SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Balkanization of America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: The Balkanization of America Reply with quote

That was the headline in the San Antonio paper on Sunday. It went on to blahblahblah about the election and how divided America is yakyakyak.

So it begs the question: When is this mythical time in American history when we all just got along in utopian paradise?

Because I must have missed it. And I am a history buff, so I am talking here about the period of time covering the Stamp Act through the Patriot Act.

It would all be a moot point, except that the gist of the article was that the political debate is a bad thing, and passion is dividing us. "Why can't we all get along?" seemed to be the theme.

I wrote a letter to the editor and said that basically "we can't all get along" because approximately 50% of us, or 100% of the Kerry voters are idiots, that's why.

And then because I didn't want to seem rude, I said I hope they had a nice day.
momofthreegirls
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wrote a letter to the editor and said that basically "we can't all get along" because approximately 50% of us, or 100% of the Kerry voters are idiots, that's why.

And then because I didn't want to seem rude, I said I hope they had a nice day

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I just woke up the kids I was laughing so hard. My hubby would have probably ended with f you very much. Twisted Evil That's not very lady like though. Wink
Kimmymac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momofthreedarlinglittlegirls: My husband would send notices to his staff occasionally that said:

WHAT THE F***, YOU IDIOTS!!
(Strong memo to follow.)

He thought it was hilarious. I didn't think it was too morale building, but what do I know? I've never even had a real job.
shadowy
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can gloss over disagreements and go along to get along only to a point. Whether it's marriage, church doctrine, child-rearing, politics or war, you come to a point where there is too much at stake to compromise with someone you believe is wrong. It's just hopelessly immature to think that nothing matters more than being liked. So Nyah.
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Balkanization of America Reply with quote

Kimmymac wrote:
When is this mythical time in American history when we all just got along in utopian paradise?

Hey Kimmy - Can't remember who said it (gettin' a little older), but someone did say "Democracy is messy." It really is. But, somehow, it works. I don't really think anyone would want us all to agree on everything. That would be really boring, and would probably mean a dictatorship. Remember the old military saying: "A bitchin' troop is a happy troop"? It's when the troops are real quiet that you have a problem. We should be having a vigorous discussion on where this country is going. This is an important election. In theory, it's healthy. I have neighbors that are voting Kerry; they think I'm nuts; I know they're nuts; but we are still civil to one another and would immediately help each other if the need were there. I think the thuggery is actually quite limited in scope, though the skulldudgery may be somewhat more widespread. Back to the point, we've always had disagreement, we always will. But the country has survived, good times and bad, and gone on to thrive. I am basically an optimist about America and about our future. I think I will be even more positive after 2 November. Very Happy
Kimmymac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Democracy is messy, marriage is messy, heck! LIFE is messy. I agree with you, debate is a good thing. Civil debate is better, but it doesn't matter much to me--civil, uncivil, bare knuckles, whatever! Arm wrestle, best two out of three...lol.

I am sick and tired of hearing the whining: wahhh!! We don't get along, wahhh!! Stop it! You're making me think too hard!! I wanna go back to sleep!!

What does has to stop is the fascist attempts to stop Republicans (especially conservatives) from being able to express themselves at all. The protest thing and attempt to disrupt the convention in New York was an outrage.

Ooh, makes me so glad I took up kick-boxing. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: