me their dad is being hard on them, I tell them their dad has somewhat fascist views.

My brother hates me. Very Happy

No, Hondo, I havent had a chance to watch Top Gun, but this is kinda funny: I was getting my weekly manicure and pedicure (eat your heart out, John Kerry) and one of the nail techs said to her friend, "Doesn't she look like Meg Ryan?" and the other tech said, "Yeah, she does, but when Meg Ryan was younger, like the "Harry Met Sally" Meg Ryan, not Meg Ryan after she got dumped by Russell Crowe." (These people are serious celebrity people. They could write for STAR magazine, I think.) But it wasa nice thing to say, because I am closer to Meg Ryans real age, but probably they just wanted a bigger tip.) So now I have to watch "when Harry Met Sally" to see if I should have given her another 5%. Next week I can argue with them about which Meg Ryan movie I most look like now. I can say, "No no, no. I am Meg Ryan from "Sleepless in Seattle" dammit!"

Figures I would remind people of a goofy comedian, instead of some glamorous actress, though. Maybe I should try to be more alluring. Yeah, right. Maybe I could just work on not being so goofy. Could be worse I guess: I could remind people of Lily Tomlin. Or Whoppi Goldberg. Confused

Anyone remember what this thread was about? Oh yeah, Pat Tillman. Evil or Very Mad Now I am mad all over again.
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimmymac Like always I just love to read your posts they put a smile on my face Very Happy Wow Meg Ryan ... she should feel honored Wink
Please just stay the way you are I don't think anyone here would have you any other way Very Happy
Dabba55
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John.Leanos@asu.edu

You can send the Tillman desecrater an email. And Kimmymac, I think you should write a book. You're hilarious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: