SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Edwards caused the flu vaccine shortage?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rikkoshay
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Edwards caused the flu vaccine shortage? Reply with quote

I just got this emailed to me, I haven't checked it out on FactCheck etc, because I don't necesarily trust them. Anyone have any insight to it's validity???? if true........ Very Happy

Quote:
 Flu Shot Info
 How the vaccine works:

Influenza vaccine is produced by growing the virus in eggs. The virus is killed and processed to create the vaccine, which is given by injection under the skin. The body then produces antibodies to the virus over the next two to four weeks. If the immunized person then comes into contact with the influenza virus, the antibodies attack and kill the virus before it has a chance to cause infection. The vaccine contains the 3 most likely strains to be active during the "flu season"

Why the shortage:

Almost half of the nation's flu vaccine will not be delivered this year. Chiron, a major manufacturer of flu vaccine, will not be distributing any influenza vaccine this flu season. Chiron was to make 46-48 million doses vaccine for the United States. Chiron is a British company. Recently British health officials stopped Chiron from distributing and making the vaccine when inspectors found unsanitary conditions in the labs. Some lots of the vaccine were recalled and destroyed.

Why is our vaccine made in the UK and not the US?

The major pharmaceutical companies in the US provided almost 90% of the nations flu vaccine at one time. They did this despite a very low profit margin for the product. Basically, they were doing us a favor. In the late 80's a man from North Carolina who had received the vaccine got the flu.  The strain he caught was one of the strains in that years vaccine made by a US company. What did he do? He sued and he won. He was awarded almost $5 million! After that case was appealed and lost, most US pharmaceutical companies stopped making the vaccine. The liability out weighed the profit margin. Since UK and Canadian laws prohibit such frivolous law suits UK and Canadian companies began selling the vaccine in the US.

By the way...the lawyer that represented the man in the flu shot law-suit was a young ambulance chaser by the name of John Edwards.

Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has all the makings of an "urban legend," to me, but it's possible.

Much of it is true - and then it has that UL "kicker" at the end.

Maybe someone who knows more about John Edwards' career could nail this down.
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have access to it but if anyone has a lawyer friend who can log into WestLaw's site they can search for cases by lawyer of record. May find even more than we'd expect???
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had read on another forum that the lawsuit from Edwards is a Urban Legend. The reason for the shortage is due to only two companies that are doing the manufactoring. One lost all 48 million + vaccines this year.

also their are only two companies is due to the profit margine.
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sdonions"]I had read on another forum that the lawsuit from Edwards is a Urban Legend. The reason for the shortage is due to only two companies that are doing the manufactoring. One lost all 48 million + vaccines this year.

also their are only two companies is due to the profit margine.[/quote]

I would still like to see the results of a search on WestLaw. I'd go to the law library but you still have to be working in a legal field and pay to access thier data.
achen50
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That also sounds like an urban legend to me but the real reason is just as revealing of the dems. Around 1996,(election time) one of bill & hilliaries pet projects was to provide lowcost immunizations to all the little children of the land.they forced through a bill that would have the feds buy up large quantities of vaccines at cost from the manufacturers ,who were strongarmed into the deal but they(PHARM COs) wanted some limited protections againsts lawsuits if there were problems with the vaccines. The usual suspects went screaming to the press about the big corps wanting to make billions of dollars without our rights being protected>( anybody remember the recent historonics about the the big Pham corps wanting protection against lawsuits involving the smallpox vaccines they were being forced to provide?) Anyway to make a long story short, the American Pharm Cos said screw this, if we can't make money and we aren't allowed to protect ourselves against trial laywers, go get your vaccines elsewhere. Now we see the results of all liberal intentions when they develope to their logical conclusion. Rush has told this story with the exact dates and HR #s if someone cares to look it up but I do remember when it was passed how it was going to bring an end to the dark ages according to clinton.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13956
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: