SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A jeremiad against Michael Moore

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: A jeremiad against Michael Moore Reply with quote

A jeremiad against Michael Moore

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/006972.php

Christopher Hitchens has not only sat through Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11," he has patiently dissected its incoherence and dishonesty: "Unfahrenheit 9/11" ( http://politics.slate.msn.com/id/2102723/ ). He arrives at the following judgment and substantiates it in detail:

To describe this film as dishonest and demagogic would almost be to promote those terms to the level of respectability. To describe this film as a piece of crap would be to run the risk of a discourse that would never again rise above the excremental. To describe it as an exercise in facile crowd-pleasing would be too obvious. Fahrenheit 9/11 is a sinister exercise in moral frivolity, crudely disguised as an exercise in seriousness. It is also a spectacle of abject political cowardice masking itself as a demonstration of "dissenting" bravery.

Hitchens also recalls his own personal encounter with Moore:
In late 2002, almost a year after the al-Qaida assault on American society, I had an onstage debate with Michael Moore at the Telluride Film Festival. In the course of this exchange, he stated his view that Osama Bin Laden should be considered innocent until proven guilty. This was, he said, the American way. The intervention in Afghanistan, he maintained, had been at least to that extent unjustified. Something—I cannot guess what, since we knew as much then as we do now—has since apparently persuaded Moore that Osama Bin Laden is as guilty as hell. Indeed, Osama is suddenly so guilty and so all-powerful that any other discussion of any other topic is a dangerous "distraction" from the fight against him. I believe that I understand the convenience of this late conversion.

Do read the whole thing.
NoDonkey
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A jeremiad against Michael Moore Reply with quote

I recommend researching which theaters in your local area are going to show this dreck. Write them letters telling them you will never set foot in their theater again if they choose to show it.

Then stick to it. It's the only thing these people understand.
hist/student
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retracted

Last edited by hist/student on Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed it and suggest you consider doing the same!

Quote:
You signed the petition Stop supporting Moore's Fahrenheit 911 treason. You were joined by 9284 other people who also signed this petition.

Fellow Patriots:

I am calling on all patriots to show their support for our great country by boycotting the upcoming film "Fahrenheit 9/11". This anti-American propaganda is a shameful attempt to discredit President George W. Bush, our brave military and the war on terrorism.

With free speech comes great responsibility. While Michael Moore is protected under the U.S. Constitution and is free to spew his hate filled invective and lies, he is not protected from the reaction of the American public.

Fahrenheit 9/11 crosses the line of free speech in that it places all of us in danger by emboldening our enemies abroad. His anti- American message will surely fan the flames of hatred for us and thus, is tantamount to yelling "fire" in a crowded theater. He is not acting responsibly and I call on all Americans to speak out against this movie via their wallets. Boycott this movie and those theaters that choose to air it. Protest outside of those theaters that do choose to air this shameful propaganda.

Thanks to you and others who signed a petition to theater owners across America, a serious dent was put in Moore's distribution plans. To refresh yourself with the petition, please visit: http://www.conservativepetitions.com/petitions.php?id=248

I am merely one person exercising my constitutional rights as a consumer. Please do the right thing and prevent the war profiteer Michael Moore from exploiting the tragedy of 9/11 for personal and financial gain. Let's not reward him for his anti-Americanism. It's time for the silent majority to remain silent no more.

Respectfully,

Jon Alvarez

Baldwinsville, NY 13027
Founder of PABAAH.com
Patriotic Americans Boycotting Anti-American Hollywood

P.S. With the release date of Moore's smear rapidly approaching, let's redouble our efforts to let everyone know about the boycott. Encourage them to join you in this important stand. Tell them to take action against treason at: http://www.conservativepetitions.com/petitions.php?id=248

PLEASE EMAIL THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW:

Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed them all. Semper Fi.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: