SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conservative vs Liberal, defined and explained
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROWELG
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Benefits from French and UN International Law are? Reply with quote

JN173, yes, The French Indochina War was 1946-1954. The last French Advisor left in 1957. The American Advisory Period was 1954-64. A couple months before JFK assassination, the leader of South Vietnam was also assassinated. LBJ was given a plate full. By the end of JFK period, before LBJ took office, there were 23,000 Americans in Vietnam. In 1964, there were 140 KIA's. By 1965, all hell broke loose.

But, my central discussion remains. It was French Territory. We jumped in to Vietnam to comply with INTERNATIONAL LAW (treaty), to assist the French. They bailed out. They were our adversary in the Southeast Asia Treaty Organization decades ago. There are an adversary in the UN. I never did say France was an ENEMY, as some liberals want to "read into" what I say. France on their own volition left Vietnam and left us holding the bag. International Law (treaty) did nothing for us in this.

I also amend my question. What has France done for America in the past century? I never did say France was an ENEMY, as some liberals want to "read into" what I say. They have been an ADVERSARY, not an ENEMY, not a FRIEND. France will never be there when we need them.

Last edited by ROWELG on Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits from French and UN International Law are? Reply with quote

ROWELG wrote:
. They have been an ADVERSARY, not an ENEMY, not a FRIEND. France will never be there when we need them.

I agree. Never trust a Frog.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sillyrabbit wrote:
thanks for posting within my post, classy.

Sure, I'll read that weblog. You read this one.
http://blog.newstandardnews.net/iraqdispatches/

And pictures and numbers don't lie. We're losing an average of 10 men a week. With the emphasis the U.S. Military puts on force protection I'd think it's realistic to assume that means we're killing about 200 a week, low end. This isn't including violence against Iraqi police and governing council members. This is a country doing okay? The violence and chaos in Iraq is not a liberal media 'myth' it's a fact of life for the country.

Save the Smartass Rhetoric if you want to participate here. You've been warned several times today and our patience is running short

Sorry I didn't realize asking not to have my posts edited when it's a matter of personal viewpoint, not rule-breaking constitutes "smartass rhetoric". However, your board your rules. Whatever.

I read Ali's blog. I don't claim that Iraq's democracy will fail, but it will without security guarantees. Without security, Ali is in a shallow grave. Yet for the next five years, security will mean U.S. firepower. How many soldiers are we willing to watch die for the cause of an Iraqi democracy? I don't claim it's not a noble cause, but if it's not realistic to assume we can do it will we think back and decide it was worth the bloodshed and divisiveness? My reading of the region is no, and even if Iraq democratizes it will look like Iran in ten years. Small groups of people can shift entire societies in radical directions, and I question how long the U.S. will be willing to protect a liberal government in Iraq from those groups.

Actually I'm sorry! It may have been me mistakenly editing your post instead of starting a new post. As a Moderator I can do that and I may have screwed up.
ASPB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
sillyrabbit wrote:
thanks for posting within my post, classy.

Sure, I'll read that weblog. You read this one.
http://blog.newstandardnews.net/iraqdispatches/

And pictures and numbers don't lie. We're losing an average of 10 men a week. With the emphasis the U.S. Military puts on force protection I'd think it's realistic to assume that means we're killing about 200 a week, low end. This isn't including violence against Iraqi police and governing council members. This is a country doing okay? The violence and chaos in Iraq is not a liberal media 'myth' it's a fact of life for the country.

Save the Smartass Rhetoric if you want to participate here. You've been warned several times today and our patience is running short

Sorry I didn't realize asking not to have my posts edited when it's a matter of personal viewpoint, not rule-breaking constitutes "smartass rhetoric". However, your board your rules. Whatever.

I read Ali's blog. I don't claim that Iraq's democracy will fail, but it will without security guarantees. Without security, Ali is in a shallow grave. Yet for the next five years, security will mean U.S. firepower. How many soldiers are we willing to watch die for the cause of an Iraqi democracy? I don't claim it's not a noble cause, but if it's not realistic to assume we can do it will we think back and decide it was worth the bloodshed and divisiveness? My reading of the region is no, and even if Iraq democratizes it will look like Iran in ten years. Small groups of people can shift entire societies in radical directions, and I question how long the U.S. will be willing to protect a liberal government in Iraq from those groups.

Actually I'm sorry! It may have been me mistakenly editing your post instead of starting a new post. As a Moderator I can do that and I may have screwed up.

If it works, and I'm hopeful that it will in less that 5 years, it will be well worth it if establishes a beachhead for liberation of the middle east.

How many lives? Considerably more than have been given so far, but far less than 1 more major event stateside might cost us.

The devisiveness would be one hell of a lot less if it wasn't an election year. Just tells me that Bush cares more about doing the right thing rather than the one that would have insured reelection.

Without Iraq I believe we would have been at higher risk here at home and with the improving economy, he could have sat on his hands for the last 15 months and almost certainly been assured of re-election.

Just an opinion based on his ratings of 15 months ago and a firm belief that our 60 year ME policy is what put us where we are now. Appeasing totalitarian and repressive regimes has never ever worked. Reagan knew it and so does Bush.

Damn the political cost.
oldkayaker
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: what is liberal, what is conservative Reply with quote

Wow....this message thread has gone way out of wack again.'

From the above, the best I can determine is that a conservative can overspend government money as long as the spending goes for something the conservative thinks is essential.

Well, golly gee, that is the same thing that liberals are saying! Isn't it?
Confused

Sooo....based on fiscal spending...there is no difference between conservative and liberal.

Boy, glad I am non-partisan and live within my means because I expect the government to do the same; but, apparently from the above discussions (that are on point of thread) neither liberal or conservative knows what it means to be fiscally conservative.

OldKayaker,

Your sneering condescention to members of this forum will not not be tolerated. If you are unwilling to debate the issues in a civil manner your posts will be first edited, secondly deleted, and finally you will be banned from this forum.

Respectful dissenting opinion is welcome unlike sites you will find on the political left. However any commentary that attempts to diminish the value of our members views is not acceptable.

A Moderator
MikeWinn
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sillyrabbit wrote:
edited by Moderator!

Saying the greeks invented democracy is like saying they invented modern warfare. The brand of democracy practiced by the Greeks bears very little resemblance to that in place in the West today. MY UNDERSTANDING IS (and I'm not an expert so I could be wrong) that modern democratic philosophy was a product of the enlightenment writings of english and french writers such as rousseau, paine, and burke. I'm not qualified to argue political philosophy but that's what I remember from college.

And therin lies your problem. You are still quoting college fed political philosophy. I have heard rumors that there is an occasional liberal on our
college campuses. I prefer historian views that can quote facts that state
the Greeks initiated the entire concept of democracy. I am also painfully aware that facts are only used by the left when it suits their arguments.
This country used to be a melting pot where everyone came together from around the world to become Americans. Now, thanks to the left and their class warfare initiation, we have become the United States of the Offended. If y'all spent as much time, money, and energy uniting this country as you spend dividing it, this rancor exhibited in nearly every thread on this website would not exist.

GunnerMike
Spectre Gunner and 141 FE
Dedicated to Rico. KIA March 14, 1971.
Love ya man.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits from French and UN International Law are? Reply with quote

JN173 wrote:
ROWELG wrote:
. They have been an ADVERSARY, not an ENEMY, not a FRIEND. France will never be there when we need them.

I agree. Never trust a Frog.

BUT... the French are always there when THEY need US.
sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB - Sorry, didn't mean to accuse you, I thought that a mod did that intentionally.

Reagan may have known how to isolate and crucify European non-democratic nations but he employed zero of that same rhetoric against the nations that were commiting the most grave violations of human rights at the time: Iraq and China. Even George W. Bush, who champions himself as a champion of freedom has made absolutely no attempts to condemn Chinese tyranny or Pakistani torture. Why? Because foreign policy is about REALISM, nothing more nothing less, and the fact that you think ours is about MORALITY right now is because your vote has been solicited in populist language that the architects of U.S. foreign policy despise.

Mike
Again, I won't argue political philosophy. I'm not qualified. But if you think that 'liberal bias' in classrooms somehow leads professors to misteach when and where different philosophies developed, then you're biased yourself. It's like saying that a liberal astronomer won't tell you the right position of venus because he doesn't like the conservative position on venus.

Anyway, I think we're both right in a way. Athens was a democratic city-state but there were limits on who got to vote, i.e. those with more land and wealth had more than one vote and women/slaves/those without two Athenian parents didn't have a vote at all. That's closer to an oligarchy than a modern democracy. Heh. I mean it's not like a small amount of wealthy, un-elected elite set the political agenda in America or anything. Anyway, your point is taken, but French and English philosophers made crucial contributions to the Enlightenment, which led the way to secular democracy.
ASPB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sillyrabbit wrote:

Quote:
Reagan may have known how to isolate and crucify European non-democratic nations but he employed zero of that same rhetoric against the nations that were commiting the most grave violations of human rights at the time: Iraq and China. Even George W. Bush, who champions himself as a champion of freedom has made absolutely no attempts to condemn Chinese tyranny or Pakistani torture. Why? Because foreign policy is about REALISM, nothing more nothing less, and the fact that you think ours is about MORALITY right now is because your vote has been solicited in populist language that the architects of U.S. foreign policy despise.

You're missing the point ,

For the moment at least, China is busy getting wealthy and Pakistan is fairly firmly in our pocket in the war on terror. That, my friend, is REALISM. Changing the failed policy of appeasement in the ME after 60 years of idiocy is about REALISM. We put it off and got our ass kicked on 9.11. That REALISM.

And Silly, Be very careful about making charges about people being sway to "populist language" when you know nothing about them or their background, education, experience or the length and intensity of their beliefs. It will not be tolerated in this forum! Show some respect and you may even receive some! Arrogance will get you booted in a NY minute. And that is not a threat. Its a FACT, aka REALISM.

Let's get this thread back on point. Here is how it started.

Rowelg wrote:
Quote:
Politics is the public debate over values, principles, and virtues. Politics is the argument deciding the heart of a civilization.

Supreme Court Justice Kennedy defines "civilization" as "obedience to law". Where there is no submission to law (internal and external values), there can be no civilization. Conservative versus Liberal human conduct has to do with "obedience to law", and defines how one willfully consents to laws and principles. One group is a conservative (read from) translation of law. One group is a liberal (read into) translation of law, always reading between the lines.

Conservatives accept laws and principles, per se, as written, by not reading into the words their own ego spin. Conversely, liberals look at law as a guideline of reason. The modern Liberal examines the American Constitution as a "living" document, meaning they can alter their translation over time. To them, "ends justify the means". To them there is no black and white, just 100% gray. The RIGHT to bear arms in 2004 differs from the 1776 RIGHTS, per their private reasoning.

Current Liberal Supreme Court justices are now looking beyond our Constitution, our Civil Code, into foreign and international laws as to just what is RIGHT (constitutional) or not RIGHT (not constitutional). EQUALITY RIGHTS trump majority laws legislated and authorized by Congresses, Governors, Mayors, and Presidents.

American Civilization is (was) a LEGAL system, not a JUSTICE system. American Civilization was founded upon LAWS authored by the elected majority via congress and city councils. We arrest by laws. We judge by laws. We condemn and sentence by laws. Nonetheless, to the liberal, to the leftists, RIGHTS trump law; thus rights trump justice, thus rights trump NATIONAL CULTURE as we know it. The minority, not the majority, has the RIGHT to rule.

You wonder why the largest body of delegates to the Democratic Convention is teachers and lawyers, not labor or workers? One body propagandizes and softens the masses with their egotistical views of RIGHTS, and the other body jumps in and makes an extravagant livelihood on RIGHTS lawsuits. You wonder why you see a great civilization only in the rear view mirror?

sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't implying that you're dumb, it was unintentional if it came off that way. What I MEANT to say is that morality is still just as much of a foreign policy smokescreen as it was during Clinton's years.

You wouldn't have to be unintelligent to be swayed by an argument that emphasizes morality in foreign policy, I myself am swayed by that 'populist language' often. My point was that politicians prey on our desire to be good people for their own dry purposes of stability and hegemony. No disrespect intended, honestly.
oldkayaker
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: liberal vs conservative Reply with quote

I make a point about apparently no difference between liberal and conservative spending and ASPB...gets worked up!

Whats that all about. Aren't we discussing lib vs con?
oldkayaker
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: lib vs con Reply with quote

Thanks Rowelg, your comments enlarge the discussion and focus on the thread of your initial discussion:

Quote:
Supreme Court Justice Kennedy defines "civilization" as "obedience to law". Where there is no submission to law (internal and external values), there can be no civilization. Conservative versus Liberal human conduct has to do with "obedience to law", and defines how one willfully consents to laws and principles. One group is a conservative (read from) translation of law. One group is a liberal (read into) translation of law, always reading between the lines.

Sooo.... is it safe to say that a healthy democracy depends on strong differing points of view, discussing in an open forum with a level playing field? That any resulting actions by this group of differing views will probably depend upon deal making and compromises?
MikeWinn
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldKayaker,

I hope that last post wasn't leading to this site being one where "healthy democracy depends on strong differing points of view, discussing in an open forum with a level playing field? That any resulting actions by this group of differing views will probably depend upon deal making and compromises?" I'm certain that many other sites do just that. Not the purpose of this one, though. And it is that 'healthy democracy' that allows us on websites like this one to make and enforce rules that are made just for this site. As an aside, our constitutional republic only looks slightly like a true democracy.

GunnerMike
Spectre Gunner and 141 FE
Dedicated to Rico. KIA March 14, 1971.
Love ya man.
ROWELG
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: overspending and essentials Reply with quote

OLDKAYAKER SAYS: "the best I can determine is that a conservative can overspend government money as long as the spending goes for something the conservative thinks is essential."

That is half true. There are two ideas within this statement to pursue. There is the idea of overspending which is an ever changing function of the nations condition in some particular time interval, like war, or depression, or in a big recession, versus peace time and economic prosperity.

There is the other idea of essentials, of musts versus wants, of thrift versus squander, of investment versus expense. This can be subjective.

A simple example: fiscal conservative me views a daily $2 Starbuck as a luxory, a non essential. My fiscal liberal wife views a daily $4 Starbuck as a must, as an essential. Before tax, her essential costs this fixed income social security income household about $3,000 a year, pre tax. At least she doesn't pay via debt, putting it on her credit card. I just suck it in as she views my internet as a luxory, not an essential. I have a garage, a basement, and a shed filled with stored essentials she acquired over the years. You want to see where essentials end up, go to garage sales, and pay 5 cents on a dollar.

As I said, I know individuals who view going to the casino as essential. Worse, they put the cash on their credit card, and walk out the door empty pockets, and more in debt.

Both liberal and conservative congress will likely appraise the condition of the nation equally, and both run a deficit, which both have done, as Roosevelt did in WWII, and LBJ in Vietnam. However, when it comes to their beliefs in essentials, like my wife and I, there is a big difference. As I said in a previous post, it iis one thing to borrow money to pay solders to fight a war. It is quite different to borrow money to fix pot holes in the road, or build a 60 mile four lane highway in the middle of nowhere, to Tom Daschle's home town of about 20,000. To his home town, it is an investment. To me it is a non-essential expense. Laughing
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SillyRabbit wrote:

Quote:
Again, I won't argue political philosophy. I'm not qualified. But if you think that 'liberal bias' in classrooms somehow leads professors to misteach when and where different philosophies developed, then you're biased yourself.

There have been hundred of articles and stories in the media over the last three or four years documenting report after report about liberal professors and teachers at colleges and schools in this nation that have kicked conservative students out of their classes, suspended them, given them bad grades simply because these students dared to disagree with what these professors and teachers were teaching the class, or turned in work that was opposite of what the professors and teachers wanted. This happens every day in colleges and schools across this nation.

Conservative professors and teachers at these 'liberal' colleges and schools have been suspended, put on leaves of absence and outright fired because of their conservative beliefs, while the liberal professors and teachers are allowed to continue teaching their opinions to their students.

School and college textbooks have been changed and re-written to conform with the liberal view of history, economics, law, and many other subjects. Courses at many schools and colleges are tailored to the liberal view, opinion and ideas. Even when parents and other teachers and professors have protested and disagreed with it.

Liberals have managed to take GOD out of the majority of schools and colleges in this nation, or at least the public ones. Moralities and values that many of us were taught when we were young, are no longer taught. World diversity, toleration of homosexuals, masturbation is good for you, sex is good for you, global government, and many other subjects that a majority of America's parents object to are now being taught to elementary school students.

Teachers and professors are suspossed to teach the subjects, but they consistantly force their liberal opinions, and lack of moralities and values on their students. Students have been threatened with failure, bad grades, suspensions if they or their parents do not agree with the teachers and professors. Even in elementary schools, liberal teachers have sent notes home with students that are political in nature, and represent the liberal points of view on issues, elections, topics, foreign policy, anti-war, anti-Bush, etc...

Quote:
It's like saying that a liberal astronomer won't tell you the right position of venus because he doesn't like the conservative position on venus.

That is a really totally out of place and not relevant example. There is no liberal or conservative position on Venus. And if you don't think that there is liberal bias in our nations colleges and schools, then you are the one that is really blind.

Liberals have resulted in rules and laws being changed in our schools where children are expelled and/or suspended for stupid things like taking an aspirin, or other over the counter drug in schools, table knives in backpacks for the children's lunches, having bibles, and other equally simple, harmless things that were allowed and taken for granted when we were children.

I can go on and on with examples of this.

Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: